PDA

View Full Version : Question about tattoo

TyFats
05-05-09, 11:00 PM
I did all my "searching" and read all about the policy but I would like to post a picture of my tattoo and get everyone's opinion. Do you think I will need a waiver? It's almost a half sleeve on my right upper bicep, nothing is shaded yet so I could even just keep the outline but would they ban it even though it strongly represents my religion and beliefs?

It's my guardian angel, crosses, and the virgin mary. (I'm catholic)

Thanks for your time,
Tyler:iwo:

mbrazil
05-05-09, 11:42 PM
Ask your recruiter.

mbrazil
05-05-09, 11:44 PM
The question is not what it is but how big it is. If it can be seen in a short sleeve shirt you will most likely need a waiver. I had to get one for mine and its a family crest.

JoeInVille
05-06-09, 12:55 AM
Dude...i got a half sleeve while in the Corps and no one said anything. The tattoo policy is bs, my squad leader has almost 2 full sleeves.

jbf101
05-06-09, 01:08 AM
Eh, alot of stuff can be grandfathered in. However they CAN nail you on getting tattoos, but i've never seen it happen. There are a couple guys in my platoon who have gotten full sleeves since getting here, and no one has cared.

To answer the original question, yes you will probably have to get a waiver to join because of the tattoo, shouldn't be too much of an issue though.

ianmusto
05-06-09, 01:09 AM
It's not bullsh*t, but there certainly is a lot of gray area. In my opinion, you will need a waiver, But thats not really up to me now is it?http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=735666689&pid=2074310#/photo.php?pid=3001974&id=735666689

Rocky C
05-06-09, 06:31 AM
Nice TAT!!! I got 67. You shouldn't have a problem.

MARINECID
05-06-09, 06:40 AM
From what I see you should be good. If you have 4 or more tattoos then you would need a waiver. Worst case scenario, the operations chief would send the picture to District for a review. But you should be fine.

0231Marine
05-06-09, 06:59 AM
Isn't that tattoo on your left arm?

nrml1
05-06-09, 07:11 AM
Isn't that tattoo on your left arm?

Corporal, I think he took that picture on a mirror.

Rocky C
05-06-09, 07:41 AM

I don't think so!!! With my keen eyesight, attention to detail and deductive reasoning, one can plainly see that the left arm is hanging and the 3 fingers of the right hand are placed on the shirt near the collar bone. Soo where is he holding the camera??? and if someone else took the picture into a mirror then why didn't they just take a picture of the Tattoo???
Looks like a classic case of someone who is bored who took a picture of a friends Tattoo because noone is on MySpace this morning and Mom won't let me play XBOX 360 :)

But that's just my opinion :thumbup:
Rocky

0231Marine
05-06-09, 07:57 AM

Maybe it is, I don't know. I guess we'll find out if he posts again.

KawiGunny
05-06-09, 08:01 AM
Dude...i got a half sleeve while in the Corps and no one said anything. The tattoo policy is bs, my squad leader has almost 2 full sleeves.

Sure, you can go out and get all the tats you want. When it comes to bite you in the arse is when it comes to re-enlistment and certain types of duty. If you have no intention of staying in, go ahead and break the rules and get out (hopefully at your EAS and not before).

TyFats
05-06-09, 10:13 AM
I don't think so!!! With my keen eyesight, attention to detail and deductive reasoning, one can plainly see that the left arm is hanging and the 3 fingers of the right hand are placed on the shirt near the collar bone. Soo where is he holding the camera??? and if someone else took the picture into a mirror then why didn't they just take a picture of the Tattoo???
Looks like a classic case of someone who is bored who took a picture of a friends Tattoo because noone is on MySpace this morning and Mom won't let me play XBOX 360 :)

But that's just my opinion :thumbup:
Rocky

I actually did take the picture in a mirror. :D It's the whole picture, didn't take it for MySpace or Facebook or nothing like that. It was the best angle I could get at the time. My right hand is holding the camera too.

Thank you for all the speedy replies, I have yet to even contact a recruiter, which will be my next step. I have done thorough research on the corps and KNOW that I want to work hard and earn the title of a U.S. Marine.

Thanks Guys,
Tyler

thewookie
05-06-09, 01:33 PM

I'm thinking they don't gig you on the first enlistment unless you are a limp crank kinda guy and someone would like to grind you.

They get you when you go to reenlist and go to the drill field, recruiting, MSG or one of them special assignments.

Or maybe way down the road for Staff NCO selection, either way in the long run, you are not telling the Corps what you are going to do.

So, if you absolutely know you are a one contract guy, get all the ink you want,, but you better be right or you might ruin your chances to re-up.

0231Marine
05-07-09, 07:09 AM
Sooooo...if the camera is in your right hand, then that means the tattoo is on your left arm?

Rocky C
05-07-09, 07:29 AM
Sooooo...if the camera is in your right hand, then that means the tattoo is on your left arm?

:D
HAHAHAHA
There is no way this Kid's gonna talk his way out of this one.

jcarter73
05-07-09, 10:00 AM
You will need a waiver if the tattoo is visable while wearing PT gear. They take pictures of you in the green on green PT uniform, then a picture of the tattoo, then a picture of you with your hand covering as much of it as possible.

The deal with getting a tattoo or a few during your first enlistment is really not an issue provided they are above the "Charlie Mark" and not visable in uniform.

Sleeve tattoos are fast becoming something the Corps wants no part of, and re-enlistment with a sleeve will soon be a thing of the past.

Marine Corps just released guidance on sleeve tattoos... via MARADMIN, not sure of the number.

best of luck

Sgt0231
05-07-09, 10:14 AM
haha nice point 0231Marine! maybe it's not even his tattoo!