PDA

View Full Version : Poolie Son wants Recon

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 09:12 AM
Good morning. My son has been in DEP since June 2008 and will leave for boot camp June 15, 2009. All along his intention (at least what he told me) was to choose aircraft mechanics as his MOS. Now, six weeks before he leaves, he wants to change it to infantry because he thinks that will lead to recon. He has an appointment with the area head recruiter, who is new to our area and is a career recruiter, this afternoon but he doesn't want me to go with him. I have told him that whatever he chooses I will support his decision. My concern is that he thinks this is the best way to get to recon and I'm not sure that it is. He is also drawn by the $7,000 sign on bonus they have promised him.

NoRemorse
05-06-09, 09:21 AM
Good morning, ma'am.

He isn't promised 7k, if he wants the bonus then he'll have to make it through Boot while maxing out swim qual and the PFT/CFT. Then he'll have to go through ITB, get picked up for BRC, and make it through there before even getting a whiff of bonus. More knowledgeable Marines will correct me if I'm missing anything or giving you bad scoop.

As for the path to Recon, there are a multitude of threads on here and in the Poolee forums that either he or you can go through. Some recommend that he get to the fleet and get a deployment or two under his belt before trying for Recon. Others might tell for him to shoot for it at Boot and SOI.

If anything, make sure he's a really strong swimmer and then google his desired MOS field.

As an aside, did he tell you why he doesn't want you to come? I would have loved for my parents to come with me. I could have talked over the benefits and disadvantages and they could have directed any questions to the recruiter and helped me make plans.

jcarter73
05-06-09, 09:35 AM
Right on NoRemorse... the Bonus is only paid upon graduation from Basic Recon Course (BRC) and obtaining the PMOS of 0321. Ma'am, not saying your son is not motivated enough or physically capable enough, but everyone that reports to BRC thinks they are going to make it... the truth is that more than 50% drop from BRC.

It would be easier for your son to get picked up for the Recon Indoc, if he went in as an 03xx... going in as an Airwinger, he stands little chance of ever making it over to Recon. The Aircraft MOS is going to have him go through the MCT track not SOI, so if he was to pass the Recon Indoc when in the fleet, he would need to go back and go through SOI to gain the PMOS of 0311 then on to BRC for his 0321.

If they can switch his MOS to that of an 03xx then he'll at least be in the right field to get a chance for a BRC try-out.

As NoRemorse stated... he'll need to shine at Swim Qual, Needs to Qualify Expert on the Rifle Range, and will need a high First Class PFT. Upper body strength is a key elimination factor at BRC... Pull ups being the measuring tool... He'll need to be able to get 20 good dead hangs, as most of the class will be well over the 20 mark even over the 30 mark.

My Nephew just finished BRC in February... they started with a class of 70 and graduated 30 Marines and 2 Navy Corpsman. So with the UZ contract option he would be granted a seat at BRC... the rest would be up to him and his physical and mental ability.

Best of luck to him in whatever he selects...

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the response noremorse. Even though he's been planning this for a year I still feel kind of new and don't understand all of the initials but I will look it all up!!

The 7K is not a make it or break it thing for him. It's attractive but I don't think that is why he changed his mind. I can't say that I'm surprised that he changed his mind. I thought all along that he might be just telling me what I wanted to hear so that I wouldn't bug him about it. I know it's his decision but as a mom I probably would have tried to talk him out of infantry. He knows me well!!!

As far as why he doesn't want me to go with him, he just turned 18 and thinks he can do everything on his own now!!! My husband and I have been a big part of the poolie functions since he joined, cooking for them or helping in any way that we can. Because of that we know all of the recruiters and have asked tons of questions. He has a lot of trust and admiration for the recruiters so he thinks that he will be fine without me. I think he partly wants to make this decision on his own without help from Mom, and maybe he has questions to ask that he doesn't want me to have the answers to. He knows how much I will worry!!!

NoRemorse
05-06-09, 09:50 AM
In that case, ma'am, make sure your writing hand has plenty of endurance. Letters are a lifeline to the outside world and he'll need that helping hand during Boot, whether or not he thinks so or will admit to it now.

No man is an island, and no Marine is alone.

