PDA

View Full Version : Have a problem...

Domion
05-13-09, 10:42 PM
Today while I was heading out to meet a friend to lunch, I was pulled over and issued a ticket. This is an obvious problem.

The ticket was for wearing more than one earphone while operating a motor vech. I didn't even know that was illegal!! I explained to the officer that I was going to Marine Corps bootcamp in about 2 and half weeks, and that I couldn't have anything opened.. So he gives me the ticket and my court date is june 29th.

What can and should I do about this. I want to leave on time. I will pay whatever fine it is I don't care, just need this taken care of asap. Any insight on what to do would be helpful.

My ship date is 20090601 Reallly want to leave that day....

meallen07
05-13-09, 11:08 PM
I would contact the court, it is on the ticket, and explain it to them. I interned at a court a few years ago and it should be a problem to move your court date up.

Just call and be honest with the clerk and see if there is anything they can do for you. If you can't take care of it that way, the next call should be your recruiter and come up with something.

Good luck, and best of luck at Boot!

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 11:15 PM
Like they always say, ignorance is not an excuse. So you won't be able to get the ticket dropped. Isn't there a fine you can pay instead of a court hearing? I know when I got my first speeding ticket, about two years ago, I could either go to court or pay the $95 fine. I opted for the fine. That is much much easier, and looks better on your record, than any alternative you might have.

I say just get the money and mail it in. Tell your recruiter too, because they need to know about all things like that.

Domion
05-13-09, 11:22 PM
It doesn't have a fine on the ticket which is what I dont understand otherwise I would gladly just pay it tomorrow. I talked with my recruiter today he said we'll see what can be done tomorrow. I'm just worried sick that I won't be able to ship.

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 11:45 PM
Is there a number on the ticket? If so, call the number and see about a fine.

Gunner 0313
05-13-09, 11:57 PM
:flag:I think the po po might have dropped the ball kid. A violation of that nature does not warrant an appearance in court. I think you'll be able to clear this one up and be off to summer camp where you'll be roasting smores by the fire with the counselors.

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 07:38 AM
I agree with Gunner. What court are you ordered to appear at? You can usually go there prior, plead guilty and pay the fine. If it's an informal court then you can usually see the judge or prosecutor prior to your court date, plead guilty and pay.

In other instances you can plead guilty with the actual summons or notice itself by checking off the box and either mailing it or bringing it in along with a payment.

If the clerk can't accept a guilty plea since it's a moving violation ask what days they have traffic court. You can usually go in prior and plead your case, pay your fine and bounce.

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:29 AM
I think the po po might have dropped the ball kid. A violation of that nature does not warrant an appearance in court. I think you'll be able to clear this one up and be off to summer camp where you'll be roasting smores by the fire with the counselors.

Careful gunner, you're starting to sound like Dawgg and his love of police...:banana:

As for the original tool, first off how many ears you got, man? And why would you do that?

Every "ticket" is actually a summons, regardless of offense. Despite the rumors of a police state (you know who you are) even if the STATE accuses you of jaywalking, you have the right to defend yourself. You even have the right to a jury of your peers for parking tickets, just be prepared to pay a much higher fine when you lose... As for yours, call the dang court today (or even better, GO THERE) and pay that mess. It could happen, but I wouldn't count on your recruiter gettin all dressed up and going to that court to plead for you in the name of your potential service to country. It has happened, but they are busy. Coffee's not kicking it yet and I'm starting to ramble.. Good luck to ya

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:30 AM
I agree with Gunner. What court are you ordered to appear at? You can usually go there prior, plead guilty and pay the fine. If it's an informal court then you can usually see the judge or prosecutor prior to your court date, plead guilty and pay.

In other instances you can plead guilty with the actual summons or notice itself by checking off the box and either mailing it or bringing it in along with a payment.

If the clerk can't accept a guilty plea since it's a moving violation ask what days they have traffic court. You can usually go in prior and plead your case, pay your fine and bounce.

spoken like a man who's been through that revolving door once or twice

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 08:33 AM
spoken like a man who's been through that revolving door once or twice

Video tape or it never happened :D

Gunner 0313
05-14-09, 08:57 AM
Careful gunner, you're starting to sound like Dawgg and his love of police...:banana:

:flag:Me thinks someone must be trying to become po po. I really didn't think my comment was derogatory in anyway against the man.

On another note never refuse to sign a traffic ticket. Your signature is a promise to pay or appear in court. If you don't sign you get the bracelets.

Domion
05-14-09, 09:16 AM
The ticket is confusing, it doesnt have a number to call nor does it have a fine and I didnt have to sign anything. The officer told me it wasnt a moving violation.
I live out in the middle of nowhere and they only hold court on Mondays (or so the officer told me). Thank you all for the advice I'm going to try to get ahold of the court down there today and see if I can just pay up. Thanks again

abailey
05-14-09, 12:20 PM
A pre-trial diversion would probably work. Basically you pay double the fine and the court appearance/date is waived. Although, I have only done this with a speeding ticket. Not sure about your violation.

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 12:54 PM
A diversion? They call it diversion when it's a juvenile court case. Then again they may call it that in your jurisdiction. <br />
<br />
Usually you pay the base fine + surcharge. If it's a small informal...

Domion
05-14-09, 04:57 PM
Yes sir plan on going Monday. Talked to a few people today about it everyone seems confident that I'll be good to go so ya i hope.

Rocky C
05-14-09, 05:38 PM
You are a minor (17). You didn't get a fine because it was not a moving violation. It was a Violation for the earphones on your probationary license.
In the State of New York you could face suspension of your License because you are a minor and that is why you are going to court and the Judge will decide the penalty.
Good Luck

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 06:25 PM
You are a minor (17). You didn't get a fine because it was not a moving violation. It was a Violation for the earphones on your probationary license.
In the State of New York you could face suspension of your License because you are a minor and that is why you are going to court and the Judge will decide the penalty.
Good Luck

Good point..totally missed the age factor.

Gunner-it's all good...just couldn't miss the chance to compare you to your BFF..:D

wristbandsnow
05-27-09, 08:54 AM
Hi friends, World needs to relax for enjoy. Everyone are think it. But anyone are surely telling for world. They are always think and think. If you have more suggestion for world. Then share it. Thanks for suggestion.