PDA

View Full Version : Taking Care of Feet

cammedNslammed
05-08-09, 11:30 PM
Ive been having some minor issues with my right heel lately. The doc recomended that i wear orthapedic heel inserts b/c my achilles tendon is too tight. How will this affect me in bootcamp? Will i have to suck it up or is there a chance that i could have some issued to me while im there?

Also, my main concern is what are some tips to taking care of your feet in bootcamp? Obviously keeping them clean is a good thing, but what other things can i do to keep them from being a problem on the island.

Poolee Johnson

NoRemorse
05-09-09, 12:45 AM
If your boots or go-fasters are uncomfortable then make sure you open your c-target and tell your drill instructor. When they tell you to wear certain socks, wear certain socks. Make sure those socks get run through the laundry after you use them as well. Also make sure to keep your nails well trimmed.

If your achilles tendon is tight, then hydrate and stretch. If it's tight then you've either injured it or some other part of that leg or you have an underlying issue. The issues could be congenital or they could come about from bad training practices.

Not stretching, wearing shoes that are too tight or sneakers that have too much support or provide heel lift will give you tonic muscles (constantly contracted) which could pull on your achilles.

I'm going to guess that you've either been PTing too hard and not stretching/hydrating enough, or are wearing sneakers that have a massive heel. Stop all of that and correct the problem unless the doc says its congenital.

cammedNslammed
05-09-09, 10:09 AM
Id say i was PTing too hard when i first signed up 2.5 months ago but have definitely cut back quite a bit. I wear Asics? when i run so im not sure if they are the problem. Im stretching my heel on an incline box around 3x a day, and i also do full body stretches in the morning and at night. I try to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day, more if i work out obviously. My biggest concern i guess is whats causing my heel to hurt. Dont know if I mentioned or not but my left foot hasnt given me one problem yet.

Capital M
05-09-09, 12:06 PM
Stretch Stretch Stretch. PFC No Remorse couldn't have said it better,

That means stretching at any chance you get.When your watching tv, before and after you workout, before you go to bed, after you wake up.. Stretch all the muscles in your leg, Calf, Hamstring, Achilles Tendon, quads, ankle rolls

I used to wear orthodics (custom inserts), but with stretching and correct running form, I've weaned myself off them.

cammedNslammed
05-09-09, 01:00 PM
Thats what ive been trying to do more and more! Guess ill keep stretching and pushing in hopes to get the kinks worked out before i take the 45 min ride to parris island

NoRemorse
05-09-09, 01:27 PM
Sounds like you're not hydrating enough too. 6 glasses is under the minimum for most body types and weights. You can count other stuff that has water in it but water's the good stuff.

Asics are pretty good and I don't believe they jack up your posterior chain alignment like Nike Shox or other terrible ideas like that. Some of these go fasters make it look like you're wearing heels.

Soak that foat, take warm to hot baths or showers, rest it a bit and try to find someone who can evaluate your form. Also, you might want to look into seeing an orthopedist or a chiropractor. Not a regular chiropractor, I'm talking about one of those who can use ART and Graston and not just stim pads and adjustments. You might have something else jacked up along the chain or bone spurs in your heels.

Also, cut the sodium and watch what you eat.

cammedNslammed
05-09-09, 01:45 PM
Will do, Thanx Sir!!

Sounds like you're not hydrating enough too. 6 glasses is under the minimum for most body types and weights. You can count other stuff that has water in it but water's the good stuff.

Asics are pretty good and I don't believe they jack up your posterior chain alignment like Nike Shox or other terrible ideas like that. Some of these go fasters make it look like you're wearing heels.

Soak that foat, take warm to hot baths or showers, rest it a bit and try to find someone who can evaluate your form. Also, you might want to look into seeing an orthopedist or a chiropractor. Not a regular chiropractor, I'm talking about one of those who can use ART and Graston and not just stim pads and adjustments. You might have something else jacked up along the chain or bone spurs in your heels.

Also, cut the sodium and watch what you eat.

Old Marine
05-09-09, 02:48 PM
Have your bunk mate clean the toe jam daily.

SlingerDun
05-09-09, 03:47 PM
The doc recomended that i wear orthapedic heel inserts b/c my achilles tendon is too tightThats all he said?

Due to the location of the achilles and the amount of tension it's forced to pull i would help it out by stretching my back, hips, stomach, quads and hams leaving the lower leg out of it until the pain subsides and then some.