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 09:56 AM
Ok, so let me see if I understand. If he goes in with aircraft mechanics mos he has little chance of recon. If he goes in infantry he still has a lot to do before he can try for recon??? Is infantry the best option for him if recon is what he really wants? What can he do with that when he gets out?

He does have the upper body strength, he can already do 16 or 17 pull ups and he hasn't even gone through boot camp yet. He can swim but he has never done it on a regular basis so that could be an issue. I know that he is capable but it just isn't something that he has worked on. His asvab score was 94 and he has the ability to be a straight A student, although he isn't. I think he will do fine on the rifle range. We are hunters, I know it's a lot different but he is a good shot.

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 10:03 AM
I am very prepared to begin writing letters as soon as he leaves, maybe before!!! I have a lot of family and we will all be writing him so he will have lots of mail.

In the last six months or so the ego has grown so much!! He thinks that he knows everything and if I don't agree with him he gets mad. Do you know if that is common before they leave for boot camp? I hope that boot camp tones that down a little bit. Our relationship is a little strained right now so that's also part of the reason he doesn't want me there.

jcarter73
05-06-09, 10:08 AM
Ma'am... if he asks the Recruiter for the UZ option 03xx contract he WILL get a seat at BRC after finishing Boot Camp with an Expert Rifle Qual, CWS2 Swim Qual, and First Class PFT. Then on to SOI, where he will need to also do well with Land Navigation, and have no issues with the long humps (forced marches with heavy pack). Recon Marines "Ruck-Run" as part of their weekly Fleet life...which is actual distance running with a 50-60 pound pack.

Swimming is a huge part of BRC, a lot of the class drops come from the swimming... distance swims... open ocean swims, 50 meter underwater swims... treading water with gear on or weights in hand... it's hardcore swimming for sure. Keep in mind the MOS is not just Reconnaissance... it's Amphibious Reconnaissance.

Infantry is his only option if he really wants to be a Recon Marine.

NoRemorse
05-06-09, 10:09 AM
As the Corporal stated, ma'am, it's just a heck of a lot harder moving from a non-Infantry MOS. There are a lot of factors to consider, like whether or not a command will release an exemplary Marine from their unit to try for the Indoc.

As for the best option? Results will vary. It's a tough road to take but you can see why when you consider the end result.

If he wants Recon that badly then he should focus on his physical fitness and his ability to swim. Get him swimming now if he wants it that badly. He'll need to pound through miles of water and have lungs like a whale. For him to get to BRC and fail he'd either have to break physically or mentally.

As for his hunting translating to the rifle range, that would depend upon his current form and how quickly he can forget that and do exactly as he's told.

Like I said before, there are more knowledgeable Marines on this site than I and there are other threads you can search through. Going through them should give you a clearer picture of what your son will be willingly and lovingly subjecting himself to.

jcarter73
05-06-09, 10:10 AM
Ma'am the ego is normal... my Nephew was the same way. When he returns from Boot Camp you will see a dramatic change in him.

NoRemorse
05-06-09, 10:12 AM
I am very prepared to begin writing letters as soon as he leaves, maybe before!!! I have a lot of family and we will all be writing him so he will have lots of mail.

In the last six months or so the ego has grown so much!! He thinks that he knows everything and if I don't agree with him he gets mad. Do you know if that is common before they leave for boot camp? I hope that boot camp tones that down a little bit. Our relationship is a little strained right now so that's also part of the reason he doesn't want me there.

He'll learn real quick to stow that ego away, ma'am. If not, the Drill Instructors will stow it for him until he's ready to earn himself a real air of arrogance.

A few months away should give him some of that quiet stoicism that Marines are known for. We look stunning, we're the best, everybody knows it, but we can put our heads down and get the job done without so much as a pat on the back when we're done.

Good work done well is its own reward.

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 10:21 AM
Thank you both so much for all of the info and encouragement. I really feel better. I have asked him to call me before his meeting so I can tell him what y'all told me and he can go in prepared!!!

NoRemorse
05-06-09, 10:29 AM
If he's looking to do it on his own then I'd recommend he at least troll the website on his own or you email the link to this thread if at all possible. He's a big boy now, right?:D

Semper Fi:flag:

Best of luck to your sons in their endeavours and to the rest of the family. If he's good enough to be our brother then we'll welcome him with open arms.

