PDA

View Full Version : Statewide Poolee Fuction

BigGunz90
05-16-09, 06:35 PM
I just got back from an all day field meet today in Indianapolis. It was great. Tons of moto. We did everything from running the IST to getting yelled at by DI's to playing tug of war. The fun part about it is that it was raining lot while we were there and the field was muddy and we were such a mess. I improved on my crunches so I was pretty glad about that.

It pretty much went like this. We get there at around 10 after a 3 hour trip. We start off running a little bit and singing cadences then falling into formation for a few. We then fall out and we had a Marine talk to us about our decision to join the Corps, what we're gonna do today, etc. Afterwards, we line up to do pullups. I think the winner got 38. Run over do some crunches, and then our 1.5 mile run. It wasn't bad at all when you're running in a large group. There was alot of Poolees falling out though that didn't make time. The winner got a 7:34. We hydrate afterwards, fall into formation, then get thrashed around by the DI's. I've never been in the presence of a DI before and when you're less than 5 feet from him screaming his lungs out it kinda makes you shake. A couple people got hell from them by doing IT. I pretty much broke my vocal cords when we had to do a war cry. We did the basics like responding to a command and "EARS OPEN!" and "EYEBALLS CLICK!" and "ZERO!". When we're finished at the Drill Instructor Station I look back and some Poolee is double teamed by the 2 Instructors. Pure f*ckin moto I can't wait. We ate MRE's then did our events like sprints and tug of war which we almost won. After that we were pretty much done. A Marine said some final words and said it was a real good function today.

So did any other Poolee from Indiana go?

duarte
05-16-09, 08:08 PM
West Indy right here Oorah!
I was the Poolee getting double teamed and IT'd it was freaking awesome and motivational!!
I can't wait until bootcamp... the DI's were all on my ear just yelling.. i was like "AYE,AYE, SIR" while i was getting IT'd. That has to be the most fun thing I have done in a while..

JWDevilDog
05-16-09, 08:12 PM
then get thrashed around by the DI's. I've never been in the presence of a DI before and when you're less than 5 feet from him screaming his lungs out it kinda makes you shake. A couple people got hell from them by doing IT. I pretty much broke my vocal cords when we had to do a war cry. We did the basics like responding to a command and "EARS OPEN!" and "EYEBALLS CLICK!" and "ZERO!".

Oh man, I'm sure those DIs toned it down for you, too. Just wait until you meet your actual Drill Instructors... I will never forget that day. Chaos. Pure, undiluted, organized, chaos.

duarte
05-16-09, 08:13 PM
Oh by the way, I need to work harder..
I thought i was in really good shape and i just realized there is sooo much room for improvement when i compare myself to other of peers.. I ran my IST in 9:40 while my buddy who was the fastest ran 7:34.. i got 16 Pull-ups.. annnd i got 161 crunches..
Westlake, did you see that Wolverine guy from the station the won the tug-of-war? the big muscle kid that looks like he eats little babies for breakfast??

JWDevilDog
05-16-09, 08:19 PM
West Indy right here Oorah!

You don't rate to say "oohrah," poolee! :evilgrin: Don't let it happen again.

JWG
05-16-09, 08:26 PM
This sounds like it was a great time, glad you two from the community here got to experience it. We had a "family day" where Drill Instructors came in and led a short example of what it'd be like on a few poolees. Definitely toned down for parents, but still very motivating for all of us poolees nonetheless.

GET SOME!

Motivated,

Jon :flag::evilgrin::flag:

BigGunz90
05-16-09, 08:46 PM
Westlake, did you see that Wolverine guy from the station the won the tug-of-war? the big muscle kid that looks like he eats little babies for breakfast??

Yeah man he was insanely huge. I heard he benches around 350. Oh and I was from RSS South Bend by the way.

benw2200
05-16-09, 10:56 PM

For some reason, what the LCpl said reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNFsdeFHRjs

I rate, and you don't.

nrml1
05-17-09, 02:31 AM

I rate, and you don't.

lmao - That's a good series PFC, thanks for posting that lol

AMBruce
05-17-09, 11:30 AM

I rate, and you don't.

