PDA

View Full Version : Pain when running

johnb08
05-05-09, 02:34 PM
I have been getting a pain on both legs on the inside right above my ankle every time my heels hit the ground. Any ideas?

BGW
05-05-09, 02:37 PM
Your shoes might be a little worn out. I know my shins hurt a little bit when i go running but my recruiter told me one possible reason would be my shoes. Which makes sense, my shoes are very worn out... I for get what was the other possibility for cause...

Chumley
05-05-09, 02:47 PM
See the Doc and make sure you aren't doing damage to a real condition. If Doc says good to go, then work on running "softer"...lighten up on the impact - think more like rolling heel to toe than landing with each step.
Running can be somewhat uncomfortable, especially when learning. STRETCH a lot if you are a novice. Spend a few minutes ( not 2 or 3 seconds ) rotating each ankle before and after running.

Pain - In my leg. Pain - In my back. Pain - in my arms. PAIN - it's in my HEAD.

NoRemorse
05-05-09, 02:51 PM
Once you've followed Cpl Chumley's exemplary advice and have been cleared you should start a stretching regimen before and after your run. Watch your form (even better, have someone else watch your form) and adjust.

Check your go-fasters too. And above all, know when to pull back or push harder (as in listen to your body and learn).

SlingerDun
05-05-09, 04:01 PM
I for get what was the other possibility for cause...Unequal weight bearing, impact/landing pattern, conformation, overweight etc. go see a podiatrist or, look at the wear pattern on your shoes.
I have been getting a pain on both legs on the inside right above my ankle every time my heels hit the ground. Any ideas?Yes, to me it sounds like carpus valgus or "knock-kneed" conformation to some degree. This deviation from the "ideal" straight leg places more stress when landing on the inside of the foot and limb.
Observe your conformation objectively in a full length mirror and running straight at or away from a video camera if possible. Hard inserts usually remedy many of the pain issues due to excessive weight bearing, unbalanced weight bearing and conformation. But don't run in them right away, get used to the changes because a teenagers bones are not quite "set" but they're close.

The soft gel inserts make you feel better directly but they allow for the same old flight and landing patterns that might be the cause of your pain, a runners frame needs support not squish. I don't run much anymore but i've tested many insoles and finally landed with "Superfeet, Green".

Don't wait until you can afford decent shoes and inserts or you may be to old for change

--->Dave

commdog7
05-05-09, 04:27 PM
Am I a doctor? No. Do I have the ability to physicals take a look at your legs/ankle? No. So why would you listen to me or anyone else's on here telling you what the problem is?

Go see a doc, they are the only one's who can help you.

Rocky C
05-05-09, 04:35 PM
Am I a doctor? No. Do I have the ability to physicals take a look at your legs/ankle? No. So why would you listen to me or anyone else's on here telling you what the problem is?

Go see a doc, they are the only one's who can help you.

Well there you Go!!!

johnb08
05-05-09, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the advice Marines.

Pete0331
05-05-09, 05:38 PM
I have been getting a pain on both legs on the inside right above my ankle every time my heels hit the ground. Any ideas?

Worn out shoes and/or insoles that aren't supporting your arches correctly, is what I think it is.

AndyBowman
05-06-09, 05:31 AM

Suck it up and run.

christine_06
05-06-09, 08:25 PM
If you run a lot or run hard make sure you have shoes that properly fit and switch them out every few months so you dont try to run in worn shoes. Make sure you stretch before you run. If the pain is persistant and gets worse the harder you run try rolling your feet from heel to toe and if anything get it looked at by a doctor so make sure there is nothing medically wrong so you dont make the problem worse. I use to have a lot of pain when i ran and i use to ignore it and now im going on a medical board and im not suppose to run anymore, don't make the same mistake i did. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

SlingerDun
05-06-09, 10:05 PM
why would you listen to me or anyone else's on here telling you what the problem is?I do believe it's convenience, that and somebody will sure enough answer directly; maybe somebody like myself who sizes up crooked limbs (although not usually bi-peds) most everyday for the last couple decades and has seen and treated impact related damage and injury's with PHD's standing over his shoulder, someone who might visit the thread and drop a few suggestions. One of which was
...go see a podiatrist...

--->Dave