PDA

View Full Version : MCRDSD new IST run time?

johnb08
05-05-09, 02:09 PM
I heard that instead of 13:30 it is now 11:30 for the 1.5...is that true?

BGW
05-05-09, 02:29 PM
I seriously doubt that they changed the time like that. I believe some one is messing with you.

johnb08
05-05-09, 02:35 PM
Can any recruiters or Drill Instructors confirm?

BGW
05-05-09, 02:40 PM
Your recruiter I am sure would be more than willing to answer your question if you want an answer from a recruiter.

wolf0259
05-05-09, 02:56 PM
I just had an IST with my recruiter last week and it was 13:30 with no mention of any time change. You might be thinking of the "perfect" run time for the IST, not the minimum.

cocruxified
05-05-09, 03:19 PM
I just had an IST with my recruiter last week and it was 13:30 with no mention of any time change. You might be thinking of the "perfect" run time for the IST, not the minimum.

The perfect run time for the IST would technically be 9 min.

JdnSmith
05-05-09, 03:37 PM
Although I don't think it's a horrible idea, I really doubt that there is any truth to this. However, if you can't get a 13:30 you definately need a lot of PT. I understand that the Marine Corps is setting a baseline for brand new recruits but 13:30 is a joke. Assuming you could run the second 1.5 miles just as fast that translates to a 27 minute PFT, which translates into an azz ripping. This is an interesting topic though, what do the rest of you Marines think?

Gunner614
05-05-09, 07:44 PM
It's just a rumor, its still 13:30. I think they should lower it to like 12:30 though

BGW
05-05-09, 09:08 PM
Hmm actually its kind of true... Just spoke to my recruiter about this. For boot camp it is still 13:30 minimum run. But for some reason all RSS in San Diego are going to start using 11:30 instead of 13:30. So if your in San Diego and you can not get a better time then 11:30, they will not let you go to boot camp. That is my understanding, only for poolees in San Diego.

wolf0259
05-05-09, 11:06 PM
The perfect run time for the IST would technically be 9 min.

I figure as much. Just for some reason I have 11:30 in my head as the ideal time for it.

JWDevilDog
05-06-09, 02:27 AM
Hmm actually its kind of true... Just spoke to my recruiter about this. For boot camp it is still 13:30 minimum run. But for some reason all RSS in San Diego are going to start using 11:30 instead of 13:30. So if your in San Diego and you can not get a better time then 11:30, they will not let you go to boot camp. That is my understanding, only for poolees in San Diego.

This makes no sense. The 13:30 standard comes down from HQMC. There wouldn't be different standards for different boot camps. This would add actual credence to the argument that Marines from one coast are better than Marines from another coast. No, there wouldn't be different standards for different Marine Corps Recruit Depots. They may have a different schedule of events, but in the end both coasts get the same training and are held to the same standards.

I am looking for the official documentation online right now.

nrml1
05-06-09, 04:23 AM
Interesting, either way we should all be aiming for anything less than 10mins, I know I am.

Gunner614
05-06-09, 09:23 AM

Who told you that?
I'm from RS Oceanside

JZfs720
05-06-09, 09:26 AM
This makes no sense. The 13:30 standard comes down from HQMC. There wouldn't be different standards for different boot camps. This would add actual credence to the argument that Marines from one coast are better than Marines from another coast. No, there wouldn't be different standards for different Marine Corps Recruit Depots. They may have a different schedule of events, but in the end both coasts get the same training and are held to the same standards.

I don't believe he's saying different time for MCRD San Diego, LCpl, but I think BGW was saying the time for the IST at both MCRDs is still the same, but the recruiting stations in San Diego are using different times before allowing their poolees to ship. I guess they want to put poolees of a higher physical caliber in boot.

Capital M
05-06-09, 09:59 AM
I don't believe he's saying different time for MCRD San Diego, LCpl, but I think BGW was saying the time for the IST at both MCRDs is still the same, but the recruiting stations in San Diego are using different times before allowing their poolees to ship. I guess they want to put poolees of a higher physical caliber in boot.

if that's the case, he should change his title from "MCRDSD new IST run time?"

