PDA

View Full Version : MARSOC, but what about RECON?

ColdBlooded
05-10-09, 08:08 PM
Ok so I know that MARSOC is fairly new to our Corps and that RECON has been around much longer but what is the difference? I know while in MARSOC training you are taught how to work in small groups sometimes pairs, you are taught different lenguages and get around 3000 dollars a year for civillian clothing (hence you doing missions as a civillian look alike.) The training is tough, and many times people don't make it through. I can go on and on about MARSOC becuase I have gone to the brief because they are in dire need of people.

Me and a friend of mine are training hard for the next six months before they come again and recruit at our base but now I'm thinking about what the life in RECON is like. Different? Maybe. I have no idea. I know that MARSOC runs its opperations under SOCOM so it does not take orders from the Marine Corps itself. So I wonder what the ranking structure is like, what the life style is like and so on. I know that in North Carolina SOCOM is building a 55 billion dollar facility for MARSOC, what it is and what will be in it? Only they know.

If you know about RECON please feel free to post and give me and maybe other Marines with the same question some insite on this question.

PaidinBlood
05-10-09, 08:30 PM
Ok so I know that MARSOC is fairly new to our Corps and that RECON has been around much longer but what is the difference? I know while in MARSOC training you are taught how to work in small groups sometimes pairs, you are taught different lenguages and get around 3000 dollars a year for civillian clothing (hence you doing missions as a civillian look alike.) The training is tough, and many times people don't make it through. I can go on and on about MARSOC becuase I have gone to the brief because they are in dire need of people.

Me and a friend of mine are training hard for the next six months before they come again and recruit at our base but now I'm thinking about what the life in RECON is like. Different? Maybe. I have no idea. I know that MARSOC runs its opperations under SOCOM so it does not take orders from the Marine Corps itself. So I wonder what the ranking structure is like, what the life style is like and so on. I know that in North Carolina SOCOM is building a 55 billion dollar facility for MARSOC, what it is and what will be in it? Only they know.

If you know about RECON please feel free to post and give me and maybe other Marines with the same question some insite on this question.

Where do you get half your info from? Pay off your GI Bill before you start trying to advertise something you obviously know nothing about. Good luck on your "tryouts", champ. :usmc:

ColdBlooded
05-10-09, 08:40 PM
Ok so I'm guessing the recruiter for MARSOC is just pulling **** out of his ass then? If you got **** give him ****. Enjoy the rest of your day.

ColdBlooded
05-10-09, 08:44 PM
Oh and if you didn't know that MARSOC was under the command of SOCOM then I'll take your crossrifles "LCpl."

PaidinBlood
05-10-09, 08:48 PM
haha..you can have 'em, Kemosabe...yes MarSoc does fall under SoCom....the rest is a little subject to interpretation..but I'm just a dumb grunt so fagheddboudit.. :D

PaidinBlood
05-10-09, 08:49 PM
ps...dont bother cussin...with the filters all we see is stars and your point gets lost.. SF

ColdBlooded
05-10-09, 10:57 PM
:beer: need one of these paidinblood?

PaidinBlood
05-10-09, 11:04 PM
Had plenty today...off to bed now..going to do the rocky thing and run swim run the beach before work tomorrow...that's the intent but it might look more like this at first:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/2545785771_516d64e089.jpg?v=0

then this

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.com/media/2008/08/sea-lion.jpg

and finally:
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/Avenged2/Grave_by_Maggie_Twinkle.jpg

Pete0331
05-10-09, 11:22 PM
Oh and if you didn't know that MARSOC was under the command of SOCOM then I'll take your crossrifles "LCpl."

Alright Private First Class, time for you to knock off the attitude.

Knowing that MarSOC is part of SOCOM is not grounds for talking down to a LCpl.
And it certainly doesn't qualify the cocky to be promoted.

ColdBlooded
05-10-09, 11:38 PM
Yes Cpl, we were just ****ing around, no pun intended.

Namster
05-11-09, 07:15 PM
All right,

If you're serious, start training hard. Be at peak mental and physical shape. Whatever shape you're in now, train twice as hard.

Instead of getting pre-conceptions, it is better to go thru with none. Everyone's experience is different. Go in with an open mind.

Adapt, improvise, and overcome.

Don't quit.

Great time. Great people. Great training.

BR34
05-12-09, 06:09 AM
Yes Cpl, we were just ****ing around, no pun intended.

