PDA

View Full Version : what do i need to know to become and officer

jchayden
05-12-09, 09:11 AM
I really want to become a marine officer. I have been all around the world and have seen how good we have it in the US and i want to protect that. but i have several things i want to know before i talk to a recruiter in person.

1st is that will my asthma be a problem? I was diagnosed when i was 11 and only used and inhaler when i was 11 while playing an intense hockey game. and i was a pudgy little kid too. whenever i have used and inhaler since it gave no relief and when checked last year (i was 15) they said i showed no signs of asthma when i blew into that tube, and since i have never used and inhaler. The when i run long distances for gym my chest gets tight but that could be both because i am breathing in the horrible chinese air and i am badly out of shape. i plan on fixing the out of shape part after i finish my final exams next week and start running every day.

2nd is where i currently live. Because of my dad's job at ford my family has to live in china, will this bar me from joining in any way. I would like to also add that i in no way support the Chinese government and infact despise it. (but i would not tell the recruiter i feel so strongly about it because he may take it the wrong way.)

3rd can i pilot f35s (when the come out) because i have 20/50 vision as of last year and my eye doctor said i have been improving every year so by 18 i may get to 20/40 or 20/30, right now i'm 16 and i wear contacts.

thank's a ton for any answers. I'm trying to rule out all things that would bar me from joining but at the same time i wouldn't want to harm other marines for my physical problems. i have the motivation i just need the ok from an authority

edit: i would also like to add that i am 1st in my class in nearly every subject in school, just so the academic aspects of being an officer are covered

Rocky C
05-12-09, 09:34 AM
All I can say is "I LOVE CHINEESE FOOD!!!" and leave the rest up to those that are shaking thier heads :)

NoRemorse
05-12-09, 09:42 AM
Swing and a miss. Profile up kid.

Old Marine
05-12-09, 09:49 AM
All I can say is "I LOVE CHINEESE FOOD!!!" and leave the rest up to those that are shaking thier heads :)

If you go into a restaraunt in order Chow Mein, they will not know what you are talking about.

Rocky C
05-12-09, 09:51 AM
If you go into a restaraunt in order Chow Mein, they will not know what you are talking about.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

SWF8531
05-12-09, 10:08 AM
Not to be mean...but just about every place you said "and" it should have been either "an" or a new sentence.

I prefer Filipino girls.

NoRemorse
05-12-09, 10:17 AM
...I prefer Filipino girls...

Nice!

thewookie
05-12-09, 10:43 AM
edit: i would also like to add that i am 1st in my class in nearly every subject in school, just so the academic aspects of being an officer are covered

Well then, forgo TBS/OCS and just get pinned, I am sure your High School classes are very comparable to that of what a Marine Officer, a pilot no less, will be required to take.

Good luck junior: Keep studying and eating your carrots.

ValleyForge
05-12-09, 11:19 AM
I really want to become a marine officer. I have been all around the world and have seen how good we have it in the US and i want to protect that. but i have several things i want to know before i talk to a recruiter in person.

1st is that will my asthma be a problem? I was diagnosed when i was 11 and only used and inhaler when i was 11 while playing an intense hockey game. and i was a pudgy little kid too. whenever i have used and inhaler since it gave no relief and when checked last year (i was 15) they said i showed no signs of asthma when i blew into that tube, and since i have never used and inhaler. The when i run long distances for gym my chest gets tight but that could be both because i am breathing in the horrible chinese air and i am badly out of shape. i plan on fixing the out of shape part after i finish my final exams next week and start running every day.

2nd is where i currently live. Because of my dad's job at ford my family has to live in china, will this bar me from joining in any way. I would like to also add that i in no way support the Chinese government and infact despise it. (but i would not tell the recruiter i feel so strongly about it because he may take it the wrong way.)

3rd can i pilot f35s (when the come out) because i have 20/50 vision as of last year and my eye doctor said i have been improving every year so by 18 i may get to 20/40 or 20/30, right now i'm 16 and i wear contacts.

thank's a ton for any answers. I'm trying to rule out all things that would bar me from joining but at the same time i wouldn't want to harm other marines for my physical problems. i have the motivation i just need the ok from an authority

First, asthma is a automatic DQ, unless you can go to a doctor and prove that you only had it when you were younger, and show no signs of reoccuring symptoms.

