PDA

View Full Version : New Marine Won't Walk at H.S. Commencement

thedrifter
05-16-09, 08:23 AM
KCRG-TV9 Cedar Rapids, Iowa

New Marine Won't Walk at H.S. Commencement

WINTHROP - A Marine goes from graduating boot camp one week, to graduating high school the next. But, that transition comes with a catch.

Private First Class Patrick Curry is now a marine. He finished high school back in February so he could pass boot camp in time to return for his high school graduation, which is this weekend.

Curry said wearing the marine uniform comes with a lot of honor.

"It's unexplainable, you stand up straighter, people look at you different," said Curry.

Its that difference that is shaking up his plans to walk across this stage of East Buchanan High School on Sunday.

Curry wants to wear his dress blues on stage. The school wants him to wear his cap and gown.

When asked if the decision broke his heart, Curry replied, "No sir, just slightly disappointed."

The school told Curry he could wear his uniform crossing the stage, he'd just have to wear it under his cap and gown. Curry said that doesn't work, the Marines don't let you cover up the uniform.

Superintendent Dan Fox said Sunday's ceremony is about all 46 students, not just one.

"We're looking at everybody dressing the same. I guess one of our board members who was in the service said it best; the uniform of the day is cap and gown," said Fox.

Curry understands.

But he has so much pride in being a Marine, he's choosing to leave the uniform on and sit in the crowd at his own commencement.

"I respect their answer and I am happy with the time they gave me. I'm just going to sit there and support my sister and support my classmates," said Curry.

Meanwhile, his classmates are supporting him.

"I'm very proud of him. I'm glad someone in our class of 46 people went into the military. I'm very proud," said East Buchanan High School Senior Ross Bartachek.

On Sunday, Curry will make a sacrifice to show everyone else just how proud he is of his country. Curry said its part of being a Marine.

Private Curry said the school is still letting him be a part of the receiving line after graduation.

Curry said that is the part he is looking forward to most.

On Monday, he reports to infantry school.

Email Justin Foss at Justin.Foss@kcrg.com

Ellie