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 12:45 PM
Thanks again for the kind words. The more I talk to Marines and Marine families the more comfortable I am with his decision to become a Marine. I should be talking to him soon, his appointment with his recruiter is in a little over an hour. I'll tell him everything that I have learned.

LHMHMOM
05-07-09, 12:37 PM
Ok, my son asked a question that I thought I knew the answer to but he thinks something different than I do. Does he have to qualify as expert in swimming and rifle range in boot camp or after boot camp to go into recon? Should we get him with a swim coach now or will he be able to get what he needs in boot camp?

Thanks!!

NoRemorse
05-07-09, 12:42 PM
Good afternoon, ma'am. Your son has to qualify as an expert on the rifle range and request that he be allowed to try out for the highest level of swim qual during Boot.

If he's not a strong swimmer then he'll have more trouble going through higher levels in the pool; my advice would be to get him an instructor now and get him in the pool at least 3 times a week. It's great PT and great practice.

Whatever swimming coach you go with, make sure their top priority is to make your son is comfortable and relaxed in the pool. Being comfortable and relaxed in the pool translates into more effective training when it comes to actually practicing your swimming technique.

If he's tense in the water and unsure he'll have trouble floating and may get panicky if things don't go his way. The initial swim qual is easy enough; the gear he'll be wearing will provide buoyancy. Higher levels differ the amount of gear and the activities you need to perform on and under the water.

jcarter73
05-07-09, 12:46 PM
Ma'am, He needs to qualify Expert with the rifle at Boot Camp for Recon, He must also make CWS2 Swim Qual at Boot Camp. A swim coach wouldn't help all that much unless he has access to our combat gear... swimming in a pool in shorts is a little different than swimming with Kevlar Helmet, Flack Jacket, Pack, Rifle, Boots and Utes... as you can imagine. Not a bad idea to get comfortable in the pool though before hand... the key to success in the pool at Boot Camp and once he gets to the Fleet is to Relax... stress is the killer in the pool... tense up and it's all but over.

The CWSS (Combat Water Safety Swimmers) in the water with him won't let him drown, so pay attention to the instruction given before hand, then go for it.

LHMHMOM
05-07-09, 12:47 PM
Thank you so much. His recruiter rescheduled their meeting for Saturday so he hasn't made a final decision yet. If this is what he chooses then it's what I want for him so I want to make sure he is as prepared as he can be.

jcarter73
05-07-09, 12:49 PM
Ma'am just make sure he gets the 03xx UZ option for his contract... if he wants Recon it's the only way to ensure a seat at the Basic Recon Course after he finishes SOI.

LHMHMOM
05-07-09, 12:54 PM
Yes, I already told him about the UZ option. He will meet with the head recruiter on Satuday and then we are having a car wash to raise money for the parents group and for the poolies PT so I will be able to talk to the recruiter also. It's not what I would choose for him but if that's what he want's, I want to make sure it's what he gets!!

marinemom
05-07-09, 01:34 PM
Yes, I already told him about the UZ option. He will meet with the head recruiter on Satuday and then we are having a car wash to raise money for the parents group and for the poolies PT so I will be able to talk to the recruiter also. It's not what I would choose for him but if that's what he want's, I want to make sure it's what he gets!!

Ah yes, car washes and bake sales - remember them well (and stay away from your son if he has a hose).

You have gotten great information from the Corporal and other Marines. Now, speaking to you as a Marine mother, it is absolutely important that you get your questions answered by your son's recruiter, BUT do not attempt to push the recruiter towards your son's choice. He will be placed where he is of the best benefit to the Corps, no matter what you may want for him.

Infantry is the gateway to the area that he wants - but he must succeed there before he makes any MOS change. So, be certain that he is patient, work hard and always does his best at whatever assignment he gets.

Remember, once he walks across the Parade Deck, he is no longer yours solely. We share our sons with the best - the United States Marines.

DocGreek
05-07-09, 03:06 PM
LHMH....you want your son to be a RECON MARINE??? WELL...I'll be careful, here...are you aware of what a Marine's Primary Duty is? Do you have any knowledge of what the responsibilites of a RECON MARINE are? Have you been to a V.A. Hospital lately, and spoken with any active duty Marines? I apologize....I'm doing my BEST to hold back my personal opinion, about your family situation, and POSSIBLE innocence. My very best to you and your son...may GOD watch over him.....DOC

Rocky C
05-07-09, 03:33 PM
Marine Recon Mission In Iraq

Cpl. Jason L. Campbell pulled his Kevlar helmet off his head and struggled to get free of his body armor. Its tangle of ammunition pouches, ceramic plates, radios and grenades.

