PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Hometown Heroes Billboard

thedrifter
05-06-09, 06:24 AM
Marine Corps Hometown Heroes Billboard

The U.S. Marines have made local hero, Lieutenant Colonel Brian Kennedy, the poster person for the Corps' proud tradition of service. Putting his face on a billboard above Route 224 in Boardman.

It's one of 20 billboards across the country to feature these hometown heroes-- in hopes more brave men and women will serve.

"Within the last three years the Marine Corps has gone from 175,000, and we're going to 202,000. You would think that getting an additional 27,000 folks in a nation this large to join the Marine Corps is an easy matter, well it's really not", says Lt. Col. Brian Kennedy.

So recruiters point to people like Kennedy-- born in Youngstown, he graduated from Poland High School in 1984, and attended Ohio State University.

Kennedy served in Haiti and Bosnia before doing two tours of duty piloting the AH-1W Super Cobra attack helicopter in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

He's logged more than 3,000 hours in military aircraft, and is one of seven Marines to be awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, with a "V" for valor, during combat in Iraq.

"You're out there shooting....To neutralize enemy position so that the Marines can continue to do what they need to do on the ground", explains Lt. Col. Kennedy.

Kennedy is still on active duty, serving at Camp Pendleton, California. But now he'll also serve as a reminder to friends, family, and anyone who passes by the billboard-- of a humble hero who simply does his job.

"It's almost a little bit surreal when you pass by, you know, I'm used to seeing him in person, I'm not used to seeing him up on a billboard", says Eric Kennedy, Brian's nephew.

"Marines by their very nature are extraordinary individuals. So if they're all extraordinary, we become ordinary to one another", adds Lt. Col. Kennedy.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-06-09, 07:51 AM
By William K. Alcorn

The Marine Hometown Hero Program billboards are going up around the country.

BOARDMAN — Marine Lt. Col. Brian Kennedy said he was an ordinary Marine serving in extraordinary circumstances as an attack helicopter pilot supporting extraordinary Marines on the ground who were often “nose to nose” with the enemy.

Kennedy, recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross with “V” for Valor for his actions in Iraq in 2003, said he is humbled to be chosen by the Marine Corps to appear on one of its Hometown Hero Program billboards.

Similar billboards are going up around the country with the pictures of Marines who have distinguished themselves in combat situations, said Marine Capt. Jason Grimm of the 4th Marine Corps Recruiting District, which includes this area.

The dedication of the billboard featuring Kennedy, a 1984 graduate of Poland Seminary High School, was conducted Tuesday. Kennedy’s billboard, donated by Lamar Advertising, is at 685 Boardman-Canfield Road (U.S. Route 224) in the parking lot of Los Gallos Restaurant.

“We’re here for the Marine Corps today — not for myself — to put some young guys in uniform so guys like me can retire,” Kennedy said with a smile. He flies the AH-W1 Super Cobra attack helicopter.

In truth, Kennedy, who is 43 and has been in the service for 19 years, said he will stay in the Marine Corps until they push him out, or it’s no longer fun.

“I’ve never met a Marine who said he wished he had not been a Marine, and I don’t think I ever will,” he said.

Kennedy, the son of Bill and Margaret Kennedy of Canfield, recently completed an assignment at Marine Corps Headquarters at the Pentagon as the Corps’ air-to-ground weapons requirements officer. His next assignment is Camp Pendleton, Calif., as the executive officer of Marine Aircraft Group 39.

Tuesday’s dedication was attended by a number of Kennedy’s friends and family members, including some former teachers.

Milt Kochert, Kennedy’s high school American government teacher and a retired Naval Reserve captain, remembers Kennedy as an excellent and highly dedicated student who was very patriotic.

“He was a great kid with a great mom and dad,” said Cecil Duffett, retired Poland High School principal.

Kennedy’s father, when asked how proud he was, said: “I have no buttons left to pop off.”

alcorn@vindy.com

Video

http://www.vindy.com/videos/2009/may/05/764/

Ellie