Second, I believe that as long as you are an American citizen you will be alright. The only thing it could affect is your security clearance, which won't be a problem since you want to be a Naval Aviator.

Third, last time I checked, to qualify for an Aviation contract, you must have 20/40 uncorrected vision. If it is not good enough by the time comes, you can get PRK to correct it.

You are a little too young to start talking to an Officer Selection Officer or OSO, but when you get to your senior year in high school/freshman year in college, you should contact one.

I commend you that you strive for excellence in school, but you should realize that at OCS, alot of people are first in their class in academics, captain of their sports team, or very high achievers. I would not expect to "glide through" academics at OCS, TBS, or continuing education if I were you.

Capital M
05-12-09, 12:06 PM
Marineocs.com is a great tool for officer wanna-be's. All your questions about F-35's will be answered there (although I don't recommend asking them, you may get laughed at)

The road to wings is very long, and your performance at API (indoctrination for pilots) is a major factor in determining which pipeline you get (Jets, Heli's, Props) From there your performance in the intermediate stages gets you which vehicle you're assigned. There. are. no. guarantees. There is very strong possibility that you won't get the jet you want (let alone the F-35 since it hasn't even finished, possibly not even started, test phases yet).

You very well may end up flying C-130's and not being that pilot from Live Free, Die Hard.

Finish up High School, Get accepted to College, Be successful and apply for the PLC program. All of that is a long way away and you have a lot of time to think.

And always capitalize Marine.

Good luck

KawiGunny
05-12-09, 12:14 PM
First, you need to read the site rules for a poolie. Then fill out your profile. And finally, stay in school. Obviously they haven't taught you which letters need to be capitalized...... especially Marines.:evilgrin:

CplGiraffe
05-12-09, 06:44 PM
Don't want to step on any toes of those holding the roasting sticks, but I just wanted to add that you must be in a class of idiots if those grammar/English skills earn you the top rank. And, maybe if you actually do know how to use grammar correctly, apply it here for the ease of those around you's eyes?

Shick019
05-12-09, 08:58 PM
Nice, but honestly, I must say I love Russian girls more. <br />
<br />
The hot side of the spectrum, of course. <br />
<br />
Because we all know, there are two types of Russian girls. <br />
<br />
The hot ones, and the...

jchayden
05-13-09, 04:48 AM
Thank you for the responses, my English class actually doesn't have grammar and I haven't taken any grammar for 6 years but this is beside the point.
(not trying to be snarky)

I apologize for my deplorable grammar/ English, I had not read the rules before posting, my bad. If you want to erase this blight on the forums please do so.

Although, if you are willing to let it stay I may as well ask another question. Should I at least go to a recruiting center this summer (I am only in the US during the summers) and get some more information NROTC and OCS? from August-June the only way I can get information is on the marine website.

I am filling out my profile now.

ValleyForge
05-13-09, 02:48 PM
Thank you for the responses, my English class actually doesn't have grammar and I haven't taken any grammar for 6 years but this is beside the point.
(not trying to be snarky)

I apologize for my deplorable grammar/ English, I had not read the rules before posting, my bad. If you want to erase this blight on the forums please do so.

Although, if you are willing to let it stay I may as well ask another question. Should I at least go to a recruiting center this summer (I am only in the US during the summers) and get some more information NROTC and OCS? from August-June the only way I can get information is on the marine website.

I am filling out my profile now.

If this is the summer before your senior year in high school or the equivalent, then it would be a good idea to contact an OSO near where you will be. If you are interested in NROTC, you should visit a couple of universities that have good programs so you can get an idea of what you might be applying for.

MarineOCS.com is a great resource for potential Marine Officer candidates, I suggest you look into the information there to get a better idea of what is required of a Marine Officer.

ValleyForge
05-13-09, 04:22 PM
Capitalize Marine!

and why not. going to an OSO can't hurt you.

Do you see the irony in your reply? Why are you criticizing his grammar when your grammar is jacked up?

At OCS and beyond, a common motto is 'Ductus Exemplo' - which translates into "Leadership by Example." In other words, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

jchayden
05-13-09, 05:42 PM
I've also read that if I want to join the Naval Academy, I need to start applying during my early junior year in high school. Is this true? Next year is my junior year but for colleges they usually tell me to apply at the end of my junior year or at the beginning of my senior year. Would being able to get a recommendation from the governor of Michigan help my chances of acceptance into the academy?