It’s not an uncommon load for an infantryman here in Iraq. But Campbell’s not an ordinary infantryman. He’s a Reconnaissance Marine and he’s performing a mission that just 10 years ago would have unthinkable in Iraq.

“I thought it would be more ‘snooping and pooping,’” said 21-year-old Campbell, from Twinsburg, Ohio. “I thought we’d be doing more traditional reconnaissance.”

The thing is, in Iraq, nothing is traditional. It’s a 4th Generation War – a guerilla war – where there are no front lines for Recon Marines to slip by. Terrain and the counterinsurgency mission don’t call for deep reconnaissance.

Marine reconnaissance is changing. Helmets and flak jacket were unheard of before Operation Iraqi Freedom. Duty in Marine Recon meant boonie covers, bulging rucksacks and long range foot patrols into the enemy’s back yard just a few years ago.

No longer. Recon Marines are wrapped in the same armor as every other Marine, mounted in humvees and firing heavy M-2 .50 caliber machine guns. The heart and soul of reconnaissance work has fundamentally shifted.

For good or ill, Marine Recon will never be the same.

Campbell, assigned to B Company, 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion, Regimental Combat Team 5, admitted this isn’t the sort of work he trained for when he completed Amphibious Reconnaissance School. In fact, he’s never performed a traditional reconnaissance mission in Iraq.

“The only time I did a traditional recon mission was at ARS,” or while deployed with a Marine Expeditionary Unit, he explained. “Not in combat. I’ve never gone out to do just reconnaissance.”

Still, there’s no shortage of work for Marines with specialized reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering skills. Just because Recon Marines aren’t lying in a hide, counting enemy troops doesn’t mean they’re out of a mission. In fact, they ran smack dab into the middle of what seems to be the definition counterinsurgency operations. Marines gather their own intelligence, coordinate and create targets and prosecute their own missions, with hard hits on specific targets.

“It used to be in reconnaissance, if you fired a shot, you failed your mission,” said Gunnery Sgt. Kenneth A. Westgate, a 35-year-old platoon sergeant for 3rd Platoon, B Company, from East Wareham, Mass. “Now, we’re expected to make contact. It’s not that we’ve lost a mission. We’ve gained more mission.

“We’re collecting, analyzing and prosecuting almost all at the platoon level,” Westgate said. “The mission we’re tasked with now is different.”

Some of what Recon Marines are doing in Iraq, Westgate said used to be traditionally left to Combined Anti-Armor Teams. They perform mounted vehicle patrols with heavy guns and grenade launchers. Westgate – who has 15 years as a Marine – said his early years in Recon never called for humvees.

“I was the guy 10 kilometers in trying to find a route for the humvees,” he said. “When I first started it was boonie covers and heavy rucks. Now it’s humvees and heavy machine guns. For the older guys, we’ve seen the change. But we’ve got a whole generation of Recon who thinks reconnaissance is humvees and flak jackets.”

Westgate isn’t saying that the Corps abandoned traditional reconnaissance, rather the mission has to adapt to stay relevant to the war Marines are fighting.

“The pace of warfare has changed,” Westagate said.

The nature of this war – the 4th Generation where insurgents do not openly confront Marines in classic force-on-force warfare – means the Corps is relying on the skills of Marines just like those in 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion.

“It’s still the same principles,” said Cpl. Brandon M. Stair, a 25-year-old from Utica, Ohio, assigned to B Company. “We’re still working in our teams, but moving more toward platoon operations. We’re still thinking out of the box. This is still a guerilla war.”

Snipers in Recon units are still making precise shots against insurgents, but gathering intelligence and packaging that information is happening at an arm’s distance instead of hundreds of meters through binoculars. Marines patrol villages – micro urban areas – talking with villagers, finding out what they know. Recon Marines are part beat cop, keeping the peace. They’re part investigator, putting together the puzzle and part SWAT, kicking down the door to snatch the bad guys.

