PDA

View Full Version : Medical while on boot leave

sec9
05-10-09, 09:07 PM
Hello Marines, quick question here. I just graduated from MCRDSD on May 8th and I am now on my leave. I have been having problems with pain in my foot and wanted to get it checked out just to rule out anything like a stress fracture. How does medical work, do I just go to my regular doctor? Im not sure if Im off the insurance because I am no longer in school now.

SSgt Ramsey
05-10-09, 09:39 PM
You're Active Duty Military...you have Tricare Prime as a default medical insurance....

Go to the hospital and explain that you are active duty, show your ID card, and go from there.

They will probably just bill Tricare for your visit and you won't see a bill most likely. If they require a fee up-front, get a receipt and bring it with you to your first duty station to be reimbursed.

DIBLO7
05-10-09, 10:48 PM
If your within a reasonable driving distance (about 60 miles) tricare will expect you to drive to a military hospital for non emergency care. If you're out in the sticks though, you should be good to do what the SSgt said, there is some extra paperwork, but the hospital should be able to help you out with that.

sec9
05-10-09, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went to tricare's website and searched through their providers and my family doctor's name was listed as one they accepted so I think I will be good to go.

polizei
05-12-09, 04:16 PM
You need to bring your new records to MCT/SOI, so make sure you keep them. And, if you want to wait, they do a med scan there after you check in, that's when I plan on getting checked out. I hope I don't get held too long...I think my foot is fractured. I hope your's isn't anything major.

-Cody