JZfs720
05-06-09, 10:02 AM
if that's the case, he should change his title from "MCRDSD new IST run time?"

oh, not the original poster. I was referring to BGW's post which the LCpl had referenced

BGW
05-06-09, 11:13 AM
Who told you that?
I'm from RS Oceanside

The field commander of RSS Poway said so. He did not make a big announcment to all us poolees but i did over hear him talking to another poolee about the run time changing to 11:30 and so I asked him about it.

Yes, like JZfs720 said, that is what i meant. All poolees in the country that are going to MCRD San Diego will still continue being shipped and if they fail the run time at boot camp then they get couple more weeks of training in boot camp. (for get what that special platoon was called)

How ever, if your a poolee in San Diego and you can not get a run time below 11:30 before you ship off to boot camp. Then I gues they will not even alow you to ship. I am not sure if they are going to inforce that or what. Again thats from my understanding, seems kind of odd to me though. But I am not worry about it.

Capital M
05-06-09, 01:21 PM
oh, not the original poster. I was referring to BGW's post which the LCpl had referenced

My apologies, read that wrong.

johnb08
05-06-09, 10:07 PM
I'm from RS National City in San Diego CA and the GySgt in charge of the office told me of the new time.

BGW
05-06-09, 10:41 PM
National City? Is that GySgt Wayne you are talking about?

johnb08
05-06-09, 10:46 PM
Yes

wolf0259
05-06-09, 10:55 PM
I still find it strange that they wouldn't tell other recruiters that the new required time at MCRD SD is 11:30. Cuz then you're gonna get all these poolees coming in that aren't up to snuff and the recruiters get in trouble for that I thought...Maybe people already shipping are gonna be "grandfathered" in?

BGW
05-06-09, 11:17 PM
Yes

Dude that is freak in awesome! Gunny Wayne use to be my recruiter before he was transferred over to National City because he was getting his own command! Though I felt sad when he left, that guy is so funny.

It is not a new requirement at MCRD SD, only for all the RSS in San Diego. Do not worry about it if your not a poolee in San Diego. MCRD SD IST is still 13:30 minute latest run.

wolf0259
05-06-09, 11:18 PM
Ahh ok. Wording was a little funky.

BGW
05-06-09, 11:20 PM
Ahh ok. Wording was a little funky.

sorry, I guess I am not good at explaining these kinds of things

JWDevilDog
05-07-09, 01:59 AM
if they fail the run time at boot camp then they get couple more weeks of training in boot camp. (for get what that special platoon was called)

It is the Physical Conditioning Platoon, otherwise known as PCP. If a recruit fails his IST, he will be put in PCP until he is able to make the minimum standards.

It is not a new requirement at MCRD SD, only for all the RSS in San Diego. Do not worry about it if your not a poolee in San Diego. MCRD SD IST is still 13:30 minute latest run.

Ok, that makes more sense. If it is a policy of a recruiting station, that is understandable. That simply means the recruiters there want their poolees to be in better shape when they ship. It doesn't mean they won't eventually ship, it just means the Marines at the RSS will need to put in more work, making sure their poolees are up to snuff.

Like I said, I couldn't imagine the USMC would change the standards for one recruit depot and not the other. I don't have a problem lowering the minimum run time, but that would mean they would have to do it across the board. Not only that, but they would have to change the minimum PFT standards, as the IST is designed to closely replicate the PFT. Individual RSS's choosing to send poolees to boot camp who are in better physical condition is entirely different, and I have no problem with that.

acernie
05-07-09, 02:25 AM
What is the IST? I have been out since 1997 (0351- 2/7) Back then when we ran the PFT I ran the 3 miles in about 24 min. Has it change since?

JWDevilDog
05-07-09, 02:36 AM
Sgt, the IST is the "Initial Strength Test" that recruits take when they first arrive at boot camp. It is pullups (minimum two), a 1.5 mile run (minimum time of 13:30), and crunches (minimum 54, I think?).

