PDA

View Full Version : ROTC graduates enter US services

thedrifter
05-12-09, 08:01 AM
ROTC graduates enter US services

Originally Published 2009-05-11

By Yelena Levina

While most college graduates often choose to follow the traditional paths of going to graduate school or beginning careers after receiving their diplomas, some Binghamton University students have decided to enlist in the military and give back to their country post-graduation.

While working for their undergraduate degrees, many University students are also part of military training programs.

“I teach a number of military students every year,” Patrick Regan, a professor of political science, said. “Some write papers critical of policy. [Apart from the military], we don’t have other alternatives in serving our country. They’ve made a choice. They’ve chosen to risk their life in support of a government they might not agree with.”

Those who plan to enlist in the military have several program options. Two seniors and one sophomore have plans to join the National Guard, the Army or the Marines after their graduations.

The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program at BU consists of 16 students. Officer training involves taking leadership courses through the parent program at Cornell University, as well as participating in a physical training program.

The Marine and Air Force groups maintain smaller numbers. While ROTC training is during the academic semester, the Marine Corps train during the summer in Officer Candidate School.

A Marine tour, if deployed, is six months with four years active duty and four years on reserve as an obligation.

National Guard

Jon Pettit, a senior political science major, has chosen to go into the National Guard after graduation.

In October he will train at Fort Benning in Georgia to become an officer in the transportation branch of the U.S. Army.

Upon completion of military transportation school, Pettit will either be called upon by the governor to help with projects in New York or by the U.S. president to be deployed overseas for a five-year rotation. Pettit will train to run convoy missions on the front lines.

“It’s giving back to the community,” said Pettit. “You have to want to do it, you have to have lots of discipline.”

On U.S. soil, the National Guard is called on in time of natural disasters.

Army

Cordell Sutton, a senior chemistry major, will train to be a chemical core officer focusing on chemical and biological warfare, with plans to participate in active duty after training.

“The military sets very high standards for work and productivity,” Sutton said. “When I first started [ROTC], I didn’t understand what leadership and management meant.”

Sutton joined the ROTC in his sophomore year at BU, as he said it is his responsibility to serve his country.

“I feel obligated,” Sutton said. “It doesn’t feel right that my peers overseas are fighting and dying and I’m sitting here.”

Marines

Reuben Pearlman, an undecided sophomore, has plans to join the Marine Corps infantry post-graduation.

Pearlman considers himself fortunate to have the opportunity to enlist in the Marines.

“I want to serve my country,” Pearlman said. “I feel very fortunate to be here. It is a job.”

According to Pearlman, most recruits in the military come from lower socioeconomic status households and choose the military as an alternative to going to college. Through the military, one can still have an avenue to a career.

Pearlman chose the Marines because of his interest in its history.

“During the Revolutionary War, the first Marines were on Navy ships and they were sharp-shooting at nearby enemy ships,” Pearlman said. “Then they started ship-boarding, onto the enemy vessel.”

Ellie