PDA

View Full Version : 2 Sex Offenders Found Living In Pendleton Base Housing

thedrifter
05-16-09, 07:57 AM
2 Sex Offenders Found Living In Pendleton Base Housing

POSTED: 10:20 pm PDT May 15, 2009
UPDATED: 11:31 pm PDT May 15, 2009

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. -- Are there sex offenders living on U.S. Marine bases? The results are in from a nationwide review of Marine military housing.

In Oceanside, as Marines strolled downtown, the news traveled fast Friday.

“I’m a little shocked,” said one.

The nationwide sweep of U.S. Marine base housing netted two registered sex offenders living on Camp Pendleton, officials told 10News.

“They shouldn't be here,” said one Marine.

According to the Marines, “they” include an active-duty Marine who had been allowed to enlist despite being a registered sex offender.

While one U.S. Marine wife says she thinks some exceptions should be made “They're dating. She's 17. He's 18.”

Another told 10News a sex offender “shouldn't have been allowed to go in, period.”

That Marine will be allowed to stay in the Marine Corps but could be removed from housing, a Marine spokesman said.

The other sex offender is an adult child of a Marine.

Camp Pendleton officials declined to talk about his offense, but say he has been removed from base housing.

“It makes us feel safer,” said one resident.

Safety is also a goal for the U.S Navy, which is still crafting a policy for its planned screening.

When it does happen, the review will include on-base and off-base housing like the Liberty Station development, which includes both military and non-military residents, Navy officials said.

“I think it's a very good idea,” said Liberty Station resident, Casey Dovine, a U.S. Navy wife.

Kathleen Berkson, who said she has no ties to the military, said the sweep can't come soon enough.

“I've got two-year-olds. I want them protected,” Berkson said.

Military officials said they have received no word on when the other Navy housing projects will be screened.

The Marine Corps declined an on-camera interview, but a spokesman did point out that no other sex offenders were discovered at any other Marine base across the country.

The screening found only the two at Camp Pendleton.

Ellie