We still take the PFT, but I suppose the Corps doesn't want recruits doing an actual PFT when they first arrive at boot camp? I'm not too sure why we have the IST, but it is really only for poolees and recruits to take (recruits only take it once).

acernie
05-07-09, 03:09 AM
It really has changed since I was in. We didn't have an IST in boot camp. Everything was get up and go. That was about 20 years ago. Man time flies when you are having fun. Enjoy Okinawa and get your SCUBA certification there. is alot much cheaper.

acernie
05-07-09, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the update on the IST.

JWDevilDog
05-07-09, 03:15 AM
Not a problem, Sgt. I plan on getting my scuba cert while here, but not just yet. Trying to save up a bit of money to go back stateside this summer, if possible.

acernie
05-07-09, 03:39 AM
Cool, keep in touch I have to hit the rack it's 1:40 am here. Semper fi.

johnb08
05-25-09, 12:14 PM
JZfs720 is right. The C.O. found that there was too many people failing the IST at boot camp so they lowered it to 11:30 to leave but it's still 13:30 at the Depot. Hope this helps for all of you San Diego poolees.

rosary9mm
05-25-09, 11:35 PM

ACTUALLY FOR ALL SAN DIEGO RSS' THE TIME BEFORE BOOT CAMP HAS TO BE UNDER 11:30 FOR MALE POOLEES. REASON BEING THERE WAS ONE POOLEE WHO WAS UNDER THE 13:30 TIME LIMIT, BUT FAILED THE PFT RUN TIME BY 10 SECONDS AT THE END OF BOOT. AND MEPS SAN DIEGO HAS PUT THIS REGUALTION INTO EFFECT ONLY FOR SAN DIEGO OFFICES, IF A POOLEE CANT MEET THAT REQUIREMENT THEIR SHIP DATE WILL BE PUSHED BACK.

nrml1
05-26-09, 03:10 AM
ACTUALLY FOR ALL SAN DIEGO RSS' THE TIME BEFORE BOOT CAMP HAS TO BE UNDER 11:30 FOR MALE POOLEES. REASON BEING THERE WAS ONE POOLEE WHO WAS UNDER THE 13:30 TIME LIMIT, BUT FAILED THE PFT RUN TIME BY 10 SECONDS AT THE END OF BOOT. AND MEPS SAN DIEGO HAS PUT THIS REGUALTION INTO EFFECT ONLY FOR SAN DIEGO OFFICES, IF A POOLEE CANT MEET THAT REQUIREMENT THEIR SHIP DATE WILL BE PUSHED BACK.

I can confirm this. I can't even DEP in without being able to do the new time. I can do the 13:30 but not the new one, gotta shave two minutes off. Also you have to be able to do two pull ups at MEPS before you can dep in.

Whatever it takes! Bring it on!

Andrew Jackson
08-07-10, 11:02 AM
Hi, using the search feature this was the closest thing I could find to the relevant information I need. I was told today by another poolee that the IST standards for the run have changed from 13:30 to 13:00. Is this true? I'm not gonna lie I am out of shape when it comes to cardio (got lazy after college), as today I ran my best IST in 13:52. I just want to know how far off I am from passing. I am gtg on everything else, working to improve everything though.

Thanks

PARKER93
08-07-10, 04:10 PM
My office goes to San Diego and it's still 13:30 to leave. But if I were you I would shoot for under 11 before I left for Boot. Just find a good running workout.

Yonkers
08-07-10, 04:23 PM
I don't know about you guys... but at mine it's 12 minutes flat. They keep raising the standards bit by bit because they're trying to reduce and get the best amount of people.

Then again I'm East Coast... but the west coast may be doing the same thing!

Andrew Jackson
08-07-10, 04:38 PM
My office goes to San Diego and it's still 13:30 to leave. But if I were you I would shoot for under 11 before I left for Boot. Just find a good running workout.

I am deffinetely not shooting for the minimum, but you gotta crawl before you walk and I am just getting back there. Appreciate the information though. Incidentally I shaved over 20 seconds off from my last IST which I did earlier in the week so the training I am doing currently is working.

berts78
08-08-10, 05:04 AM
Wow my recruiter said it's around 15min.