PDA

View Full Version : Talking to Recruiters

AlanJames
05-14-09, 03:42 PM
How often do you fellow poolee's talk to your recruiters?

I think I've met mine face to face, like 3 times- maybe this is because I have been on this site, researching everything and finding out answers to my questions on my own.

Today I just got the date that I go to MEPS for the first time- Monday I take the ASVAB, am expecting a great upper 80's lower 90's score. Stay in the hotel, and on Tuesday take the physical.

So, yeah, I don't know what really goes on at MEPS- plan on asking my recruiter about it tomorrow- but if you have anything to say about it, advice or something- ears open.
:marine:

Zaiik
05-14-09, 04:36 PM
Water.

Water water water. All night and as soon as you wake up the next morning.

You don't want to be the guy who can't pee in a cup, or the guy who had too much protein in his urine and has to come back again and deal with the whole crap process just because you didn't drink enough water.

Also if you're a big eater(like me), the lunch they give you barely qualifies as a snack, so eat a lot at breakfast or be hungry all day. At least that's how it was with us, yours may be different.

And don't be an idiot and drink a ton of alcohol the night/morning before you go, they give you a breathalyzer there and, as far as I know(I certainly can't think of any other reason for them to do it), if anything significant comes up on it they'll send you out the front door.

Also, you're going to be doing more waiting than you've ever done in your life, so i'd recommend bringing something to entertain yourself without being so distracting you won't hear someone call your name, like a Gameboy or PSP or something. I wish I had.

And if you don't own any underwear(I didn't), you need to go get some, because it's required. They told us they had "paper underwear" on hand for those who didn't bring any, but I'd hate to think of how badly that would go.

Other than that, just follow instructions, don't lie about anything, and hurry up and wait. A lot.

steggy
05-14-09, 04:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMJZ5CfEVg
There's a good video that explains everything that goes on at MEPS

chadhertz
05-14-09, 10:16 PM
I talk to my recruiter almost 2 maybe 3 times a week. We PT at least once a week and I go down down to the office and hang out with other poolees 1 or 2 times a week. We watch movies, play xbox 360, and study Marine Corps knowledge. I guess I'm lucky for living in a small town and being able to actually do stuff like that. He's also trying to set up a car wash for some of us that play varsity football so we can go to college camps this summer.

nrml1
05-15-09, 03:57 AM
My recruiter doesn't take me seriously because although I'm within weight, I'm still a fat body wanna be. Boy is he in for a surprise in about a month in a half, I'm already harder than when I met him a month ago and he still doesn't take me seriously!!

Good luck!

-Dedicated.

DGardner
05-15-09, 11:08 AM
Water.

Water water water. All night and as soon as you wake up the next morning.

You don't want to be the guy who can't pee in a cup, or the guy who had too much protein in his urine and has to come back again and deal with the whole crap process just because you didn't drink enough water.

Also if you're a big eater(like me), the lunch they give you barely qualifies as a snack, so eat a lot at breakfast or be hungry all day. At least that's how it was with us, yours may be different.

Be careful with what you eat. (Again, you don't want to have too much protein in your urine)

And don't be an idiot and drink a ton of alcohol the night/morning before you go, they give you a breathalyzer there and, as far as I know(I certainly can't think of any other reason for them to do it), if anything significant comes up on it they'll send you out the front door.

Also, you're going to be doing more waiting than you've ever done in your life, so i'd recommend bringing something to entertain yourself without being so distracting you won't hear someone call your name, like a Gameboy or PSP or something. I wish I had.

Go ahead and do that. See what the Liason says. If you want to do anything, bring cards. There was a TV at the MEPS I went to.

And if you don't own any underwear(I didn't), you need to go get some, because it's required. They told us they had "paper underwear" on hand for those who didn't bring any, but I'd hate to think of how badly that would go.

Other than that, just follow instructions, don't lie about anything, and hurry up and wait. A lot.

Most important thing in that post. Don't lie about anything.

For the original question, I talked to mine once a week. At the Poolee functions.

ElDiablo
05-15-09, 11:16 AM
I talk to my recruiter at least twice a week, and face-to-face quite a few times a month.

thezero
05-15-09, 11:20 AM
I try to talk to my recruiter once a week, not always on Tuesday though. Just whenever I know someone is interested in the Corps or I have a question

NoPainNoGain17
05-15-09, 01:03 PM
I usually talk to my recruiter about two to three times a week.

kash
05-15-09, 03:49 PM
monday-friday and pool functions on saturdays.....i go to the office and pt

Potato Salad
05-15-09, 09:25 PM
Atleast once a week, like you're supposed to.

GavinL91
05-16-09, 07:52 PM
I called mine once and that was it,i will go down there and talk to him again once im on my senior year and lost more weight.

Phantom Blooper
05-16-09, 08:28 PM
Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone.....and check in once a week until you ship.

This is a good policy to keep up with policies,changes,scuttlebutt and scoop.

You should also get involved in your poolee functions so you are in the here and now when you ship .:evilgrin:

mary09sm
05-18-09, 01:45 PM
I talk to my recruiter once a week to check in, I see him tue-thur to pt, then I come in on my own time mon, wed or friday to do some weight lifting. Oh and the second saturday of every month for poolee functions, and ist.

Books
05-18-09, 07:05 PM
I work at my RSS. I am with my recruiters from about 0745 to about 1800 during the week.

pooleedavis91
05-19-09, 03:59 PM
Don't let your roomate keep you up. You'll regret it when your sitting there at MEPS.

boblasek
05-19-09, 10:33 PM
I try to talk to mine every week. I think because i am a little bit older they don't bug me much.

DevilPupUSMC89
05-20-09, 04:27 AM
I text my recruiter pretty much daily, but that's because there's a lot of waivers and things to sign.
I'd try keeping in touch with them more and make sure to go to PT as much as you can!!!!!!