PDA

View Full Version : A Hero: LCPL Jeremy W. Burris, USMC

thedrifter
05-15-09, 08:20 AM
A Hero: LCPL Jeremy W. Burris, USMC
Posted By Laughing_Wolf

In my first post linking to TweettoRemind, I listed as one of my heros Lance Corporal Jeremy W. Burris. A reader, Mike D. asked me to post his story:

Be sure to share your story about Jeremy Burris. My son was with Weapons 1/4 when they were bushwhacked and Jeremy was killed. He thought the world of Jeremy, one of the nicest kids he ever met, and still wonders to this day - why Jeremy and not him. Semper Fi, Jeremy - you are not forgotten. Requiescat in pacem.

I want to start by saying up front: I did not know Jeremy. I did not have the time, and because of what happened, there never will be the opportunity to get to know him in this world. Astute and/or long-time readers will note that the day he died was during my first embed -- the one YOU all helped make possible.

There are many stories I have not posted here from that first embed. Some may never see print, for they were things that, save for a defective power supply (thank you Apple!), were best done immediately from there. Add in some work issues upon my return and a non-natural death in the family, and you get a less than timely set of postings upon my return. Some of those posts are yet to come, but they will get up.

Also, some stories I was not, and am not, sure how to write. Jeremy's story is one such. When doing public speaking on Iraq and/or my embeds, it is easy to simply go with a power point that says
In Memoriam

Lance Corporal Jeremy W. Burris
1st Battalion, 4th Marines
KIA 8 October 2007, Al Anbar Province
Semper Fi

and let a moment of silence tell of him and make him real to the audience.

My trip out to Al Qa'im and the Marines was developed after I was already in country. Because of the time it took to get out there, and back, it was a short amount of time actually there with the Marines. In fact, I was inside the wire with only about two exceptions, and with the HQ group almost all of that time. Between short-time and short-notice, and a group that was looking at departing soon, it meant that there was little time or real interest in putting me out in the same way the Army did. Add in a PAO minder who was EXTREMELY dilligent in his duties (above and beyond even), and it made for a sense of isolation.

The one thing I will commend the minder for was that at one point he did introduce me to troops, and I spent an enjoyable time in barracks with them admiring art, a movie, and some other things. Point of fact, some of the guys I met found out that we had similar interests, similar opinions of certain people, and it made things nice and I was no longer bored out of my gourd and feeling like I was swaddled in cotton. I met a lot of nice, bright, and fun Marines and enjoyed it.

Not all the time could be spent in that fashion, alas. I went to check on my transportation and related issues via e-mail at the internet cafe after a boring morning not long after, and found it closed. The words "River City" told me all I needed to know, and soon I learned semi-officially of a man down. I decided to walk around a bit and take pictures that afternoon/evening and record a bit of that place. As I moved around, I saw the evac Blackhawk coming in for a landing and started to shoot some shots of it. As it landed, I realized that this was not a routine flight or maintenance exercise.

I stopped shooting, let my camera drop, and turned away. I gave them the respect of privacy, the only thing I had to offer, and turned away so that they did not have to hurry, hide, or cover for the reporter.

Moving away, I shot more of the desert and such, and continued my circuit around. Later, I met one of the Marines I had met previously, one of many that I never truly did get to know in my short time there, and found that what I had done had been noticed, and thanks were extended. There apparently having been something said about not talking to the reporter, this was brief and not much more than that was said. I did not learn who it was until later, after I had left Al Qa'im. It was only later that I learned that which did not surprise me in the least.

The patrol was hit by an IED attack, and Jeremy reacted fast and well. From what I learned, he grabbed two wounded brothers and got them away from the vehicle. He tended them, rendered first aid, and did all he could do. Realizing that there was gear still in the vehicle that would be good to have, for them, he went back. It was then that the second IED went off, and from reports I received he was killed instantly.

No, I did not get the chance to get to know Jeremy, but nothing I have learned since surprises me. He was a typical young man into life, from music onward. He was a Marine, and all that entails. He, knowing the risk to himself, went back to get things to help his brothers. If you do a meta-search, you will learn more. His MySpace page may still be up in tribute to him, to a life cut short. Remember if and as you search, it may have been cut short, but it was lived and lived well.

Now, you know more about him, and I still wonder how to tell his story.

LW

thedrifter
05-15-09, 08:22 AM
A Chance To ReMind, A Chance To Do, Honoring My Heros
Posted By Laughing_Wolf

For all that we know of Blackfive as a profit, I just realized in starting to write this post that he is a bit of a prophet as well.

Back in 2006, the news was full of a horrific story: a convoy deliberately targeted by a complex attack. This Iraqi convoy was carrying reporters, and according to a number of reports, it may well have been the reporters that were the focus, for what better way to ensure coverage? And coverage it got, to the point that it generated some ill-will and backlash for Bob Woodruff got coverage in spades, coverage that few Americans or Iraqi's got even a small fraction of.

At the time, Matt said:

Pray for the recovery of Bob Woodruff and Doug Vogt. I'm sure that they won't ever forget who saved their lives.

More prescient words he may never have spoken.

Bob Woodruff did survive, and both he and his wife are very well aware that he is alive because of our troops. Our troops who risked their lives to get him, give him aid, and get him out. Our troops who treated him as they would one of their own, until such time as he could be put into civilian care. Please trust me when I say that Bob and his lovely wife Lee will never forget those who saved his life, nor will they ever forget our wounded.

They also realized that they are in a unique position. The media frenzy that surrounded him and his injuries was no surprise to those who study people. In short, things are rarely real unless they happen to someone we know; then, it hits home in spades. An intellectual awareness and even understanding is one thing, but when it hits home it hits the heart. What happened to Bob Woodruff hit home with people who had never before been hit in the heart by what was going on.

Bob and Lee simply could not sit by, for they had to do for those who were wounded. So, the Bob Woodruff Foundation was born and with it ReMind. This is not a re-invention of the wheel, for what is done is to raise money that goes to the organizations that DO for our wounded, our troops, and their families. Bob and Lee reach audiences that we in the military blogosphere don't, and have gotten them involved to support those who need it most -- our wounded.

Today, we all work together as ReMind starts Tweet-To-Remind, a campaign to raise $1.65 million for that effort. The idea is fairly simple: Today, 12 May 2009, put up a post or tweet the answer to the question "Who is Your Hero?" Then, if everyone participating and everyone who reads donates $5.25 (or more), guess what could be done in a day? So, who is your hero?

In many ways, mine are all those who serve, open or black -- in particular those with whom I've embedded. But, I want to list some special heros for you, for they paid the ultimate price for what we have today. My Heroes:

Foster Powers, USN killed 1945 on or near Japan during an attack on a Japanese port

SPC Marieo Guerrero, USA, KIA 17 Mar 07, Iraq; A CO 1-18 IN

PFC Damian Lopez, USA, KIA 6 April 2007, Iraq; HHC/1-18 IN

SPC Ryan Dallam, USA, KIA 6 April 2007, Iraq; HHC/1-18 IN

CPT Anthony Palermo, USA, KIA 6 April 2007, Iraq; HHC/1-18 IN

LCPL Jeremy W. Burris, USMC, KIA 8 October 2007, Iraq; 1st Bat 4th Marines

I owe you their stories, for the deserve not merely to be told, but sung unto the hall of feasting. For know, know that each was special, and each is missed.

So, who are your heroes?

Take part, and help us help those who need it most.

LW

http://laughingwolf.net/

Ellie