That’s required Recon Marines to learn new skill sets. To be humvee-mobile, Marines need to learn humvee maintenance. Heavy guns once foreign to Recon teams are a now standard package. It makes them more lethal and more mobile, but requires more flexibility and ingenuity.

“We now have our own built-in fire support,” Westgate explained. “We have much more supply with us on the humvees instead of what we used to carry in our rucks. We can move longer distances quicker. The disadvantage is there is a greater logistics train and we’re sometimes restricted by terrain.”

Marines don’t feel they’re at a disadvantage as the taskings are forcing change either. They take the skills they have and apply them differently.

“For me, it’s seamless,” Campbell said. “This sort of mission is what I expected to do anyway. It could be a great advantage for us because we are a small unit and have the flexibility. We can still do reconnaissance and can act on it ourselves.”

The shift in the definition of reconnaissance from what was considered traditional to observing, gathering, processing and prosecuting their own missions has morphed Recon Marines into a unit that’s more independent, faster and deadlier.

“What we’ve done is put another tool in our toolbox,” Westgate said. “But we’ve also put another mission in our pack.”

LHMHMOM
05-07-09, 03:53 PM
No, DocGreek, recon is not what I would choose for my son. I would much prefer that he stick with his first choice of aircraft mechanics. But I think he has made up his mind that Recon is what he wants. If that is what he wants I have to accept it. It's in my nature to do whatever I can to help my children to excel at whatever it is they are doing. That is why I want to get him with a swim coach. But after reading your post, maybe I should just back off and see what happens?

My husband and I are very naive about the military. The only experience we have is this last year helping him prepare for boot camp and talking to the recruiters. I am very nervous about his decision to join but I am also very proud. We will be seeing the recruiters Saturday so I'll talk to them about what I should do but I would really appreciate any advice that y'all have to give.

LHMHMOM
05-07-09, 03:55 PM
Thanks marinemom. I feel like he already belongs to the Marines and not to me anymore. But it's not a bad feeling, it really feels pretty good right now. Let's see if I feel the same way six weeks from now when he leaves for boot camp!!!

Zulu 36
05-07-09, 06:35 PM
No, DocGreek, recon is not what I would choose for my son. I would much prefer that he stick with his first choice of aircraft mechanics. But I think he has made up his mind that Recon is what he wants. If that is what he wants I have to accept it. It's in my nature to do whatever I can to help my children to excel at whatever it is they are doing. That is why I want to get him with a swim coach. But after reading your post, maybe I should just back off and see what happens?

My husband and I are very naive about the military. The only experience we have is this last year helping him prepare for boot camp and talking to the recruiters. I am very nervous about his decision to join but I am also very proud. We will be seeing the recruiters Saturday so I'll talk to them about what I should do but I would really appreciate any advice that y'all have to give.

I think your son needs to get on this site for himself. However, he will find that many Marines here are not very receptive to poolees who "wanna be recon." The first step is to become a Marine and for many that is difficult enough. Our former recon guys are the most cynical as they have been there and done that.

If he goes aviation, he can't count on his command being excited for him when it comes to writing recommendations for recon. It costs a lot to train an aviation mechanic, not to mention the on-the-job training costs once he hits a fleet squadron. They just won't be very happy. They may forward the request, but it won't be enthusiastically.

Going recon from infantry is different. The command attitude is much more supportive and encouraging, although they still don't like to lose a good Marine, even to recon. However, probably 95% of recon types come from the infantry so the institutional culture is there.

If your son isn't a very strong swimmer and able to pass the PFT 1st class now, he should probably defer his recon aspirations until he can work up to the indoc after boot camp. But he should go infantry, not aviation, if he is serious about recon.

Regarding your naivete regarding the military, remember this: The Marine Corps exists to kill the enemies of the United States and destroy their things. In the process, Marines get hurt and sometimes die. That is the reality of the military. It is good if you understand and are OK with this, but it is more important for your son to be OK with it first.

Somebody has to do it and Marines have self-selected themselves as willing and able.

JWDevilDog
05-08-09, 03:48 AM
I am not recon, nor am I infanty, ma'am. But I can help out a bit too.

If he goes in on a UZ contract, as the Corporal said, he will have a seat in BRC after boot camp. If this is the case, he will need to have a Second Class Swim Qualification as well as a Rifle Expert while in boot camp.