Lol yeah, those are awesome

skyebates12
05-17-09, 11:41 AM
i was the guidon from rss fort wayne, that wolverine guy really does bench 350 all he does is lift weights and eat

benw2200
05-17-09, 02:17 PM
i was the guidon from rss fort wayne, that wolverine guy really does bench 350 all he does is lift weights and eat

Hopefully this monster can handle his own body weight.. being able to bench a lot is great and I have respect for someone who can, but boot camp and most Marine Corps PT in general is not pure strength. It's endurance. You'd be surprised how the big beefy guys can get out-performed by smaller guys who have endurance and can handle their weight.

Zaiik
05-17-09, 03:06 PM
Oh man, I'm sure those DIs toned it down for you, too. Just wait until you meet your actual Drill Instructors... I will never forget that day. Chaos. Pure, undiluted, organized, chaos.

It was somewhat tame for us over in Beckley, WV(who also had ours on Saturday), although some guy from another RSS must have seriously screwed up at one point, because one of the DIs made everyone except for him in his entire RSS(i think, i didn't get a good look because I didn't want to be next) run around the track. Every time they passed him, they had to scream "THANK YOU (name)!" and he had to scream "YOU'RE WELCOME!".

We had one or two guys get harassed by them, and another guy managed to get our whole RSS running back and forth for a couple minutes because he didn't answer when the DI asked him why he was looking at him or something, but other than that we had it pretty easy overall.

Was pretty fun though, overall.

BigGunz90
05-17-09, 03:07 PM
Hopefully this monster can handle his own body weight.. being able to bench a lot is great and I have respect for someone who can, but boot camp and most Marine Corps PT in general is not pure strength. It's endurance. You'd be surprised how the big beefy guys can get out-performed by smaller guys who have endurance and can handle their weight.

Yeah that's exactly why I stopped lifting and started running more. The only lifting I do is pull-ups and push-ups now.

skyebates12
05-17-09, 05:28 PM
i saw a girl there in blue jeens running...was she with one of the stations or did she just hop out of the crowd?

duarte
05-17-09, 05:35 PM

I was somewhat close to his pull up bar when we did that part of the IST and he only got 8. that tells you how much of a different workout benching and pull up-ing..

skyebates12
05-17-09, 05:39 PM
very true, but he just signed up so hes got some time in the dep. most of our guys (myself included) arent leaving til atleast october and on the way home they were telling us how theyre going to be reteaching us pull ups ;)...how did you do on your ist

JWDevilDog
05-17-09, 10:46 PM
It was somewhat tame for us over in Beckley, WV(who also had ours on Saturday), although some guy from another RSS must have seriously screwed up at one point, because one of the DIs made everyone except for him in his entire RSS(i think, i didn't get a good look because I didn't want to be next) run around the track. Every time they passed him, they had to scream "THANK YOU (name)!" and he had to scream "YOU'RE WELCOME!".

We had one or two guys get harassed by them, and another guy managed to get our whole RSS running back and forth for a couple minutes because he didn't answer when the DI asked him why he was looking at him or something, but other than that we had it pretty easy overall.

Was pretty fun though, overall.

"Oh good, you wanna move slowly. Ok, run over there right now. RIGHT NOW! Still moving slowing. Come back over here right now. Oh good, you wanna get an attitude, run back over there right now. WHY AREN'T YOU RUNNING, RECRUIT! Ok, run over here right now.":evilgrin:

Back and forth and back again, many many times... They didn't play games with you at that poolee function, they just gave you a bit of a workout. You don't know games yet, son.

"Oh, good, you wanna be nasty? Wagonwheel the racks right now... FASTER... FASTER... FASTER!":evilgrin:

benw2200
05-17-09, 11:10 PM
You don't know games yet, son.

2 sheets and a blanket right now! The best games are the simplest ones.

"drag races" with the skuzz towels during field day were always fun as well..

DEPdog2009
05-17-09, 11:14 PM
Whats up guys? Im from RSS Tupelo in Mississippi. I went to All Hands in Montgomery, AL in April. It was motivaional is Hell! Im so ready to become a marine my heads spinning. And there was some hot girls at my All Hands. One just happened to be a DI....teeheehee. But i really didnt want to look at her too much on the account of getting my ass kicked.

JWDevilDog
05-18-09, 12:52 AM
My favorite game was frogging hopping along the bulkhead. We had races during rifle maintenance time. The entire length of the squad bay. Genius. I love my Kill Hat.

