PDA

View Full Version : higher rating for dissability

supredave
05-11-09, 06:22 PM
I am currently at 20 % 10% on each Knee both service related and I dont understand the rating system I cant stand for more than 2 1/2 hrs or sit for more than 2 1/2 hrs, I was asked why I dont use a cane when I walk by the VA doc. and all I get is 10 % on each Kneen how do they determine the rating and how do I get it increased, Loosing my Job after 19 yrs 11 months 3 weeks and going back into the "regular" work force just aint an option for me and I dont know what to do. I have been out since July of 89 and have been fortunate to work at a job where it would accomidate me in breaks and lunch breaks, but I dont know what to do know. Any help would be great, thaks ihn advance.

SEMPRE FI
DAVE

Rocky C
05-11-09, 06:30 PM
Go straight to the DAV office at your VA Hospital and they will do the paperwork for you for to reopen your case, then an Appt. for Re-evaluation from the clinic and wait.
Good Luck but don't wait my brother, get it done NOW!!!
Semper Fi,
Rocky 100% SC.

supredave
05-11-09, 06:34 PM
I did that about a year after my initial evaluation and it was the same as the first time but its getting worse for me to get around, will my local VA clinic do anything for me or should I go directly to the DAV office ?
thanks

Rocky C
05-11-09, 06:46 PM
Go right to the DAV office first to reopen your claim. then the clinic and if the clinic doesn't do anything for you, go to the Patient Advocates Office and tell them that you are feeling worse and THEY will get you to the Clinic Chief for MRI'S etc.

supredave
05-11-09, 06:49 PM
Thanks Devil Dog

Rocky C
05-11-09, 06:52 PM
Your Wecome Dave and Good Luck.
I am a Life Member DAV.
Let me know how you make out Brother,
Semper Fi,

Rocky

supredave
05-11-09, 06:53 PM
Oh I Will Bud Just Found This Site And I Aint Leaving

Rocky C
05-11-09, 07:09 PM
Welcome Aboard and Square away your profile Dave. You will get alot more advise from the Brothers and Sisters here when it is completed because you know us MARINES, Hyper-Vigilent we remain.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

supredave
05-11-09, 07:22 PM
Welcome Aboard and Square away your profile Dave. You will get alot more advise from the Brothers and Sisters here when it is completed because you know us MARINES, Hyper-Vigilent we remain.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Done and Done :D

fr1sbee
05-12-09, 01:44 AM
Since you already have a claim with the VA you can write on ordinary letterhead a request to be reevaluted for disability... state your reasons why you think its wrong.. believe me they do this all...

supredave
05-12-09, 05:50 PM
thanks
right now I have no choice but to wait till July , thats when Im getting layed off after almost 20 yrs and I need all the hrs I can get now but I will definatly look further into it and get with the DAV personal at the nearest VA hospital

supredave
02-08-10, 01:42 PM
Just a little update...

I went to Palo Alto VA on Fri. the 5th and had my follw up app. with the VA, I think it went well but Its gonna take at least 2-3 months for the final evaluation to come to me so I can see if my disability will be increased, Now I have to go to Livermore to see a Orthopedic surgen about my Knees so fingers crossed that will go well, then I filled out a PTSD questioneer and now they wanna talk to me about that...Hope that goes OK.

Semper Fi Jarheads :flag:

kfisbusy
02-08-10, 04:05 PM
:evilgrin:Dave I will tell you this get the paper going now do'nt wait until you get layed off. The V.a. takes its time. So get in asap. I know guys that have been frighting them going on 2 years and longer. Like they were saying go to the D.A.V. do not wait. Let us know how it goes for you brother. Semper Fi. SSGT. Francisco:flag::iwo:.

