PDA

View Full Version : Metal Hardware

Soon2be03
05-07-09, 02:14 PM
Hello Marines,
Well, in order to ask my question, I have to give a little story so it makes sense. I DEP'ed in to the USMC in May of 2008, I signed a contract for Recon also known as the UZ program. I was set to ship on 20090105, however, the day before my ship date, I shattered my leg. I ended up having two plates and 9 screws placed in my tibia and fibula. It was a two bone break. I also ended up getting a skin graft on my inner-ankle. I was wondering if any of you know what the policy is for hardware and if you know any other Marines with hardware, especially in the grunt side of the Corps. I belive that God will guide me where He wants me and I appreciate any feedback.

God Bless

Cody

thewookie
05-07-09, 02:31 PM
Hello Marines,
Well, in order to ask my question, I have to give a little story so it makes sense. I DEP'ed in to the USMC in May of 2008, I signed a contract for Recon also known as the UZ program. I was set to ship on 20090105, however, the day before my ship date, I shattered my leg. I ended up having two plates and 9 screws placed in my tibia and fibula. It was a two bone break. I also ended up getting a skin graft on my inner-ankle. I was wondering if any of you know what the policy is for hardware and if you know any other Marines with hardware, especially in the grunt side of the Corps. I belive that God will guide me where He wants me and I appreciate any feedback.

God Bless

Cody

Talk to a recruiter.

Guessing - I would think if you can still pass a physical and then pass a pft then you should be fine with a little medical clearance. Marines get hurt, grunts and the rest, and they don't just send them home packing. They fix them, rehab them, and then send them back out to kill. So why you wouldn't be able to join, assuming you are healthy with a fixed up knee, is beyond me.

Good luck, stay motivated, talk to a recruiter.

Hologram
05-07-09, 02:44 PM
You'll probably run into some obstacles at MEPS because of it, but like the sergeant said, if you're good to go they'll probably give you the stamp of approval. Just don't overdo it when you're rehabilitating because it could end up making your rehab even longer and delaying your entrance into my beloved Corps.

jcarter73
05-07-09, 02:51 PM
delaying your entrance into my beloved Corps.
Hey there Hologram... it's "Our Beloved Corps"...

Hologram
05-07-09, 03:13 PM
Hey there Hologram... it's "Our Beloved Corps"...
Of course Corporal. What was I thinking?

Phantom Blooper
05-07-09, 04:40 PM
Metal Hardware

Call Lowes...Home Depot...or a scrap yard!

And if they can't help you call your recruiter to find out your options!

If you just shattered your leg a few months ago ...it can't possibly be healed enough for the rigors of boot camp or the fleet.

Have you been going to physical therapy?

Are you still under a sawbones care?

Did you have an accident i.e. motor vehicle and get hurt?

If so what are or were the ramifications of that?

If the latter is the case you will need waivers for medical and if the accident was vehicular and you were at fault....:evilgrin:

Soon2be03
05-08-09, 07:01 PM
I have talked to my recruiter, he said that I would have to go to the head navy doc and have him clear me. However, my recruiter also said that there isn't a standard, it is dealt with on a case by case basis. I am in rehabilitation and have just started getting up on my feet and walking around and riding bicycles. Phantom Blooper, I injured myself on a dirtbike on a closed circuit course, so there are no legal issues or penalties. My doc said I will most likely be at 100% by the end of the year, but like I said, I'm trusting in the good Lord to guide me, not him.

BR34
05-08-09, 08:06 PM
I had my ankle crushed by a tour bus when I was 16 (motorcycle accident). I've got 4" screws in my ankle right now to show for it. Didn't stop me from joining.

Old Marine
05-08-09, 08:35 PM
Didn't anyone ever tell your about the dangers of riding a motorcycle.

If you do make it into the Corps, you should visit the Naval Hospital in San Diego and see all the young men who have their legs in traction, then ask the Corpman if they were injured in Iraq. You will find that 95% of them were on two wheels.

Soon2be03
05-11-09, 12:05 AM
I do realize that dirtbikes are extremely dangerous, I have been riding now for many years and have made the decision not to get back on two wheels. Thank you for the replies gentlemen.