If he goes to the Fleet as an infantry Marine, but not on the UZ contract, then he will still need Swim Qual 2, and Rifle Expert, but he can get those while in the Fleet, if time and training permits. In other words, he wouldn't have to get them while in boot camp.

So, in the end, it depends on his contract. UZ vs. regular 03xx contract.

Hope this helps, ma'am. Please give your son my best and wish him luck! Take care.

LHMHMOM
05-08-09, 08:31 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I have a lot of good information. I think I'll wait to do anything until I talk to the recruiters on Saturday. We have become very comfortable with all of the recruiters in this area because we spend time with them so I can talk to any or all of them. I really appreciate all of the responses from all of you Marines.

A Marine that I do business with told me about this site and I've been reading it on and off since my son signed almost a year ago. I feel like I get a lot more "real" information from all of you than anywhere else. Thank you all for your service and for the straight talk on this site. And thanks to those of you who said you would pray for my son. We will all need it in the months to come.

toddlerbud
05-08-09, 10:34 PM
Okay, I'm 12. My mother said she'll enlist me when i'm 17.. well.. i think thats what to do. :confused: I was wondering would i be able to sign up for anything that would help me and train me threw the years? Help, anyone?

NoRemorse
05-08-09, 10:39 PM
Okay, I'm 12. My mother said she'll enlist me when i'm 17.. well.. i think thats what to do. :confused: I was wondering would i be able to sign up for anything that would help me and train me threw the years? Help, anyone?

You need to profile up, read the stickies and follow the rules. Posting in this part of the forum, which is reserved for Marine parents, is highly inappropriate.

That and you should currently worry about going to school, doing well and being physically active, as well as not mentally impairing your parents (which kids are apt to do).

FutureRecon101
05-11-09, 08:51 AM
as many have said before ma'am, your son might really want to consider switching to an 03**, MOS. It will be alot easier to get into the BRC. Or really his best option would be to try and get a contract UZ, thats what I have right now, so i know that im gareented a shot. He also needs to run and swim, AT LEAST 3 times every week. tell him to try the "run, swim, run" program. run 2 miles, swim 1000m, then run 2 miles again. It has worked wonders for me.

Old Marine
05-11-09, 09:08 AM
First thing he needs to do is complete Boot Camp.

LHMHMOM
05-12-09, 09:31 AM
Well, he talked to his recruiter and he is definately going infantry. His recruiter suggested not going with the UZ contract because he will be up against seasoned Marines. He feels like it would be better if he spent some time in infantry before trying for recon.

Yes Old Marine, first he must get through boot camp. And so must Mama!! I think he will do better that I will!!!

Old Marine
05-12-09, 09:36 AM
The physical part of boot camp is easy. It's the mental part that is the problem.

NoRemorse
05-12-09, 09:39 AM
Good to hear that you guys are getting locked on, ma'am. I'd suggest he take the UZ contract anyway if he really wants recon. That way he gets a shot after SOI if he's met the requirements.

If he doesn't make it through the Indoc or BRC he'll revert to a UH contract and be assigned to an Infantry unit. I haven't found any regs that say he can't try again if he doesn't make it through the first time.

LHMHMOM
05-12-09, 09:40 AM
He is definately physically prepared. He's been in DEP for almost a year now so he works out weekly with the recruiters and more on his own. The recruiters all tell me that he will do fine and that makes me feel better!! Is making mama's feel better part of their job? They sure do it well!!

LHMHMOM
05-12-09, 09:42 AM
Thanks NoRemorse. I'll let him know. I've told him about this site and I know he has spent some time on here but probably not enough. I think he would benefit so much from talking to you all directly instead of me telling him what you say.

marinemom
05-12-09, 09:48 AM
Well, it is not really the job of the recruiter to make moms feel better - but they are honest with you.

Just remember, this is your child's choice - and you job is to support that choice.Best advice I can give you for getting through his boot time is to write, write, write - send funny cards, clips from the local paper - he needs it a lot and you feel better doing it.

On no condition send food! Nada, never, do not do it. Not unless you want to hear the story about how he had to eat every item in the bos in 30 seconds or less.