Riven37
02-08-10, 04:10 PM
Who ever your service officer was didn't do a very good job...PUT IN AN APPEAL TOMORROW ..... If I did your claim you be unemployable due to increased pain, restricted mobility, and whatever else I could come up with....Don't dick around with these people they are not your friend. The VA system was told to cut cost any way they can...even at your expense.

supredave
02-08-10, 04:32 PM
:evilgrin:Dave I will tell you this get the paper going now do'nt wait until you get layed off. The V.a. takes its time. So get in asap. I know guys that have been frighting them going on 2 years and longer. Like they were saying go to the D.A.V. do not wait. Let us know how it goes for you brother. Semper Fi. SSGT. Francisco:flag::iwo:.

got layed off in Oct. but the paper work was started before that it took this long to get in and thanks for the advice and help

supredave
02-08-10, 04:37 PM
Who ever your service officer was didn't do a very good job...PUT IN AN APPEAL TOMORROW ..... If I did your claim you be unemployable due to increased pain, restricted mobility, and whatever else I could come up with....Don't dick around with these people they are not your friend. The VA system was told to cut cost any way they can...even at your expense.

so ya wanna do my calim...lol

Im waiting for the responce from Fridays meeting to see what they say in the mean time Im gonna get ahold of my local V.A clinic and get another app. to see a orthapedic sergon, until then I have to wait to hear form them to see what the latest is.
the Doc on friday seemed very sympathic but that could have been a load, I dont know, I hope he saw things my way but only time will tell

thanks brothers
Semper Fi

hbharrison
03-10-10, 11:29 AM
Supredave I 'm on my second go around and it does work so keep filing they will have to listen they are just slow at times.:D

jack1227
03-14-10, 02:01 PM
I am currently at 20 % 10% on each Knee both service related and I dont understand the rating system I cant stand for more than 2 1/2 hrs or sit for more than 2 1/2 hrs, I was asked why I dont use a cane when I walk by the VA doc. and all I get is 10 % on each Kneen how do they determine the rating and how do I get it increased, Loosing my Job after 19 yrs 11 months 3 weeks and going back into the "regular" work force just aint an option for me and I dont know what to do. I have been out since July of 89 and have been fortunate to work at a job where it would accomidate me in breaks and lunch breaks, but I dont know what to do know. Any help would be great, thaks ihn advance.

SEMPRE FI
DAVE

You have received many suggestions and I have one more for you, based on my personal experience. Since you are service connected, like me, all you have to do is make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon so you can tell him what's wrong and you can decide if you have confidence in him. Your objective is to get knee replacement surgery, it will change your life immediately as far as pain goes. I lived with the same deal for 30 years (wounded in Vietnam '68) and was rated at 80% disabled but after I had the surgery I went to the DAV and requested to be reevaluated. Shortly after I got a letter from the "Tiger Team" saying that my disability had been raised to 100% due to unemployability. As the "Tiger Team" explained in the letter their charter was to expedite claims based on past history, whatever that means.

What I'm encouraging you to do is ACT NOW. The longer you wait to the longer it will drag on, by the way patience is a must for this process.
Good Luck

rufus1
04-05-10, 07:43 PM
Check out www.hadit.com because they have a lot of stuff and you can ask questions an get their response. The people have a lot of dealing with the VA and give some good advise from what I have seen posted.

supredave
04-05-10, 10:24 PM
Ok update for everyone
I had my app. with the VA and I get a letter that states I have arthritis in my L knee and the R if fine (BS) then I get a letter from the VA that states that there is not going to be an increase in disability due to the fact that there is no arthritis, come on WTF, what am I gonna do NOW help a brotha out devil dogs I dont know wha to do, I still have the original 20% but they say that I dont get a higher rating and I only have problems with 1 knee and yet they say I have a problem with the other knee but wont give me a higher rating

Im lost in the system arent I

Riven37
04-06-10, 10:01 AM
SuperDave:

How old are you ? Yes, age may be a factor if you are one of these newer vets like being less then 35 years of age. I don't know how much your guys are following DC but there are new changes coming down the pike for the VA system and it may put many of us back into the work force just saying.

Anyways, you will need to keep fighting there system, find a good service officer or clams officer don't take no for your answer keep at it nothing is free even our disabilities.

Ok update for everyone
I had my app. with the VA and I get a letter that states I have arthritis in my L knee and the R if fine (BS) then I get a letter from the VA that states that there is not going to be an increase in disability due to the fact that there is no arthritis, come on WTF, what am I gonna do NOW help a brotha out devil dogs I dont know wha to do, I still have the original 20% but they say that I dont get a higher rating and I only have problems with 1 knee and yet they say I have a problem with the other knee but wont give me a higher rating

Im lost in the system arent I

supredave
04-06-10, 10:28 AM
IM 42 and I have a service related disability but not combat related, thanks for the info :iwo: