PDA

View Full Version : Why do movies choose to have Army instead of Marines?

ColdBlooded
05-07-09, 06:37 PM
My question to you is "Why in the hell do producers want army instead of Marines in their movies?" I know the Army has more money to promote themselfs more, The Day the Earth Stood Still for instance. Wouldn't people like to see Marines being their psycho selfs trying to save the world from the giant monsters in New York City like in Cloverville? Once in a blue moon we have a short appearance like in Max Payne, the main criminal who of course had to be a Marine. Tell me your opinion.

jetdawgg
05-07-09, 06:49 PM
My question to you is "Why in the hell do producers want army instead of Marines in their movies?" I know the Army has more money to promote themselfs more, The Day the Earth Stood Still for instance. Wouldn't people like to see Marines being their psycho selfs trying to save the world from the giant monsters in New York City like in Cloverville? Once in a blue moon we have a short appearance like in Max Payne, the main criminal who of course had to be a Marine. Tell me your opinion.

I think for two reasons:

Most Americans think that Marines and the Army are the same

Most Americans don't really want to see how psycho we really are

PaidinBlood
05-07-09, 07:04 PM
because it is easier for a civilian to play a SOLDIER!

ameriken
05-07-09, 07:33 PM
Most Americans don't really want to see how psycho we really are:D

Marine84
05-07-09, 07:36 PM
Most Americans don't really want to see how psycho we really are

I know that's right! LOL!

And the ones that have seen it, don't talk about it.

ColdBlooded
05-07-09, 08:28 PM
It's funny how alot of the times we end up being bad guys in the movies but in the end is not that we're bad It's just that the civilian world can't handle us when we try to come back in it.

MLMonk
05-07-09, 08:38 PM
because it is easier for a civilian to play a SOLDIER!

Because the army are just civilians in uniform :marine:

thewookie
05-07-09, 09:16 PM
We got better things to do.:mad:

echo3oscar1833
05-07-09, 09:18 PM
Cause were to damn crazy. Mothers of America would be in a uproar if they knew have the **** the Marine Corps was :marine:

SgtThrasher
05-07-09, 09:38 PM
Because the army are just civilians in uniform :marine:

Right on!:thumbup:

SlingerDun
05-07-09, 09:39 PM
Oh but according to Hollywood; Marines attached to vessels and MEU's are readily deployed well into the future of space exploration securing colonies and cleaving mutant skulls.

In the movie, Doom (2005) they called Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson ...Sarge. But in the first Doom book (which i read in '95 :nerd:) The main character and first person video game shooter was....Corporal Flynn "Fly" Taggart a member of Fox Company, Fifteenth Light Drop Regiment, United States Marine Corps. His serial number is ___ __ _____.

He was raised in a Catholic school, and while not overtly religious, believes in and respects the existence of God. He has great mechanical skill, having built a car from spare parts and scrap in his youth, and while not college educated, has considerable street smarts.
Initially to be court-martialled for striking a superior officer, Fly is one of the few people in a position to do anything when Fox is all but wiped out on Phobos....:marine:

NoRemorse
05-07-09, 10:14 PM
Picking up on Slinger's post, we're always deployed to outer space where there's some truly heinous sh!t that needs to get its skull stomped in.

Did you really think they'd send the army in against the xeno's in Alien?

crank S4
05-08-09, 02:40 AM
This is going to make me sound like a nerd, but Master Chief from Halo is a Marine, and he' probably the most badass character in any video game or movie.

JWDevilDog
05-08-09, 03:09 AM
I think it's because the Marine Corps is something better than most, and putting it in movies will not do it justice. It will make it seem trivial and sh*tty. Thus the reason for using the army.

If they are already like that, then putting them in movies won't do a damn thing to change peoples' perceptions of it. :bunny:

NoRemorse
05-08-09, 10:40 AM
I think it's because the Marine Corps is something better than most, and putting it in movies will not do it justice. It will make it seem trivial and sh*tty. Thus the reason for using the army.

If they are already like that, then putting them in movies won't do a damn thing to change peoples' perceptions of it. :bunny:

I'm sure the stars would be mad if we were in the movie anyway... we always steal the show. Belleau Wood, espionage activity in the European theater during WW2, the entire Pacific campaign, Korea, the list goes on.

boomer56328
05-08-09, 10:51 AM
When I saw Max Payne I b***hed to my Marine buddy and asked him why all Marines in movies are physco nut case killers. His response was "Because we are physco nut case killers." Made me laugh and realize we just need to be proud of what we are!

Integrity57
05-08-09, 11:53 AM
Seriously there are few young actors out there today that I would like to see portray a Marine. Black Hawk Down was done fairly well, even though they didn't have any actors portraying the SEALs that were involved in that battle, but again that was an Army flick. Hell the only decent movie that does the SEALs any justice was Tears of the Sun. I've noticed that since I joined the military I can't watch "War" movies because I just see everything they do wrong from the way they wear collar devices to the improper use of jargon.

boomer56328
05-08-09, 11:56 AM
I'm the same way. The Marine Corps ruined a lot of movies for me.

FistFu68
05-08-09, 03:56 PM
:evilgrin: John Wayne Bobbit did a great job after they sewed his Gun bac on :D :iwo:

Old Marine
05-08-09, 05:10 PM
If they made a movie about the real Marine Corps, they would have to shut down Hollywood and there would be no need for Marine Recruiters.

ColdBlooded
05-09-09, 02:12 AM
Hollywood obviously hates our asses. By makin the Bourne Identity and having Jason Bourne kick our asses while on MSG duty really urked the sh*t outta me. :mad:

ColdBlooded
05-09-09, 02:13 AM
But then again, they were just MotherFu**ing punk ass civilian Bi**hes :)

MLMonk
05-10-09, 12:07 AM
They had Marines fighting with the army in War of the Worlds about midway of the movie when the tanks drove up the hill to fight the tripods.