PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps legacy?

Eric Hood
05-15-09, 04:13 PM
Fellow Marines!
How many of us come from Marine families or have had several relatives in the Corps? I remain the only one in my clan. Must be the black sheep.
Semper Fi,
Eric:marine:

Rocky C
05-15-09, 04:15 PM
Just me Eric.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Eric Hood
05-15-09, 05:01 PM
Thanks brother Leatherneck.
Eric

NoRemorse
05-15-09, 05:10 PM
Another black sheep.

Semper Fi

SSgt Ramsey
05-15-09, 05:15 PM
:evilgrin:

http://earlyrecovery.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/black-sheep.jpg

Sgt Jim
05-15-09, 05:31 PM
Just myself Baaaaaaaaaaaa

ameriken
05-15-09, 05:34 PM
I'm anudda lone ranger.

GSEMarine94
05-15-09, 07:48 PM
I had one uncle who was a Marine, never got to meet him (Vietnam). :(

Zulu 36
05-15-09, 07:58 PM
Me (Vietnam), a brother (just missed Vietnam), my father (WWII), a paternal great-uncle (KIA WWII), and my paternal grandfather (WWI). That's as far back as I know.

SGT7477
05-15-09, 08:57 PM
Myself and one cousin, The Few The Proud The Marines, OOHRAH.

8th&I Marine
05-15-09, 09:00 PM
My father was a Marine in the late 50's. I was in from 89' to 95'. I have a nephew that is active duty winger as we speak.

Cantrell:flag:

Marine84
05-15-09, 09:02 PM
I'm the only female to join ANY branch - my Dad (56-60), my Uncle Wallace (Vietnam - deceased 12 Aug 69) and me from 84-88

wsky9er
05-15-09, 10:04 PM
Another blacksheep here, Still am:confused:

Eric Hood
05-16-09, 08:02 AM
Zulu.
What a history!!
Semper Fi,
Eric

JWDevilDog
05-16-09, 08:18 AM
Add one more tally to the blacksheeps. My dad was National Guard, and my brother tried to join the Army and USMC but he got rejected cuz of his asthma.

semperfi170
05-16-09, 08:25 AM
then me, then my 2 younger sisters, and then my Uncle's son who retired as a LtCol.:flag:

rb1651
05-16-09, 08:29 AM
'Nother blacksheep here.

SSgt Ramsey
05-16-09, 08:37 AM
There is a distant member of my family that was a Marine GySgt during WWII (Technical Sgt perhaps??)...but I don't know what to call him for a relation...but I do have a short story about him to share.

The man was my mother's mother brother, so it would be my Mom's Uncle and my Great Uncle?? I always get confused over familial schtuff lol...and honestly I don't really have much use for most of my "family" anyway...my Dad's it...My mom's mother passed away a few days after she was born in 1940 and never knew her, and Bud was pretty much the last survivor of that family that I am aware of.

I only met "Bud" Pellitier several times in my life...and I never knew he was a former Marine until Mom and I were going through some of her stuff when I was home on boot-leave and seen the 8X10 in the old style frames and asked who it was, I never knew.

Several years later, after spending a little over 2 years in Okinawa and going to the 50th anniversary of Iwo Jima and receiving a few bottles of the sand, I came home again. Mom had found a 1975 bottle of Avon cologne in the shape of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor...I took off the stopper and filled it with sand and we went to visit "Bud" where I gave it to him.

I did not know that he served on Iwo Jima and Okinawa....I felt really good as a young Corporal to do it for him...he was very emotional over the sand and it brought many memories back for him, but he loved it.

Last summer, Bud passed away after a short illness leaving his wife of many years behind who is a total sweetheart of a woman. I talked to her a few months later and told me that Bud cherished his sand and had it in a place of honor in his "me" wall and shelves....that made me feel very good to be able to do something for a man that I owed so much to as part of our history and legacy as Marine's.

JWDevilDog
05-16-09, 08:39 AM
SSgt., that's a fantastic story. Touching. Wow.

*wipes away the tears*

SSgt Ramsey
05-16-09, 08:46 AM
I wish I had known him better....he was a local legend in law enforcement in the Greenville/Shirley, ME area...seriously....everybody knew him and liked him.

Him and my Mom were very close...his sister died very young, 20 I think....and my Mom looked very much like his sister in adult life....and I always felt so bad for my Mom...so many unanswered questions...very few photos which I now have of her mother. Just stories about her from family members.

tracs2142
05-17-09, 05:40 PM
My Uncle was a Combat Photographer for the Corps in Korea
My real Father was USMC Aviation Ordnance in Northern Japan
My Dad (step) was with the 42nd Rainbow Div during the Rhineland Campaign in WWII
My Mom was a Navy nurse

There wasn't much of a question of which branch when I decided to join the military and do my part! I grew up believing it was every American's duty to do time in the military and still do.

avenger08
05-17-09, 05:48 PM
i have alot of friends who i grew up with that joined before i did, i consider them family member long before they joined, i also have an ex-uncle in law who was a marine during desert storm, and two great grandfathers who fought the japanese duriing WWII and and the chinese during Korea. my great uncle fought with the walking dead during Vietnam, but in my immediate family i am the black sheep so far.

marinecorpsmike
05-17-09, 07:10 PM
My father 1944-45, me 1965-68, my son 1999-03. Two 0311's and one 0811.

roymbo
05-17-09, 07:54 PM
Fellow Marines!
How many of us come from Marine families or have had several relatives in the Corps? I remain the only one in my clan. Must be the black sheep.
Semper Fi,
Eric:marine:
Not everyone can be a Marine. Just enjoy your clan.
Semper Fi,
Roymbo