PDA

View Full Version : More than 200 Marines depart on emotional Mother's Day

thedrifter
05-11-09, 07:23 AM
More than 200 Marines depart on emotional Mother's Day
Comments 5 | Recommend 1
May 10, 2009 - 4:13 PM
BY CHRIS McDANIEL, SUN STAFF WRITER

Marines are called on to make many sacrifices for their country, and they do so without hesitation, even when it means they have to leave their families to deploy overseas on Mother's Day.

The Marines of VMA-214 got on a plane Sunday to head for combat duty, after tearful goodbyes from loved ones and children.

"We are going overseas, destination Afghanistan, to support Operation Enduring Freedom," said Sgt. Major Derek Fry. "Grunts are on the ground kicking in doors and getting into hairy situations, and when they stir up a hornets nest, we will be there to provide air support."

As well as pilots, VMA-214 consists of mechanics, intelligence officers, medical staff, cooks and other necessary personnel who work together to make sure the unit is successful in their mission.

Many of the Marines will be leaving their wives and young children behind. Jennifer Wilkins, a mother of three, is one of those wives.

"It is kind of ironic that my husband is leaving on Mother's Day, and now I am going to be a single parent for nine months," said Wilkins. "He was deployed twice before, but that was before we had kids. Having them makes it more emotional, and tonight when he is not next to me in bed, it will feel empty."

Alyssa Banachoski said the constant change in deployment dates made it even harder to prepare for the inevitable departure of her husband Lance Cpl. Robert Banachoski.

"We just had a baby and I knew he was leaving, I just didn't know when," said Banachoski. "It has been an emotional rollercoaster."

Sgt. Francisco Bucio has been deployed twice before, and his wife Griselda said that makes it a little easier for her to deal with this time.

"Now I just think of it as a business trip, but I am a full-time mom and it is hard when he is not here. He is my big helper. I do go through emotional phases throughout the day, and the first month is the hardest, but I will keep myself busy as much as I can. It helps to have the support of family and friends."

Sgt. Bucio said it is difficult to leave his family.

"It is harder now because I did not have kids before, but I knew when I signed up that I would be separated from my friends and family. I know the good and the bad that comes with being a Marine, and I like it anyway."

This will be the first deployment for Lance Cpl. Daniel Keil, who is a new dad.

"Becoming a father was the happiest day in my life. It is hard to leave my son, I know this is a crucial stage in his life," said Keil. "He'll be crawling and sitting up soon, and I won't be here to see it. This is my first deployment and I really have no emotions right now. The faster I leave the faster I come back."

For some boys, the absence of their father means they have to become the man of the house, even if they are only 8 years old.

"I'm sad my dad is going to be gone so long," said Christopher Borjas. "This morning I cleaned the floors and washed the dishes. I have to be grown up while he's gone, but he'll be back."

Ellie