Capital M
05-13-09, 07:55 PM
Do you see the irony in your reply? Why are you criticizing his grammar when your grammar is jacked up?

At OCS and beyond, a common motto is 'Ductus Exemplo' - which translates into "Leadership by Example." In other words, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Excuse me?

There is a difference between mis-typing a period instead of a question mark and not capitalizing Marine.

I was looking out for a fellow wanna-be who 1) was already told to capitalize Marine, and 2) not treating the word Marine, as it should be treated; a title, not a noun.

We're supposed to look out for one another, so I reminded him in a respectful way, to save him a possible chewing and lack of respect, due to not following the rules, by other Marines.

You should know that respect is also a huge thing taught in both boot camp and OCS, and throughout the Marine Corps. So don't act so condescending and rude, frankly it was unwarranted.

ValleyForge
05-13-09, 08:06 PM
Excuse me?

There is a difference between mis-typing a period instead of a question mark and not capitalizing Marine.

I was looking out for a fellow wanna-be who 1) was already told to capitalize Marine, and 2) not treating the word Marine, as it should be treated; a title, not a noun.

We're supposed to look out for one another, so I reminded him in a respectful way, to save him a possible chewing and lack of respect, due to not following the rules, by other Marines.

You should know that respect is also a huge thing taught in both boot camp and OCS, and throughout the Marine Corps. So don't act so condescending and rude, frankly it was unwarranted.

Youngbuck, I was trying to teach you a lesson. Your grammar was lacking, and you were attempting to correct someone on the said subject. You obviously missed the focal point of the lesson.

I graduated from Officer Candidate School, so I might know a thing or two about respect, and a thing or two about the Marine Corps for that matter.

Thank you for the lecture, poolee.

Capital M
05-13-09, 08:24 PM
Youngbuck?

Mature, especially for a future officer.

Until, you you take your commission, you're still a poolee as well, so once again, don't act all condescending and disrespectful to me.

If you want to continue being dick, putting this tough guy approach on and trying to have this sweet little "internet fight" PM me, otherwise move on and get this thread back on topic.

To the OP- go talk to an OSO when you get stateside, it's the best thing you can do in your position. He'll answer all major questions you have. As I said before, Marineocs.com is a great resource and has specific forums for each officer MOS.

If you're interested in flying, Airwarriors.com is a GREAT tool, although the majority of pilots there are Navy, it's basically all the same information and has everything from PRK v LASIK discussions (you mentioned you had bad eyes), F-35 discussions along with what is the best pipeline (jets, tilt rotor, props).

Good luck

sparkie
05-13-09, 08:43 PM
Wanna be an Officer? Try plumbing,,,,, Shet rolls down hill, Payday is on Friday, Never lick your fingers. That's the best O advice I got,,,,,,,,,,,,

meallen07
05-13-09, 11:28 PM
I looked through the post quick, and saw someone mention www.officer.marines.com (http://www.officer.marines.com) which is great. You'll be going through OCS, not Parris Island, or San Diago, so be sure to look at www.ocs.usmc.mil (http://www.ocs.usmc.mil) as well. Those two will have all the information you need. Good luck, it's a long difficult road, but not impossible.

JWDevilDog
05-14-09, 12:04 AM
To you two poolees, this bickering on the forums stops now.

ValleyForge, I commend you on graduating OCS, but you honestly were condescending to the other poolee. I am telling you right now, if that continues in the Corps, your "subordinates" will not think highly of you.

You can recite the leadership traits and priciples all day, but in the end remember this. If you don't have the admiration and respect of those you are supposed to command, then someone else will take your place (probably an enlisted Marine). A condescending, unwarranted might I add, attitude will only make that happen sooner.

b3vii1
09-17-09, 11:11 AM

Yea man..so tru!! that chinese food u buy here in america..that shyt is american food!! most ppl dont really kno this! but its the Truth!

Capital M
09-17-09, 02:15 PM
Yea man..so tru!! that chinese food u buy here in america..that shyt is american food!! most ppl dont really kno this! but its the Truth!

1) Did you just refer to a Gunnery Sergeant as "man"?
2) Did you really just do so to agree with a post from 4 months ago, without adding anything significant to the original topic?

Use your head, and show some respect. Learn proper grammar and spelling too. You aren't texting your girlfriend right now. Might as well just re-read the rules.