PDA

View Full Version : Area Young Marine given top honor at national competition

thedrifter
05-11-09, 10:38 AM
Area Young Marine given top honor at national competition

By Harriet Daniels
Staff writer

Published: Monday, May 11, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.

Kaylee Hill joined the local Young Marine program more than five years ago at the encouragement of her grandfather.

She never imagined advancing in rank or becoming a leader.

The program - under the Marine Corps League with a focus on military drills, discipline, teamwork and leadership - has been a good fit for the once shy teen who is a now a sergeant major.

Kaylee, 17, who was recently named national Young Marine of the Year, is known to be cool under pressure and a mentor to younger members.

Both are traits that will likely serve her well as she embarks on a heavy travel schedule over the next year representing the national organization.

Kaylee, a junior at Williston High School, is a member of the Milton Lewis Young Marine Unit in Gainesville, which was also named Young Marine Unit of the Year two weeks ago during the organization's 50th anniversary celebration in Waterbury, Conn.

Excited just to be one of six division winners from around the country, Kaylee felt she had a good shot at the national title following the interview portion.

"I was confident I'd answered the judges questions well to show my knowledge of the Young Marines," she said.

A lengthy portfolio, complete with numerous awards, detail her efforts as a Young Marine.

She enjoys the community service aspect of the program and has enjoyed the leadership training.

"When I heard them say the winner is from Division 3, it did not click that I'd won. Then they called my name and I'm like, Hey that's me," she said.

It was yet another goal Kaylee, daughter of Mike and Michelle Hill, had set to accomplish in the program which she describes as, "My life."

Younger sister Torie, 9, is following her footsteps as a Young Marine.

Her grandfather Cary Hill serves as the commanding officer of the unit.

He did not think Kaylee had a chance of winning after the unit earned top honors.

"I went crazy when she won," Hill said. "I'm just so proud of her and all she's accomplished. She's earned everything she's received."

The unit, known for placing American flags on the graves of area veterans on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, will attend a few national events during the year and can claim Kaylee to represent them.

As the Young Marine of the Year, Kaylee received a set of luggage, a $2,500 scholarship and has a $5,000 travel budget to carry out her duties for the year.

Mike Kessler, executive director/CEO of the Young Marines, said Kaylee is the fourth female to earn the national title, "which means she's the best of the best."

Kessler describes Kaylee as "confident, enthusiastic and credible with her accomplishments as a Young Marine."

He will be in Gainesville on June 6 to present the unit with their national award and to pin Kaylee.

"Kaylee was herself during the interview portion, unlike some of the males who try to impress the judges by coming across as an adult or like a Marine," Kessler said.

"I'm not looking for a Marine but someone who is a kid at heart. As the Young Marine of the Year, they will be my direct link to the other 12,000 kids in the program," he said.

A career in the military is a remote possibility for Kaylee, who is contemplating her options.

"I'm thinking about something in the medical field, maybe a doctor, nurse or veterinarian," she said. "But I don't know yet. ... I'm still figuring it out."

The teen, with a 3.8 grade-point average, plans to dual enroll at Santa Fe College in the fall.

Ellie