PDA

View Full Version : Marine Moms spruce up local cemetery

thedrifter
05-11-09, 10:41 AM
Marine Moms spruce up local cemetery

By Antrenise Cole
Times Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 8:08 p.m.

On the second Saturday of each month, Marine Moms, a military support group for family and friends, is gathering with other members of the community to clean Garner's Cemetery. The cemetery contains the only known Revolutionary War soldier's grave in Gadsden.
"When I came up here the very first time, my heart was broken to see how it looked," said Betty Johns, president of the group. "It really hurt me that it was in that much bad shape. It had leaves up to your waist in some areas. I don't think it's been cleaned in a long while."
The group held the first clean-up in April and plans to continue once a month until September.
The clean-up includes cutting the grass, raking leaves and grave maintenance.
"Our first clean-up last month was a great success," Johns said. "We had about 50 people help. This time we had about 20 people. We got a lot accomplished. We still have a ways to go, but we're going to continue doing this."
Johns said they chose the cemetery as a service project because a Revolutionary War soldier, Joseph Garner, is buried there.
"He actually owned all of this area and he's the very first person buried," she said. "There are other veterans buried here. There are also a lot of unmarked graves that just have rocks around it with no tombstones. I think it's a privilege for our group to come up here to do this. It's just a very peaceful and beautiful place. It's got a lot of history."
According to Johns, Garner born in the 1750s in Virginia. He enlisted in Fauquier County, Va., and served in Capt. William Blackwells Virginia Regiment. Garner moved to what is now St. Clair County in 1820 and some time later moved to what is now Gadsden, Johns said.
Garner died Dec. 20, 1840, at the age of 86. Several of his family members also are buried in the cemetery.
In December 2007, Marine Moms was organized in Gadsden. The group does service projects in North Gadsden that benefit veterans.
The group is open to all military families and friends.
"I started Marine Moms because I have a son (Cpl. Juan Ponce) in the Marines," John said. "I would like to thank our veterans for their sacrifice to our country. I'm so proud to be an American."
Anyone interested in assisting with the cleanup is asked to contact Johns at 543-9646.

Ellie