No, he was ****ing around. You have a damn attitude problem, and this isn't the first time I've seen it. For someone who asks so many questions about so many things you might want to tone down the attitude before there's no one around here willing to help your smart ass out anymore!

Why didn't you ask your MARSOC recruiter about the differences between them and Recon?

pheartnov2904
05-13-09, 10:11 PM
Most of Marines on this site have more time in combat than you have in the Marine Corps, so please have some respect and bite your tongue once in a while.

Welcome to the Corps, young Devil.

;)

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 11:22 PM
I hate it when a PFC talks to a LCpl like that... I don't tolerate that around my shop, and everyone knows it.

I had a PFC doing morning cleanup after PT everyday for a week and a half (weekends included at 0500), and buffing decks for three hours for two of those days too (in the evenings, on his liberty time), because he had an attitude problem. I had the full support of the NCOs on that one. I don't tolerate attitudes.

ColdBlooded
05-14-09, 12:35 AM
I hate it when a PFC talks to a LCpl like that... I don't tolerate that around my shop, and everyone knows it.

I had a PFC doing morning cleanup after PT everyday for a week and a half (weekends included at 0500), and buffing decks for three hours for two of those days too (in the evenings, on his liberty time), because he had an attitude problem. I had the full support of the NCOs on that one. I don't tolerate attitudes.

With all do respect LCpl, I'm no **** bag, I do my job with amazing talent, roll my sleeves to perfection, and respect NCO's and higher at all times. PVT, PFC and LCpl however havent earned rank at all, it was given to them. The LCpls that take this whole power trip to the max are usually the ones who think of the Marine Corps as a portal to letting their anger out on other people because of their shi*ty life before joining. Yes, people are going to talk **** about me and my comment but is this a forum? Yes. Is this my opinion? Yes. Is this what most people agree with whom I have spoken too? Yes. Actually... all people. As a Marine I have amazing leaders that know great mission accomplishment and have taught me alot these 6 months I have been in the fleet. Trust me the way you're treating that PFC is going to get you the product of a PFC that's not going to get you the mission accomplishment you want, and you will not get respect from anyone either.

ColdBlooded
05-14-09, 01:15 AM
Yes, and after this comment obviously no one is going to like me blah whatever... but I didn't join for people to like me. I joined to not f*ck people over, respect my fellow Marines and do the best job that I can to contribute to my Corps. What really ****es me off and I will not tollerate is people using rank to have power trips (unless NCO or higher) just becuse they were picked on in high school or just think they're hard asses and like making people's live's miserable. NCO's no dissrespect intended.

JWDevilDog
05-14-09, 02:01 AM
With all do respect LCpl, I'm no **** bag, I do my job with amazing talent, roll my sleeves to perfection, and respect NCO's and higher at all times. PVT, PFC and LCpl however havent earned rank at all, it was given to them. The LCpls that take this whole power trip to the max are usually the ones who think of the Marine Corps as a portal to letting their anger out on other people because of their shi*ty life before joining. Yes, people are going to talk **** about me and my comment but is this a forum? Yes. Is this my opinion? Yes. Is this what most people agree with whom I have spoken too? Yes. Actually... all people. As a Marine I have amazing leaders that know great mission accomplishment and have taught me alot these 6 months I have been in the fleet. Trust me the way you're treating that PFC is going to get you the product of a PFC that's not going to get you the mission accomplishment you want, and you will not get respect from anyone either.

That's interesting, because I don't remember ever calling you a sh*t bag. I didn't even think it, actually. LCpl. might be a given rank, but that Marine has still been around longer than you and done more than you. That Marine has seniority over you, and whether you like it or not, seniority is important in the Marine Corps. Infantry LCpl's are often fireteam leaders, which puts the the lives of a small handful of other Marines in their hands. Just a given rank then? Well yes, the rank is still given. But if you think it doesn't mean anything, then you are mistaken. Marines are supposed to act and behave as one rank up does. This means that Lances are kinda supposed to be the pitbulls, while the Corporals are there more as a mediator.

Now, in terms of my childhood. I had an excelent one, actually. I wasn't abused, I had a decent education, I was pretty well provided for. I don't have anything to complain about. And I don't go around acting like a bully. No, that Marine that did morning cleanup and whatnot is a sh*t bag and deserved to be reprimanded. Instead of having NCOs do it, or have SNCOs do paperwork on the Marine, I asked my Corporal if I could take matters into my own hand. He ok'd what I wanted the PFC to do. He is a turd, but I never said anything about you being a turd.

