PDA

View Full Version : Students bring to life Disney, Earhart, 'Chesty' Puller for classmates

thedrifter
05-14-09, 07:57 AM
Students bring to life Disney, Earhart, 'Chesty' Puller for classmates

by Heidi Dezayas
Staff Writer
May 14, 2009

Walt Disney, Martin Luther King Jr., Amelia Earhart and Miley Cyrus visited McCullough Elementary last week as third-graders transformed into historical and modern icons during the school's wax museum presentation.

After spending a month researching their famous subjects, students wrote a paper on them and memorized one-minute speeches to recite to visitors who toured the "museum" in the school's all-purpose room.

Third-grader Nicholas Wright, who portrayed Marine Lewis "Chesty" Puller, said the project was valuable.

"I learned how to stand up for others because he stood up for his comrades," Nicholas said. "I didn't know this guy was real, but I was interested in him because my grandpa was a Marine. I wanted to learn more about him because Marines risk their lives for our freedom."

Because of his classmates' speeches, Nicholas also could dish out some facts about gymnast Mary Lou Retton and Edward Teach -- Blackbeard the pirate.

Teacher Cathy Suman said that's what the project was all about.

"I love to see the idea that the kids come up with," she said. "I think the experience of learning about these people and learning how to get into character is the most important thing."

Suman and teacher Scott Mickey had their classes collaborate for the project.

"Both classes worked as a team, and they worked on their speeches together," Mickey said. "That way, they were exposed to 30 people from history. It takes learning to the next level."

Parent Anne Wagner said she was impressed with the students' work.

"It was fantastic," she said. "I would have never thought kids this age were capable of it."

Wagner said the assignment helped her daughter Alayna gain self confidence.

"My daughter was very nervous when we were practicing at home, and the aspect of just being able to speak in front of kids was so important to her on so many levels," Wagner said.

Alayna, who portrayed Sacagawea, got over her nerves and had a great time.

"It was a lot of fun," she said. "A lot of people learned about people they didn't even know existed."

Ellie