PDA

View Full Version : My plan for the Marines

Strength
05-07-09, 10:53 AM
Right now I am attending a 4 year university. With the semester ending I decided to go to Marine Bootcamp during the summer, then follow that with MCT and INTEL school.

Then after INTEL school I was wanting to come back to my university at the start of the spring semester and continue working for my degree, while being enlisted in the Marine Reserve.

When I first approached my recruiter I told him my main concern was if I could continue school and he said I could and proposed a few ways to make it possible.

This is the plan I chose and I was wondering if anyone could clarify if this is something that is very possible if I work hard enough? I am a little worried that following INTEL school they will send me to where they want to send me and I will have no say in it.

The unit I am supposed to be in resides not far from my school and I was wanting to do the whole 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, type deal.

Is all of this possible or was my recruiter just trying to get my sig on a contract? Much thanks to any helpful information.

Phantom Blooper
05-07-09, 11:05 AM
I am a little worried that following INTEL school they will send me to where they want to send me and I will have no say in it.

Reserve units are activated left and right.

There is NO guarantee that you will not be activated with your reserve unit.

You plan is good...but it has a few flaws in it.

Your recruiter cannot guarantee something that is months down the road....

Also the only guarantee that the recruiter can give you is.... leaving for boot camp on a ship date and your MOS providing that it is in writing.

What are his proposals?:evilgrin:

Strength
05-07-09, 12:59 PM
Reserve units are activated left and right.

There is NO guarantee that you will not be activated with your reserve unit.

You plan is good...but it has a few flaws in it.

Your recruiter cannot guarantee something that is months down the road....

Also the only guarantee that the recruiter can give you is.... leaving for boot camp on a ship date and your MOS providing that it is in writing.

What are his proposals?:evilgrin:

He said some other options I had were just go to boot camp during summer then from there on out just go to my training for my MOS in the future summers while staying in school in the fall/spring. That was my first plan, but I was unable to do INTEL if I did that so I made that sacrifice.

When they call a reserve unit into duty, what is usually the time length of notice that they give?

Wyoming
05-07-09, 02:04 PM
Finish university and go the officer route!

.. or just get fat like a bunch of poolees around here and pizz off the great opportunity.

mbrazil
05-07-09, 06:10 PM
Contact the reserve unit you will be stationed with and ask them when theyre up for deployment.