PDA

View Full Version : Ok, can I...

jameacham
05-13-09, 09:34 AM
buy dress blue uniforms at Parris Island? I am going up next week for my cousins graduation and I was wondering if I could get my dress blue uniform on base? Or am I just outta luck? I don't plan...

temarti
05-13-09, 10:54 AM
Justin, you will not be able to purchase Blues, the only items that can be purchased on Grad day by family members is "logo" basically battalion tee shirts and Ooh Rah tee shirts as well as coins and other "logo" items.

The V.A. ID is not one that is taken for purchases of all other items in the exchange. There are two stores out in town that may have Blues that fit, one of them is in the shopping plaza prior to the Islands causway. I have not been in there however they display a lot of Marine items.

Hope this helps....

jameacham
05-13-09, 11:23 AM
Thanks a lot, that is all the clarification I needed, I tried finding it all over the website, but no luck. If I have too, I'll just go out in town and get it, but as far as "special" items such as chevrons, ribbons, etc., I'll just give him the money. As far as trousers, is there a way i can order them online? I went to marineshop.com and i couldn't seem to find them.

temarti
05-13-09, 11:35 AM
Google Marine Corps Dress Blues, there is a store that has new and used.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-16-09, 07:09 AM
Yeah, that might actually be your best bet overall. That, or ebay. However, your cousin should be able to get you the rest of what you need at the PX there.

ecom
06-10-09, 01:58 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but it is possible that you may be violating federal law by wearing the Dress Blue uniform for the occasion you specified because you are discharged and you are not...

Sgt Leprechaun
06-12-09, 07:11 AM
No. Incorrect. Marines CAN wear their blues, if discharged, as long as they wear the 'honorably discharged' button on the right side, above the pocket. <br />
<br />
There is no Stolen Valor or 'impersonation'...

ArtyOps
06-12-09, 07:16 AM
Honorably Discharged button?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-12-09, 07:18 AM
Yep. It's a small pinback 'button' (the official nomenclature) that you should get upon discharge. It says &quot;Honorable Discharge&quot; with an EGA in the center.

ArtyOps
06-12-09, 07:25 AM
When did that start? I got out Feb 2008.

yanacek
06-12-09, 07:29 AM
I've seen that pin before. You are supposed to receive it with your honorable discharge certificate. However, I've never seen it worn on a uniform. I have seen the &quot;Ruptured Duck&quot; displayed on...

Fievel
06-12-09, 12:11 PM
I just got my Honorable Discharge certificate a few months ago, never got (or heard of) that pin. <br />
<br />
That's interesting, though, I wasn't aware that Dress Blues were still authorized after you get...

Alisium
06-12-09, 12:26 PM
http://www.amervets.com/replacement/duck.htm

I never heard of one either until I came to this site.

yanacek
06-12-09, 12:50 PM
Here's what the Honorable Discharge Lapel pin look like: <br />
<br />
As for that link and information on the old &quot;Ruptured Duck&quot; I recommend you stay away from that website--the American War Library is a...

Supersquishy
06-12-09, 12:55 PM
I didn't get one either (no biggie) all I recieved was the Honorable Disharge certificate, which is framed and hung in my office. I did however get the USMC flag with the Marines Times subscription:D

Sgt Leprechaun
06-12-09, 03:43 PM
The 'duck was ONLY authorized for those who had been discharged directly after WWII and had no civvies to return home in. If you reenlisted or stayed longer than 1946, you didn't rate to wear the...

Fievel
06-12-09, 04:46 PM
So then other than to have a souveir, there is no reason to get one? correct?

Wyoming
06-12-09, 09:05 PM
I got one, just don't remember how or when. <br />
<br />
Mine is actually set up to fit in a lapel button hole.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-13-09, 05:26 AM
So then other than to have a souveir, there is no reason to get one? correct?

Correct!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-13-09, 05:27 AM
I got one, just don't remember how or when.

Mine is actually set up to fit in a lapel button hole.

Big Al, I'd wager dollars to donuts many of the youngsters on here wouldn't know which 'buttonhole' to put it in! That dates yours to the Vietnam era, (or before). I've got a few like that in my collection.

The pin on mine is flimsy (typical gummint contract crap these days) and I wouldn't wear it 'day to day' for fear I'd lose the dang thing.