PDA

View Full Version : Is becoming a marine out of my league?

JeVeux
05-17-09, 01:03 PM
Hi guys!

I've recently been thinking about becoming a marine, but I'mstarting to think it's out of my league :( I'm 16 now and have 2 more years left of high school, I'm not in shape now, but I decided with hard work I can be in great shape at the end of those 2 years. But then again, I have asthma, and the Corps probably won't even consider me because I still need to take my inhaler before I exercise, but I was also hoping that once I do start exercising and working out more I can get my chest and lungs used to it and my asthma won't be quite as severe. I'd still need to sign a waver though, right?

I just don't know what to do. I know I want to do law enforcement... something physical if not... but I don't just want to be a police officer. I wanted to go work for NCIS but apparently they don't have any jobs left because they're full :( Anyone have any advice?

Supersquishy
05-17-09, 01:11 PM
Hi guys!

I've recently been thinking about becoming a marine, but I'mstarting to think it's out of my league :( I'm 16 now and have 2 more years left of high school, I'm not in shape now, but I decided with hard work I can be in great shape at the end of those 2 years. But then again, I have asthma, and the Corps probably won't even consider me because I still need to take my inhaler before I exercise, but I was also hoping that once I do start exercising and working out more I can get my chest and lungs used to it and my asthma won't be quite as severe. I'd still need to sign a waver though, right?

I just don't know what to do. I know I want to do law enforcement... something physical if not... but I don't just want to be a police officer. I wanted to go work for NCIS but apparently they don't have any jobs left because they're full :( Anyone have any advice?
2 years is a LONG time, I guarantee more options for you will pop up your Senior year. Plus your goals and ambitions will change the older you get. If I were you I would think about getting the best grades I could get right now those will help you out i.e. scholarships, maybe focus on getting into an Academy, Naval, Merchant Marine, Coast Guard? That would be sh1t hot.

Francia
05-17-09, 01:19 PM
Hi guys!

2 years like stated above is a LOOONG time.. i knew i was gonna join my senior year so if you are wanting to work on it now when you have 2 years left till you can even go then you are way ahead of most people. As for your asthma i dont see as to why after a couple years of running your asthma doesnt start going away, yet i dont have it so i dont know. As for NCIS you still have a chance because if you think about it every fiscal year there is openings because while you are joining other people are getting out. So just work hard at it. nothing is just given to you

good luck!

JeVeux
05-17-09, 02:27 PM
:) Thanks guys! I'll definately keep that in mind. And that's true about wanting to get in while others are getting out. Thanks for the help!

MLMonk
05-17-09, 03:30 PM
In 2 years you can build yourself up to where the PT you do isn't that bad and the asthma won't be affected that much, or it might just go away completely, I'm not sure, I am not a doctor. I was told you can just get a waiver for asthma and they give you one of those breathing things during bootcamp in case you get an attack, but some others say you just get DQ'd, would anyone be able to clarify this?

Also, Marine is ALL WAYS capitalized :marine:

Good Luck.

JeVeux
05-17-09, 03:34 PM
That's true!! I didn't think about that. I'd probably definately need a waiver. And sorry Marine ^^;

And hmm... I don't know.. it'd be a little unfair just to DQ someone D: But I would know =)

rvillac2
05-17-09, 04:21 PM
Asthma has been covered a lot. Do a search.

SGT7477
05-17-09, 06:44 PM
Hi guys!

The first step Marine or Marines is to be capitalized at all times.:evilgrin:

JeVeux
05-17-09, 06:46 PM
:thumbup: Already cleared that one up

avenger08
05-17-09, 07:10 PM
Hi guys!

dude, im gonna tell you right now its gonna be hard, really hard to work through your asthma but if you keep working hard at it and running and getting your lungs and body in shape, eat healthy, and everything you will work it out, alot of marines i know had asthma before joining, just say something about it to your recruiters and see if they can help you out.

JeVeux
05-17-09, 07:14 PM
Thank you thank you thank you =) I need to find some recruiters around where I live so I can talk to someone about this stuff xD And Oh yeah... I need to start eating healther but as far as I know- I'm allergic to fruit and need to get allergy testing done to see what I can eat and what I can't ^^;

JGiddens
06-03-09, 02:30 AM
As far as it being hard, that all depends on what type of person you are. If you go into a situation thinking that it might be hard, then it might be hard... if you go in and take things as they come, youll find that its easier than you think. Bootcamp for me was a cake walk. Just do what they say, and understand that they arent picking on you. Take their nastiness with a grain of salt and stay emotionless.

As far as your asthma goes, if you maintain a healthy lifestyle including exercise and proper nutrition, you should be fine for bootcamp in two years. It wont be comfortable, but it all depends on how much you want it.

A lot of Marines acquire this mindset sometime during their military career, Ive had it all along. If you start a task without any hesitation and fear, then it will get done with surprisingly great results. Dont hold back.

JeVeux
06-09-09, 07:09 PM
Wow, that was awesome thanks!!

Another thing with health though that I'm running into problems with is that I'm allergic to basically all fruits and I have a stomach problem that they have no idea what it is yet. I've found a recruit center around me that I'm going to visit after I get my drivers liscence in July and I'll talk to someone there. I haven't told my parents yet because I don't know if they'd approve xD