I know life as a PFC sucks, because I was there too. Life still sucks as a Lance, but believe it or not it is tolerable. I don't take any anger out on people, but I do expect Marines to have discipline. That is part of being a Marine. You don't just get to the Fleet and allow yourself to slack and not have discipline. Yes, it is a bit more lax than boot camp, of course. But that doesn't mean discipline gets thrown out the window. Having at least a bit of respect for a Lance is part of discipline, especially when they tell you to get something done (general cleanup around the shop, things like that). Usually when a Lance tells a PFC to do something, it is because an NCO told the Lance to find someone to do it.

And that PFC deserves what he has been given, because (I'm not going into details) but let's just say he has tremendous respect issues when it comes to NCOs. I will not settle for a boot PFC talking about my NCOs like that, so that is why I took matters into my hands. If he can accomplish the mission, great, but rest assured if that Marine can't follow simple orders (and instead tells a Cpl. to "f*ck off") then I highly doubt he will be able to accomplish bigger missions. If he so blatantly lacks discipline, then the mission will not be accomplished, period.

Again, I never called you a sh*t bag and I don't think you are one. I simply said I don't tolerate disrespect. That higher rank has been around longer might know what he's talking about.

But it goes both ways. I take advice from PFCs who know their sh*t too, of course. One PFC has been NJP'd a number of times. Do I think he's a sh*t bag? Maybe. But I know he knows his MOS better than most junior Marines, myself included. So I find myself going to him every so often with questions.

JWDevilDog
05-14-09, 02:03 AM
And by the way, saying "with all due respect" isn't a catch-all to allow you to say what you want. I'm talking specifically with NCOs and SNCOs.

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:09 AM
I hate it when a thread gets fvcked up with dumb shi t. Ojeda...not a power trip but yeah it irritates the living shi t outta me when some FNG tries to get rowdy with it. Right or wrong, you gotta do your time before anyone will listen to you. (At work, that is)

As for the forum, I never fvckin asked you to type at parade rest and sound off, but it wouldn't kill you to slow down and remove your head from your azz before speaking. In doing so, you will find your comments much better received.

I practice what I preach...when I think someone has seen more or done more or somehow just plain wiser than I am, I tend to listen. When they obviously have not, I try to impart some of the little wisdom I have. Pretty elementary..

echo3oscar1833
05-14-09, 08:46 AM
Easy Killer, you had best watch what you say. First and foremost, Lcpl may just be a given, rank to you. In reality it isn't just given. Your command is the deciding factor if you will pick it up....

pheartnov2904
05-14-09, 10:02 AM

Man, you are one f'ed up Marine for having this line of thinking. There are Lance Corporals all over the Marine Corps with a ton of experience, deployment time and knowledge. By your reasoning Lance Corporals shouldn't really have any power at all, even though a lot of them of been on a combat tour or have a ton of field time. Unless an unlawful order is given, you respect your superior. Period.

When I was coming up in the Marines the senior Lance Corporals helped shape who I was going to be as an NCO. The Marines in my platoon approaching their second strip were ready for the rank. If they were to pick up Corporal and not be ready than I might not be typing this today. That is 100% fact. Now you can go on being angry at Marines with cross rifles, but it's not going to get you into the good training quotas or get you any respect from the other Marines in your platoon.

Take the good parts away from your leadership and make your self one badazz NCO. That's how it's done my young friend.

SF

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
05-14-09, 10:38 AM
Man, you are one f'ed up Marine for having this line of thinking. There are Lance Corporals all over the Marine Corps with a ton of experience, deployment time and knowledge. By your reasoning Lance Corporals shouldn't really have any power at all, even though a lot of them of been on a combat tour or have a ton of field time. Unless an unlawful order is given, you respect your superior. Period.

When I was coming up in the Marines the senior Lance Corporals helped shape who I was going to be as an NCO. The Marines in my platoon approaching their second strip were ready for the rank. If they were to pick up Corporal and not be ready than I might not be typing this today. That is 100% fact. Now you can go on being angry at Marines with cross rifles, but it's not going to get you into the good training quotas or get you any respect from the other Marines in your platoon.

Take the good parts away from your leadership and make your self one badazz NCO. That's how it's done my young friend.

SF

I COULDN'T OF SAID IT BETTER MYSELF.....

