PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Company or Light Armored Recon?

fox223
05-05-09, 12:49 PM
I'm joining the reserves, and one of the benefits of the reserves (I suppose) is that you can pick your MOS and your unit so long as they have an opening. There are two units in Utah - one is a regular rifle company and the other is an LAR company.
I know that both are considered infantry companies, but I was wondering how much of a difference there was in their respective missions. I did a little research on the internet and from what I found LAR companies provide "Recon-in-force" ahead of the rest of the battalion. I couldn't find anything on rifle companies, but I would assume their mission was similar but without the reconnaissance aspect.
I want 0311 and I was wondering how different, if at all this MOS would be in these two units? Also, does anyone here have any history either working in or with an LAR company? And lastly, if it were you and these were the to units you had to choose from, which would you choose and why? Poolees and wannabes feel free to answer as well.

awbrown1462
05-05-09, 01:02 PM
more detail on the 4th LAR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Light_Armored_Reconnaissance_Battalion
and a Marine Rifle Company
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/company.htm

SGT VAS
05-05-09, 01:35 PM
I cannot speak for a reserve LAR unit but I will say being apart of 3rd LAR was the time of my life. The only difference between 0311s and 0313s is 0313s go to LAV School and become crewman after SOI. 0311s go immediately to the fleet to perfect their craft.

I have never had any regrets and had a blast hitting up Iraq on my first deployment and then being attached to the 31st MEU and 2/5 on my second. Anytime you get to see 8 countires in 4 years, you know its a good ride.

Go to You Tube and type in LAV-25 to get a taste and see if you like it.:flag:

Gunner 0313
05-05-09, 01:49 PM
:flag:LAR all the way !!! No comparison. Once you send lead down range with the M242 you'll never want to do anything else.

SGT VAS
05-05-09, 02:30 PM
Gunner 0313 is right. Putting 25 mike mike rounds downrange is ****** spectacular!! Overwhelming firepower baby :banana:

Rocky C
05-05-09, 04:48 PM
The wonderful love of a beautiful maid,
The love of a staunch true man,
The love of a baby, unafraid,
Have existed since time began.

But the greatest of loves, The quintessence of loves.
even greater than that of a mother,
Is the tender, passionate, infinite love,
of one drunken Marine for another.

"Semper Fidelis"
General Louis H. Wilson
Commandant of the Marine Corps
Toast given at 203rd Marine Corps Birthday Ball
Camp Lejueune, N.C. 1978

I can't believe you have that qoute posted. I remember that like it was yesterday. I was at the Ball, stationed with HDQtrs Bty, 4/10 French Creek.

ps. listen to Gunner and SGT VAS, LAR All the Way, M242 will give you a Woody!!!

fox223
05-06-09, 05:22 PM
Wow, overwhelming support for LAR! I wasn't expecting such a one-sided decision. Although, I think I really would enjoy working with those LAVs. I checked them out on Youtube like you said Sgt. and they are awesome. I'd love to work with those someday. I'd still like to hear from anyone in rifle companies for input on the subject. And where are my fellow wannabes and poolees on this one?