Hey DEPdog2009, I was reborn at Parris Island, so I was around female DIs occasionaly. I honest to God thought they were even more terrifying than a lot of males... Not my DIs, of course, but some. Stay clear of the female type DI..

benw2200
05-18-09, 01:41 PM
Whats up guys? Im from RSS Tupelo in Mississippi. I went to All Hands in Montgomery, AL in April. It was motivaional is Hell! Im so ready to become a marine my heads spinning. And there was some hot girls at my All Hands. One just happened to be a DI....teeheehee. But i really didnt want to look at her too much on the account of getting my ass kicked.

Not sure which NAVMAC order this is, but I don't think Marines are authorized to say "teeheehee". And even if we are, you probably shouldn't do it unless you are a female...

And female DI's..? yep. go ahead and check em out. whistle, too. please do. Just be prepared to answer the question, which will go something like this.. "Why are you looking at me b**ch, do you think I'm hot or something? You gonna ask me out?" ..to which there is NO right answer.

DEPdog2009
05-18-09, 08:54 PM
oh yea benw2200 im not a marine yet im a Poolee if you havent noticed. and im not a dumbazz i would never let her know that i was looking at her.

JWDevilDog
05-18-09, 09:01 PM
PFC, I'm not a Marine yet, I'm a Poolee. And I'm not a dumbazz, I would never let her know that i was looking at her.

Hey poolee, I fixed your post for you... All grammatical errors, all borderline respect issues have been omitted.

Try harder next time.

benw2200
05-18-09, 11:11 PM
im not a marine yet im a Poolee if you havent noticed

Thanks for the heads up. I could have sworn that a little animated guy doing a pushup was at least an E-3 :P

MrSnips
05-19-09, 02:55 PM

Yeah...from being on here i basically did a double take when one of the Marines talking to us asked for an "oohrah!" from us.

With that said the whole day was actually quite amusing. Also, MRE's have made huge jumps in quality since the last time i had one 5 or 6 years ago. I'll be damned but it was good grub.

Zaiik
05-19-09, 03:49 PM
Yeah...from being on here i basically did a double take when one of the Marines talking to us asked for an "oohrah!" from us.

Same here, i kinda was like, huh?

With that said the whole day was actually quite amusing. Also, MRE's have made huge jumps in quality since the last time i had one 5 or 6 years ago. I'll be damned but it was good grub.

Yeah, pretty much everyone i've ever talked to said they were terrible, but the one I had was pretty good. I just assume that it wears out its welcome after your 500th one or people who were accustomed to home-cooked meals before joining.

MrSnips
05-19-09, 03:52 PM
And actually, they have changed quite recently. SSGT Sykora who is my recruiter said they were different than from when he was in Iraq. When i had them 5 or 6 years ago in CAP they were much much worse.

duarte
05-19-09, 06:47 PM
i did alright on my IST. Ive had better though. I ran it in 9:40, did 15 pull-ups, and 162 crunches..

duarte
05-19-09, 06:53 PM
But i felt so good after getting my butt chewed out by the DI's.. it lifted my spirits. and when I got some Incentive Training from them.. that was the best part! i wish we had kept going.. but i guess i will get enough of it at Boot Camp.. more than enough.. oh I'm gonna comeback strong from Boot Camp, that's what all the Marines at the Recruiting Station say anyways.. One of them said he hates me so much he will personally mail me a letter with pink hearts drawn all around it, and an Army sticker on it, and on my address he will put Pfc. Duarte instead of recruit.. so go figure how strong i will comeback from San Diego.

JWDevilDog
05-19-09, 08:24 PM

Some Marines try to motivate poolees, others try to keep them in line. In my mind, not being used to saying oohrah is good preparation for boot camp. I dare you to say it when a DI is nearby. That's why we enforce it here, because it's good training. Try to minimize the bad habits before boot camp, as much as possible.

MREs aren't so bad. After just a month in the field, they are, though. The MREs we have at my unit are old as dog sh*t, so they are awful. But the brand new, high speed, MREs are decent.

abailey
05-23-09, 12:55 AM
I was there as well and it was a lot of fun. I leave this Monday and I think I was the soonest at the function.

Good luck to you all and see you on the other side, I'm going to earn my title now. :)

JWG
05-23-09, 11:15 AM
I was there as well and it was a lot of fun. I leave this Monday and I think I was the soonest at the function.

Good luck to you all and see you on the other side, I'm going to earn my title now. :)

Motivating. Come back with that EGA, bro. :thumbup: