PDA

View Full Version : Lat moving after 2 years?

BR34
05-10-09, 08:48 AM
I've heard it mentioned countless times. Everyone says it's possible, but how plausible is it? Does it ever actually happen, or do Marines usually have to wait till reenlistment to lat move? I don't personally know any Marines that lat moved after 2.

USMC Mukhabarat
05-12-09, 12:24 PM
As a recruiter in a lat-move only MOS (0211 Counterintelligence) you are correct that it is possible to lat-move with only 2 years in with a waiver from the monitors at HQMC.

However, in the 7 years I've been in this MOS I have never seen anyone do it. I've had a few Marines contact me about lat-moving early but following their initial screening I have instructed them to wait until they hit their 3 year mark and then come back.

Our reason for doing this is that we want (and often expect) our lat-move applicants to have a good understanding of the Marine Corps mission and how the Corps functions prior to applying for our MOS. Maturity (both personal and professional) is also often an issue for Marines attempting to lat-move with such little time in service.

The bottom line is that it would take an extraordinary Marine under extraordinary circumstances for us to accept him with only 2 years in service. 99% of the time, the added time in the Marine's initial MOS will benefit him/her as well.

I can't speak for other any of the other MOS's though.

SSgt Ramsey
05-12-09, 01:53 PM
It would definitely be the exception vice the rule in executing a Latmove that early...it's normally only used at the Marine's natural FTAP point for that FY.

That would be considered a "out-year" Latmove/Reenlistment and you just dont' see that that often...I don't remember one in 7 years as a Career Planner (not to say it didn't happen Corps wide, just not known to me).

HQMC rarely breaks out year reenlistment/latmove criteria....just like they normally will not break ECFC's (Enlisted Career Force Control's) for any reason....