PDA

View Full Version : Met a Vietnam Vet

SJPB
05-12-09, 01:04 AM
I was with my wife on vacation with the family in Reno. We went to a restaurant to get some burgers and while we were sitting down I noticed the older man sitting across from us with his wife look up and take notice @ my brother-in-law's Marine sweater and my wife's Marine shirt. Now none of us are Marines yet, but my wife just went to boot a day ago, my brother-in-law in a few months and myself in October.

He looked over at us and asked if we were Marines and we all said no and explained we are on the path though and he congratulated us on our decision and began to tell us he was a Marine and served in Vietnam as a sniper. He said he earned 2 purple hearts and as he was telling us about his buddies in Vietnam he got really choked up...it was really touching that he would share something that meant so much to him. We all stood up and shook his hand and thanked him for everything he has done. His wife had a smile from ear to ear when we did that.

He then told us about how after not seeing anyone for 40 years he got together with some guys that were still alive from his platoon and how they went to Vietnam and revisited a lot of old places. He told us the story with such pride and emotion you could see the tears in his eyes were ready to start running down, but he never let it drop from his eye.

He then got up and thanked and congratulated us and left with his wife. When we went to pay the bill the waitress told us the man we were talking to took care of it for us and our meal was paid for. Never saw the guy again, but I just thought I'd share the story about this Marine.

Kreegz
05-12-09, 08:29 AM
And that's one of the main reasons I picked the Marines instead of any other branch. The brotherhood, pride, and camaraderie. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

I believe this picture fits quite well here:

http://i41.tinypic.com/23mllao.jpg

I CAN' WAIT to earn the title.

JMReynolds111
05-12-09, 04:11 PM
"A picture is worth a thousand words" Thousand doesn't cut it for this one .

AlanJames
05-12-09, 04:16 PM
Right on!

I met a Vietnam Vet once too, it happens to be my brand new uncle. My aunt remarried. I forget the details but he was on a boat, and didn't see any action- voted for LBJ and got out.

He did detail how hard boot camp was back then, and said that the only question they asked him during his enlistment process was: "Have you killed anyone before?" and if he answered yes, they would of asked "Was it on purpose?" if he answered yes they would let you enter, but if you said it was on accident, they wouldn't let you in.