PDA

View Full Version : The Snake in the Flag

thedrifter
05-15-09, 08:41 AM
The Snake in the Flag
W. Thomas Smith, Jr
Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Gadsden Flag – perhaps the most-famous of America’s pre-Independence banners (a revised, striped version of which presently flies on all U.S. Navy warships) – may soon be branded a symbol of “extremism.” In fact, based on a May 7 report in World Net Daily and elsewhere, the branding already may have begun.

According to the report: “A Louisiana driver was stopped and detained for having a ‘Don't Tread on Me’ [Gadsden Flag] bumper sticker on his vehicle and warned by a police officer about the ‘subversive’ message it sent, according to the driver's relative.”

The report added “a man identifying himself as a police officer” from the department that allegedly stopped the driver, said records did not substantiate the incident. But, “he suggested it might have involved one of several other agencies that work in the area.”

True or not (and I sincerely hope it’s not), the story is now making the rounds, and it understandably concerns those Americans like myself who are proud of this nation’s rich heritage, noble founders, and standards and colors that have come to symbolize our independence and exceptionalism. We don’t want those colors sullied by rumors and misrepresentations of fact. Nor do we want them hijacked and rebranded as extremist symbols by those who would deny the greatness of our founding fathers and our nation’s remarkable beginnings.

I learned of this Gadsden Flag story on May 9, coincidentally 255 years to the day after the Pennsylvania Gazette published in 1754 what is widely held to be the first American political cartoon: a picture of a snake cut into eight pieces, each piece representing a colony (New England representing one piece of the snake) and the words "JOIN or DIE," which eventually changed to “UNITE or DIE.”

Apparently, Benjamin Franklin – the Gazette's publisher and the cartoonist who drew the snake – was urging the colonies to unite against the French and Indians.

Then in late 1775 – several months after the first shots were fired in the American Revolution – the newly formed Continental Marines (Yes, the predecessors of our future U.S. Marines) adopted the rattlesnake as a symbol and the motto, "DON'T TREAD ON ME." A snake and the motto were painted on the Marines' drums years before the Marine Corps adopted its present motto, Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful).

Soon thereafter, South Carolina Militia Col. (future brigadier general) Christopher Gadsden – a member of the Continental Congress and of the Marine Committee – had the rattlesnake and motto incorporated into a flag which he presented to the Navy, the Marines, as well as to the S.C. Provincial Congress, which recorded in its minutes:

"Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattlesnake in the middle, in the attitude of going to strike, and these words underneath, 'Don't Tread on Me!'"

A company of militiamen from Culpepper County, Virginia also carried a "DON'T TREAD ON ME" flag, but on a white field, and with the added words, “LIBERTY OR DEATH.”

It was during this same period that Commodore Esek Hopkins directed his ships to fly a “striped jack” with – as some historians suggest – an uncoiled snake and the motto, "DON'T TREAD ON ME."

This flag became known as the first American “Navy Jack.” And on May 31, 2002, the old “Navy Jack” was ordered by the Secretary of the Navy to be flown aboard “all U.S. Navy ships during the Global War on Terrorism.”

Today the old rattlesnake “Navy Jack” flies from my front porch.

Subversive? Hardly.

An unapologetic expression of pride in – and love for – American independence and the kind of defiant, can-do-despite-the-odds courage exhibited throughout history in places with names like Lexington, Yorktown, Fredericksburg, Bastogne, Hue, and Fallujah?

You bet.

Ellie

Gunner 0313
05-15-09, 09:09 AM
:flag:I guess 'the man' will be coming after me since that's the flag that I've been flying since 20 Jan. 2009.

SSgt Ramsey
05-15-09, 09:50 AM
I seen this story also on a concealed carry forum.

It has not been substantiated, but if it is true, we're screwed as citizens....

If that ever did happen to me, I would do everything I could to sue the crap out of that officer and department for violation of my rights and civil liberties granted and protected by the Constitution.:devious::mad:

DWG
05-15-09, 02:09 PM
:flag:I guess 'the man' will be coming after me since that's the flag that I've been flying since 20 Jan. 2009.

Same here!
I'm looking for a "Right wing Extremist" T-shirt to wear when my "Infidel" T-shirt is in the wash!
It's also the only decal I have on my truck now!

Rocky C
05-15-09, 02:40 PM

Semper Fi Gunner!!! 20 Jan. 2009 !!!
Rocky

Gunner 0313
05-15-09, 09:29 PM
:flag:I couldn't stop laughing because today I was out working on the lawn and one of my boys, who's a local 'johnny lawman' rolls up my drive. He said he'd been meaninig to ask me where I got my Gadsden Flag at because he wants to get one. LMFAO !

Brent2651
05-16-09, 02:22 AM
One of our joint-service units in Iraq took down the flag of the new regime that was flying along-side our own national ensign, and began flying the modernized striped serpent instead. :thumbup:

Gunner 0313
05-16-09, 07:21 PM
One of our joint-service units in Iraq took down the flag of the new regime that was flying along-side our own national ensign, and began flying the modernized striped serpent instead. :thumbup:

:flag:Damn Bro, that's some serious salad !

Phantom Blooper
05-16-09, 08:30 PM
Sounds like snakes in the grass to me.:evilgrin:

Brent2651
05-16-09, 09:35 PM

Two branches of service and 20 years of hopping the globe (11 deployments of various types). I'm considering 10 more years though it's wearing me out. More interested in E-9 than more ribbons.

Notice that I'm topped out with only one personal dec (my NAM). I've never been a politician and it has bitten me a lot.

The rest of my salad is just "been there, done that" service and unit awards.

BTW: the Air Force Combat Readiness Medal (upper right corner) was downgraded from personal decoration status to service award shortly after Viet Nam. So now it's kind of like a "high ranking" GCM.

hrscowboy
05-16-09, 09:36 PM
Why hasnt someone posted a picture of this.

Brent2651
05-16-09, 09:40 PM
Why hasnt someone posted a picture of this.

Here goes:

Brent2651
05-16-09, 09:45 PM

The salad pales in comparison to any vet wearing a Purple Heart or other decoration received for wounds or legitimate acts of valor. I'd trade it all just to be named among them. Still proud of my own service; I just esteem theirs much more highly than my own.

ggyoung
05-17-09, 10:28 AM
Let me add one more thing here. When you buy that flag be sure to look where it was made. If not in the good old USofA. then don't buy it. I was looking at some USA flags a month or so ago and that same flag had made in vietnam. I went nuts over that and really let the vendor have it. That night he loaded every thing and moved on to the next town.

Gunner 0313
05-17-09, 11:12 AM
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9268/n564587178338969145yl8.jpg

Integrity57
05-17-09, 11:35 AM
We fly the striped version of that flag at our Quarterdeck here at NAS, I wanna see those *******s come here and try to take it down.

Wyoming
05-17-09, 11:53 AM
We fly the striped version of that flag at our Quarterdeck here at NAS, I wanna see those *******s come here and try to take it down.

Striped version?

Post a pix.

Thanks.

ggyoung
05-17-09, 12:04 PM

If the order comes from our CinC it will come down.

FistFu68
05-17-09, 12:11 PM
:evilgrin: I have the White Culpepper Virginia version"The Culpepper Minute Men" Had it 4Beau-Cou long time :beer: :iwo:

DWG
05-18-09, 07:48 AM
Striped version?

Post a pix.

Thanks.

It's on post #12 of this thread; it's the Naval Ensign version.

thedrifter
05-19-09, 07:36 AM
Gadsden flag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag