PDA

View Full Version : First Marine Week in Chicago

thedrifter
05-10-09, 09:53 AM
First Marine Week in Chicago
Posted By Blackfive

The United States Marine Corps launches its inaugural Marine Week when the city of Chicago opens its doors to the nearly 2,000 Marines who will participate in various community activities throughout the Chicagoland area.

Marines will work alongside Chicago citizens volunteering at food kitchens and community parks; sharing stories of service to their nation with local students; conducting musical performances at area landmarks; encouraging children and adults to become active through physical fitness challenges; and showcasing the Marine Corps' cutting-edge technology at venues such as Navy Pier and Arlington Park racetrack.

The above is the press release. What is this really about?
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I think it's about the Marines showing appreciation to a great community, and that great community showing appreciation for our US Marine Corps.
"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those b*****ds won't get away this time!" -CHESTY PULLER, USMC

Personally, I think the place to be will be Arlington Race Track on Sunday (Saturday looks to be interesting at Navy Pier, too). I "heard" that Marines will perform a raid on the race track facility. I'll be at some of these events, so if you're planning on attending, let me know.
"I want you boys to hurry up and whip these Germans so we can get out to the Pacific to kick the s**t out of the purple-****ing Japanese, before the Godda**ed MARINES get all the credit!" - Lt General George Patton, US Army 1945

Marine Week Schedule of Events

Monday - May 11
o Marines volunteer to restore Levin Park (8:00 A.M.)
o Marine Week Dedication Ceremony at Daley Plaza (10:30 A.M.)
o Will feature the 29 Palms Marine Band and Color Guard, Brigadier General Melvin G. Spiese (Chicago native) and a pinning ceremony to honor Marine families and veterans

Tuesday - May 12
o Marines volunteer to restore Riis Park (8:00 A.M.)
o Performance by the Marine Corps Battle Colors Detachment, featuring the Silent Drill Platoon and Drum and Bugle Corps at Oak Park and River Forest High School Stadium (6:00 P.M.)

Wednesday - May 13
o Marines volunteer at Cornerstone Community Outreach Center (8:00 A.M.)
o Performances by the Marine Corps Battle Colors Detachment, featuring the Silent Drill Platoon and Drum and Bugle Corps at Soldier Field (3:00 P.M. & 7:00 P.M.)

Thursday - May 14
o Marines volunteer with Habitat for Humanity (Details forthcoming)

Friday - May 15
o Marines at Navy Pier (10:00 A.M. - 10:00 P.M.)
o Will feature robotics, technology and vehicle displays, Martial Arts and Combat Fitness demonstrations, and the 29 Palms Marine Band
o Marines at Arlington Park racetrack (All Day)
o Will feature aviation, technology and vehicle displays

Saturday - May 16
o Marines at Navy Pier (10:00 A.M. - 10:00 P.M.)

o Will feature robotics, technology and vehicle displays, Martial Arts and Combat Fitness demonstrations, and the 29 Palms Marine Band

o Marine Band Concert at Navy Pier, Skyline Stage (8:00 P.M.)
o Will feature aviation, technology and vehicle displays

Sunday - May 17
o Will feature technology and vehicle displays, performances by the Marine Corps Battle Colors Detachment, featuring the Silent Drill Platoon and Drum and Bugle Corps and Marine Corps Aircraft Demonstrations (12:00 P.M. - 6:00 P.M.)

o Marines at Navy Pier (All Day)
o Will feature robotics, technology and vehicle displays, Martial Arts and Combat Fitness demonstrations, and the 29 Palms Marine Band at Skyline Stage (3:00 P.M)

Ellie