Meanhwile the muscles above are lengthening to relieve some of the load on the achilles. Thats what i would do and it's how i healed "up" from an acute episode of unilateral plantar fasciitis while still bearing a heavy work load. Oh, and i quit hiking for monthshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

I wouldn't stretch much on the those calves for quite awhile even though they will eventually give in to avoid further injury, and lengthen. Abscence of pain is not a great indicater of healed tendons or ligaments.

Its muscle thats contracted, tightening the tendon attachments.

Tendonous tissue does not contract unless you cut it out and lay it in the sun.

And tendon doesn't stretch much at all before tearing. The healthy tendon only reacts and goes along with a contracting or expanding muscle belly. If you're stretching the muscle you're pulling on the damaged tendon, it's that simple.

--->Dave

cammedNslammed
05-09-09, 09:22 PM
No he did say more. Something along the lines of, you have achilles tendonitis. Your achilles tendon is too tight. You need to stretch it on an incline box a minimum of 3x a day and wear a heel cup at all times. Also he said that it was inflamed around where the tendon meets the heel. He cleared me to run twice a week, but said that if the pain started to quit and get off my foot.

Thats all he said?

Due to the location of the achilles and the amount of tension it's forced to pull i would help it out by stretching my back, hips, stomach, quads and hams leaving the lower leg out of it until the pain subsides and then some.

Meanhwile the muscles above are lengthening to relieve some of the load on the achilles. Thats what i would do and it's how i healed "up" from an acute episode of unilateral plantar fasciitis while still bearing a heavy work load. Oh, and i quit hiking for monthshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

I wouldn't stretch much on the those calves for quite awhile even though they will eventually give in to avoid further injury, and lengthen. Abscence of pain is not a great indicater of healed tendons or ligaments.

Its muscle thats contracted, tightening the tendon attachments.

Tendonous tissue does not contract unless you cut it out and lay it in the sun.

And tendon doesn't stretch much at all before tearing. The healthy tendon only reacts and goes along with a contracting or expanding muscle belly. If you're stretching the muscle you're pulling on the damaged tendon, it's that simple.

--->Dave

Lopez561
05-09-09, 09:43 PM
While we're on the subject..

My recruiter told me that recruits could get sole inserts mailed to you at boot camp. I'm not sure if I'd need them but is it allowed? Or are the drill instructors gonna rip me apart if I got them?

Twitchell
05-10-09, 12:38 PM
Id say i was PTing too hard when i first signed up 2.5 months ago but have definitely cut back quite a bit. I wear Asics? when i run so im not sure if they are the problem. Im stretching my heel on an incline box around 3x a day, and i also do full body stretches in the morning and at night. I try to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day, more if i work out obviously. My biggest concern i guess is whats causing my heel to hurt. Dont know if I mentioned or not but my left foot hasnt given me one problem yet.

If the previous suggestions don't help, maybe look into getting a different pair of shoes. Everyone I know swore by Asics. I got some, and I had all kinds of problems with my calves. So maybe look into that.

Another thing as well. I don't know how long it is before you ship out, but if your feet are injured, take a week or two off AND LET THEM HEAL. It's better to go to boot a little out of shape, then broken. Good luck!

SlingerDun
05-10-09, 02:04 PM
....you have achilles tendonitis..... Also he said that it was inflamed around where the tendon meets the heel...IC, so you think its a good idea to pull on that tendon.

sec9
05-10-09, 04:07 PM
I had some issues with my feet toward the end of boot camp, probably stress fractures that came about after the humps/crucible. Make sure your feet are good to go because you will be using them A LOT in boot camp and it will take a toll on them. Get the right size boots, change your socks daily, buy some boot powder. You want to avoid medical as much as possible unless you really need it, especially for feet problems. If they find a fracture or something guess what your going to MRP.

cammedNslammed
05-11-09, 10:09 AM
IC, so you think its a good idea to pull on that tendon.

ive had 3 seperate doctors tell me to do the stretching so i assume its the right thing to do.

SlingerDun
05-11-09, 03:44 PM
Ive been having some minor issues with my right heel lately.... Poolee JohnsonSo you pow wow'ed with three MD's for a diagnosis and treatment? hehehe who the hell do i look like kid, Joe Neckbonehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

I work with Lameness PHD's on a steady basis and legs every God Damn day! tug on that damaged tendon before its had a chance to heal and it will prolong recovery and encourage scar tissue