PDA

View Full Version : The Killer Elite

top1371
07-11-03, 05:55 PM
I havent nearly finished reading this article, it is very long. I is a story in Rolling Stones.

Thought I'd share it, because I know that many of you dont have much to do in your old age. :banana:

“Get some!” is the unofficial Marine Corps cheer. It’s shouted when a brother Marine is struggling to beat his personal best in a fitness run. It punctuates stories told at night about getting laid in *****houses in Thailand and Australia. It’s the cry of exhilaration after firing a burst from a .50-caliber machine gun. Get some! expresses in two simple words the excitement, fear, feelings of power and the erotic-tinged thrill that come from confronting the extreme physical and emotional challenges posed by death, which is, of course, what war is all about. Nearly every Marine I’ve met is hoping this war with Iraq will be his chance to get some.

The Killer Elite (http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1696)

Semper Fi,

Top:marine:

Osotogary
07-11-03, 06:47 PM
Thank you, top 1371. The article is very long but it is very readable.(I had some spare time in my very near old age) The "Killer Elite" was also a movie with James Caan and it was filmed in and around the San Francisco, Vallejo (Moth Ball Fleet) Bay area. I remember the film because my by brother and alot of Karate and Kung Fu Instructors that I knew were involved with the film.
Why am I bringing this up? Heck, I don't know. I guess the words "Killer Elite" triggered an dormant memory.
Thanks again for bringing the Rolling Stone article to the forefront.
Gary

leroy8541
07-12-03, 02:33 PM
Whew, that was a long one. Good though, thanks.

yellowwing
07-12-03, 07:15 PM
I should have known Rolling Stone would send someone ebedded with Recon.

"Colbert's team is part of a twenty-three-man platoon in Bravo Company." - Must be great to be at full strength.

"And this time I get to do what I've always wanted to do in T.J.," Colbert answers. "Burn it to the ground." - Deja Vu!

The Marines stop and toss bright-yellow humanitarian food packages at clusters of civilians. As kids run out to grab them, Colbert waves: "You're welcome. Vote Republican." - Ack! You guys are every where!

"That's a g*ddamn ZPU!" Colbert says, referring to a type of powerful multibarreled Russian anti-aircraft gun. - (.55 calibre) Very bad news! If it was effectively deployed, our company of Recon heroes would have been reduced to an under strength platoon. We definately go where Angels fear to tread!

"If we'd have fought these women instead of men," another Marine observes, "we might have got our asses kicked." - Christ on a Cracker!

Devildogg4ever
07-13-03, 03:50 AM
A very good read! Long, but good. I got so wrapped up in it, I forgot I was on this site reading a post!

Thanks, top1371!