PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine thinking about joining again

Rasanders22
05-13-09, 01:21 AM
A brief history about me.
I shipped off to boot camp in August 1996 and EAS'd August 2001. I was a 2871 (electronic maintenance). I am strongly thinking about re-enlisting, but I do not want to go back to being a POG. I would only sign back up if I could get something in the 03xx field, or mabye something in the Armour field. Since Ive gotten out Ive gotten 1 bachalor degree and am currently working on a second. Before someone mentions trying for OCS, I already did back in 2004, and again in 2005. I wasn't selected either time (obviously) because of my slow run time. Ive never broken 22 minutes on a 3 mile run. Im a distance runner, not a speed runner. I regularly run half marathons for fun. Does anyone know if what I want is possible? Ive been out longer than I was in.
Thanks

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 03:30 AM
You need to fill out your profile, so we know who you are and who we are talking to. It is one of the rules of the site.

As far as your question goes. Of course it's possible. You probably will not retain your rank, though. You might have to get an age waiver (something to talk to a recruiter about). But in terms of re-enlisting, yes it is possible. I suggest talking to a recruiter. It can't hurt at all, of course.

Rasanders22
05-13-09, 04:17 AM
You need to fill out your profile, so we know who you are and who we are talking to. It is one of the rules of the site.

As far as your question goes. Of course it's possible. You probably will not retain your rank, though. You might have to get an age waiver (something to talk to a recruiter about). But in terms of re-enlisting, yes it is possible. I suggest talking to a recruiter. It can't hurt at all, of course.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured I would loose rank. I got out as an e-5. The pay isnt a big deal. I would be taking a massive hit to my pay but my monthly expenses would drop more. Ive been meaning to to give a recruiter a call but between full time work, full time school, and a pregnant wife and kid I have 0 time.

Too be honest my biggest worry is physical fitness. Like I said Ican run but not very fast. My average mile for my last half marathon was 10:30. Obviously running 3 miles it would drop considerably. Im pretty sure right now I would get atleast a second class pft. Mabye Ill go run one tommorow and seee what I get. I deffinatly wont be beating many 18-19 year olds or trying out for recon.

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 05:10 AM
I can understand having no time. I really have no advice for that, except you need to try to make time, because you're not going to be able to DEP in if you can't ever talk to a recruiter.

Well, fitness is something that can be improved. Boot camp especially will help that. But yes, PTing on your own is crucial, as you know.

Also, about the pay. I know it isn't a big deal, but bear in mind you would be getting paid more than most PFCs because of your prior service.