I KNOW WHEN I WAS A LCPL AND A CPL....WE HAD A PVT THAT KNEW MORE THE SOME CPL'S AND SGT'S BECAUSE HE HAD BEEN AROUND LONGER...TRUST ME JUST BECAUSE A MARINE IS A PVT OR A PFC OR A LCPL DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T KNOW THERE JOBS....THIS PVT KNEW A SH*T TON ABOUT HIS MOS. HE WAS THE ONES GIVING CLASSES....TRUST ME..EVEN KNOWING I OUT RANKED HIM IF HE WAS GIVING A CLASS I LISTENED BECAUSE.....BECAUSE HE KNEW HIS SH*T....AND JUST BECAUSE HE GOT INTO SOME TROUBLE DOESN'T MEAN HE IS A COMPLETE SH*TBAG

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
05-14-09, 10:45 AM
But I Said My Peace, Now Tone It Down And Get Back To The Subject Please.....BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE DIFFERENT.

ColdBlooded
05-14-09, 07:05 PM
That's where I'm being taught incorrectly. Where I work at you don't stay Lance for more than 9 months after picking up PFC unless you get NJPd. In the Grunt's field obviously It is different. See I have always gotten along with people outside the Marine Corps, I worked for AllState and made good money until I had slutty good for nothing take me down the shi*ter. That's when I joined the Marine Corps. Now that I'm in the Corps, it's hard for me to leave my aggressive sales "cocky" bussines man character aside. I tell all my friends back home as to how hard it is to see these people who have a stick in their ass try and **** other people up just because they love the power trip and just stand there watching this. Now don't get me wrong, I get along with alot of people here but It's just not the same as the civi world that I'm used too. I guess having that Marine mentallity takes time to sculpt and get used too. As for everyone else, I really didn't mean to provoke or insult you. As a matter a fact, my name is PFC Ojeda, Andres M and e-mail me or give me a call on my Vonage phone which is (936) 647-4749 and I'll throw us a round of your choice. Honest and sincere appologies.

FistFu68
05-14-09, 07:41 PM
:evilgrin: So when You Marines go do your Recon thingy whats it gonna be new name Marsoc or Superfuc still gonna be Swift Silent Deadly,get this Cluster FUC moving~~~~~~:evilgrin: :iwo:

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 07:47 PM
Now that I'm in the Corps, it's hard for me to leave my aggressive sales "cocky" bussines man character aside.

Try harder... SF:usmc:

SSgt McCord
05-14-09, 09:37 PM
Devil Dogs, here is what I can tell you.

Force Recon Marines, do train in small units and do take orders from CMC. They do get to train alot and do alot of real world missions. They are some locked on guys, and usually are in small Plts. They do all the high speed and low draw shooting schools, and stuff like that. They will delpoy on a MEU to do missions such as raiding oil platforms, or being a QRF for an US Embassy that has been attacked and needs to be evacuated.

MARSOC Marines, are under SOCOM, and if you look up their info its unconv. warfare. That means they will train small units and do get the opportunity to go to languange schools, ect. They may be working in plain cloths as a civilian due to the fact the host country may not want other military in their country and MARSOC guys may be there as diplomatic personal.

Bottom Line, if I was you TRAIN REALLY REALLY HARD, and if you want to live the Marine life then go Force Recon, if you want to live a life that is civilian/Marine then go MARSOC. Just remember no matter what you do, you are a MARINE!!

Good luck with your choice and I hope this helps.

S/F
SSgt McCord

SSgt McCord
05-14-09, 09:39 PM
ONE MORE THING!!!

START ACTING LIKE MARINES AND NOT LITTLE CRY BABIES, RESPECT THE RANK ABOUT YOU!! YOU ARE MARINES ACT LIKE IT!!!!!

SSgt McCord

JWDevilDog
05-16-09, 05:39 AM
I guess having that Marine mentallity takes time to sculpt and get used too.

First off, Marine, that is what boot camp is for. Three months teaches you how to behave as a Marine. You may not have had any LCpl. Drill Instructors that you had to call "sir," but that doesn't mean the discipline you should have received from boot camp can just instantly vanish once you graduate. I know my DIs taught me to respect rank, regardless of the rank, if they are above me. Boot camp is designed to get nasty civilians in the Marine mentality.

Second, I don't recall myself or any other Marine asking for an excuse for your attitude. A simple "roger that, I'll do better" would have sufficed.