PDA

View Full Version : Cammies/name tapes

sec9
05-12-09, 01:45 PM
Im currently on boot leave right now and I have Desert and Woodland cammies that I wore in boot camp that are ready to go with the name tapes already sewn on. On family day I bought a pair of small regular Woodlands and small regular desert trousers (PX was out of SmReg desert blouses). I have the name tapes for those that need to be put on. Should I just take them to a local tailor and see if they can do it, or wait till I get to SOI next week and have it done there.

BR34
05-12-09, 01:51 PM
Well, you're going to be wearing cammies at SOI, so I'd get em taken care of now.

Pete0331
05-12-09, 02:17 PM
Im currently on boot leave right now and I have Desert and Woodland cammies that I wore in boot camp that are ready to go with the name tapes already sewn on. On family day I bought a pair of small regular Woodlands and small regular desert trousers (PX was out of SmReg desert blouses). I have the name tapes for those that need to be put on. Should I just take them to a local tailor and see if they can do it, or wait till I get to SOI next week and have it done there.

Do it now.
If you have the proper nametapes, anyone with a sewing machine can do it.

Whoever it is, make sure they use the correct color thread.
Having an off color will make the uniform unserviceable.

avenger08
05-12-09, 09:41 PM
just get the name tapes sewn on, by a civilian. make sure they use tan or brown for the deserts and black or green for the woodlands

PaidinBlood
05-12-09, 09:54 PM
just use staples, superglue, woodglue, or off colored thread! :D laugh now but i've seen them all... velcro too but that was different...

commdog7
05-12-09, 10:07 PM
I would suggest you hold off. Local tailors may not know Marine Corps regulations and there is a potential that they could jack something up. Anyways, wear the cammies that you had in boot during MCT rather than the new ones. If you wear your new ones in the field, they won't be as presentable when you hit the fleet. That's what I would do, but it's up to you.

PaidinBlood
05-12-09, 10:14 PM
newport beach? yeah i'm sure you can find a military tailor...your call though...lots of beer to drink and tail to chase on leave...you've earned it..

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 03:35 AM
Personally I agree with the Sgt. You want to make a good first impression when you hit the Fleet, and brand spankin' new cammies are a good way to do it (but not a complete way, so don't be an undisciplined turd!).

Oh, and PaidinBlood, you forgot duct tape.

Achped
05-13-09, 08:05 AM
I dont get why we dont use velcro. Thats sexy. Mmmm and the nametapes on the back of the covers with all the cool little patches and the rank in the center of the blouse thats zipped up? How could you not want that?

Crap I'm thinking about the Army.

commdog7
05-13-09, 09:04 AM
I dont get why we dont use velcro. Thats sexy. Mmmm and the nametapes on the back of the covers with all the cool little patches and the rank in the center of the blouse thats zipped up? How could you not want that?

Crap I'm thinking about the Army.

Velcro- who the hell came up with that? It would be incredibly easy for their cammies to get stolen. Not to mention is looks unpresentable. Name tapes are supposed to be sewn on, they are meant to stay on for long periods of time.

BR34
05-13-09, 12:08 PM
Velcro- who the hell came up with that? It would be incredibly easy for their cammies to get stolen. Not to mention is looks unpresentable. Name tapes are supposed to be sewn on, they are meant to stay on for long periods of time.

I don't really think it would be hard to steal cammies with sewn on name tapes. The thread isn't indestructible.

Pete0331
05-13-09, 12:34 PM
I dont get why we dont use velcro.

Because for most Marines having your last name on your cammies isn't a PERSEC issue.

Those that need to do it already do.

Pete0331
05-13-09, 12:36 PM
I don't really think it would be hard to steal cammies with sewn on name tapes. The thread isn't indestructible.

I could steal an MRAP while the Commandant is looking right at me and he wouldn't even know.

Just because your name is on a set of cammies doesn't mean they won't be stolen.
"Oh snap, I better not steal those cammies trousers, they have a name on the pocket."
Having the only blouse with velcro would be a dead give away.

Short story:
There was a problem with guys getting their canteens stolen.
So my battle buddy and I went out and bought black and tan canteens respectively.
That way I would be able to tell who stole my canteens right off the bat.

commdog7
05-13-09, 01:29 PM
Personal theft isn't the biggest issue, but the fact that velcro looks unsat is. Ever notice how 'lumpy' their name tapes look? The only time Marines should have velcro on their cammies is when they are wearing reflective squares in a combat environment.

BR34
05-13-09, 02:37 PM
I could steal an MRAP while the Commandant is looking right at me and he wouldn't even know.

Just because your name is on a set of cammies doesn't mean they won't be stolen.
"Oh snap, I better not steal those cammies trousers, they have a name on the pocket."

Short story:
So my battle buddy and I went out and bought black and tan canteens respectively.

No, you're all wrong!!! Don't you know the Marine Corps invented thread, specifcally as a security measure to help deter criminals from stealing cammies?

Quinbo
05-13-09, 03:30 PM
Not in your shoes but if you find it imperative that the name tapes go on now I have a suggestion. Go to any local tailor with a pair of cammies with tapes already on them as an example. Explain that you want your brand spanking new cammies to look exactly to the milimeter the same way. Let em know about the thread color also. Store them as the emergency OMG the general is coming cammies.

Quinbo
05-13-09, 03:37 PM

Short story:

That is funny ;)

Before name tapes we stenciled our cammies and all out clothes. Pretty big cardboard stencil too and it went on your right cargo pocket and back of your blouse as well as t-shirts and everything else. The idea was that on ships laundry if your laundry bag came open you could find your crap in a half dry pile that smelled like diesel fuel.

I was a boot private and the stencil I used was hosed. Out for PT one day a sergeant yelled .... how many private Dunns do we have in this platoon. Half the jarheads in formation had a t-shirt that said (more or less) quinn on the back. He he ... it was funny to me ;)

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 11:04 PM
No, you're all wrong!!! Don't you know the Marine Corps invented thread, specifcally as a security measure to help deter criminals from stealing cammies?

Fact. I was taught this profound moral lesson my first month in the Fleet.