View Full Version : An area wounded warrior gives back

thedrifter
05-11-09, 08:27 AM
An area wounded warrior gives back

Posted: May 8, 2009 02:16 PM

Updated: May 11, 2009 01:15 AM

Reported by Kim Ratcliff -
Posted by Debra Worley -

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Everyday you hear stories about American soldiers, marines, sailors, and pilots getting hurt or killed fighting for our freedom.

While we don't always have a name or picture to share, we do know that man or woman in the story has a family - someone at home that will miss them forever or will forever have to help them with a debilitating injury.

"Because of the internal injuries I was split pretty much from the pelvis to sternum and left open," said MSgt Carl Traub, USMC (Ret). "I had to heal from the inside out."

Carl and Cindy Traub invited WECT into their home so we could tell their story and help others.

Cindy is sweet and quiet, while Carl joked about needing a couple takes to get from his wheelchair to the couch.

As a master sergeant for the Marine Corps, Carl said goodbye to Cindy and his sons Carl the 5th and Brandon in September 2005 to ship out to Iraq.

It was just two months later the explosives ordinance disposal technician would find one, as he puts it "the hard way," when it blew up right under the vehicle he was in.

"It crushed my feet, ankles, lower legs, broke my knees, my pelvis in 3 places my back in about 6 places," said Carl. "I've got a 90% sever of my spinal cord and L2. I prayed to God, asking him to bring me home to give me a second chance to raise my boys."

After more prayers, and six months of surgeries and rehab in different parts of the country Carl came home with Cindy by his side.

"I knew right away because of his spinal cord injuries that we were going to have to make some changes," said Cindy.

The Traub's now have a home outfitted specifically with a wheelchair in mind, so Carl can get around the house fine and according to Cindy helps with chores he never did before.

But Carl wanted to do more, not for himself but for others, so Cindy wrote a request to Hope for the Warriors, an organization that helps wounded warriors.

Thanks to Hope for the Warriors, Carl and his family have been given a warriors wish. He will soon have a 16x40 foot pool that will be used for more than just Carl's physical therapy.

"I came to Cindy with an idea and that idea consisted of a pool and pool house that would serve as a ministry building," said Carl.

And the Traub's are not stopping there - Carl will ride a hand cycle in the 4th annual run for the warriors at Camp Lejeune while Cindy and the boys will do the 1 mile walk.

The Traub's want to make sure other wounded warriors and their families are taken care of in the future.

Ellie