Just wait until you see him cross the Parade Deck at graduation - remember how you felt when you saw him for the first time after he was born? This feeling almost as good as that one, trust me.

LHMHMOM
05-12-09, 10:59 AM
Thanks Marinemom. I am crazy about all of the recuiters in our are that I know well. We have a few new ones but I'm sure I'll get to know them too. It feels really good to know that I have someone to call when I have a question or concers. The head recruiter in our area told me I could call him before I get my son's address and he will give it to me. They all seem to be willing to do anything necessary to make things easier for the entire family while always being straight with us.

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 03:10 AM
On no condition send food! Nada, never, do not do it. Not unless you want to hear the story about how he had to eat every item in the bos in 30 seconds or less.

I disagree. Send him food. If nothing else, it will make for a great story later! Oh, and he's not going to get hurt or anything like that if his mother sends him food in the mail. If anything he'll get stronger, from all the pushups he's going to do.

Honestly though, thinking back to my boot camp, I found it funny when people got food in the mail. One recruit received candy every single week. I think his friends sent it on purpose. They played games with him, and made him do stupid stuff, but in the end some of the candy sometimes got distributed to the platoon, because they always sent enough for everyone. We only got candy maybe three times in boot camp, but I think every single time was because of him.

PaidinBlood
05-13-09, 08:12 AM
Well, he talked to his recruiter and he is definately going infantry. His recruiter suggested not going with the UZ contract because he will be up against seasoned Marines. He feels like it would be better if he spent some time in infantry before trying for recon.

Yes Old Marine, first he must get through boot camp. And so must Mama!! I think he will do better that I will!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TJHHG5E5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

MotoDad
05-19-09, 03:14 PM
Your son can do it, if he wants it bad enough and trains hard enough for many months BEFORE shipping to Boot Camp!

My 19 year-old son just shipped to Boot Camp (9) days ago with a MOS 0321 UZ contract......

Although very athletic, he still trained HARD for (4) solid months prior to shipping-out.....4-5 miles daily running.....1,000-1,500 yards daily swimming in FULL CAMMIES.....100-125 pull-ups, sit-ups and weight-training every other day.....

A few days before he shipped, we ran a final PFT.....21 pull-ups, 107 sit-ups in 2:00 minutes and a 19:45 3-mile run.....that's a 289 PFT score.....

Also, he swims the 500 meters (breast and side-stroke only is allowed at BRC) wearing full cammies in 13:15 minutes (BRC requirement is 17:00 minutes or less).....

He can tread water in full cammies for well over an hour, then he gets bored (only 30 minutes of water-tread required at BRC)....

Under-water swim holding breath for 25meters is no problem.....

Perhaps most importantly....he never...ever.....no matter what....QUITS!!!! :thumbup:

I would also suggest that some of you older Marines not be so discouraging and insulting to the poolee's when they ask about Recon!

Yes, I know...you get tired of the umpteen jillion Poolee threads with Recon and Scout/Sniper questions.....I've read 'em all, too.... and they can wear you out!

While it's true that 90% of these wannabe's will never actually try-out for Recon (and most who do try-out won't make it), there are some Poolee's(like my son), who HAVE prepared.....who ARE serious.....who have already achieved the physical ability to make it......

These guys deserve to be supported and encouraged by all of us!

(On the other hand, telling my son he "probably can't do something" has always been more MOTIVATING to him than anything else!" ;)

Long live USMC Reconnaissance.....truly the "best of the best"!!!!!!

LHMHMOM
05-19-09, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the encouragement MotoDad. My son has decided to take the advice of his recruiter and go infantry with out the UZ for now. He will spend some time in infantry and after about a year try out for recon. I think it's probably better that he wait on trying out for recon because he needs to make sure it's what he wants.

Good luck to your son in boot camp and beyond!!!

MotoDad
05-19-09, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragement MotoDad. My son has decided to take the advice of his recruiter and go infantry with out the UZ for now. He will spend some time in infantry and after about a year try out for recon. I think it's probably better that he wait on trying out for recon because he needs to make sure it's what he wants.

Good luck to your son in boot camp and beyond!!!

LHMHMOM,

That sounds like a great plan for your son, particularly if he isn't totally sure about Recon just yet......

Thanks a bunch and my best wishs for your son's USMC career!! :thumbup: