PDA

View Full Version : Sit-Up hip pain

abailey
05-04-09, 11:16 PM
Recently I have been getting pain inside my right hip/upper thigh area during my sit-ups.

Anyone have any idea?

PaidinBlood
05-04-09, 11:26 PM
Recently I have been getting pain inside my right hip/upper thigh area during my sit-ups.

Anyone have any idea?

I'm no expert but I'd guess just improper form. As your core rapidly wears out, many start pulling with their legs. Make sure to take your time stretching before AND after exercise as well.

Pete0331
05-05-09, 12:21 AM

Anyone have any idea?

Pain in your bones or your muscles?

I use one of those yoga/ab balls for situps.
It may look gay but it saves my lower back.
Which isn't doing as good as it used to after carrying heavy crap for 4 years.

abailey
05-05-09, 11:17 AM
I think my form is at least decent, It's just a regular situp with my feet under a workbench.

I use the ball as well as the chair, incline, and pulley. The only one that gives me the hip problem is the one on the ground.

meallen07
05-05-09, 02:14 PM
It sounds like this is similar to the discomfort I get. I have not found anything that corrects it entirely but stretching certainly does not hurt. Try stretching your groin and quads before and after you do them and see if that does anything.

Rocky C
05-05-09, 05:10 PM
Use ICYHOT. Heat will get the blood flowing through the Muscle, stretch and you should be good to go.
Rocky

PaidinBlood
05-05-09, 06:49 PM
I think my form is at least decent, It's just a regular situp with my feet under a workbench.

I use the ball as well as the chair, incline, and pulley. The only one that gives me the hip problem is the one on the ground.

well since you're obviously not doing ANYTHING wrong, carry the fvck on. :D

seriously, though, form is not just what you put your FEET under. it is finer things like which muscles you use, how far out your legs are, how close the workbench is to the ground, etc. i can't tell you what your malfunction is, just suggest things. when it comes to soliciting advice, treat it less like volleyball and more like fishing-sit back and see what you get. take some to carry on your way, and quietly let the rest go on theirs. if you do it right, the fish is none the wiser...:scared:

good luck

abailey
05-06-09, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately today I got the same pain during my second set of bench. The pain carried on the rest of the day every time I stepped on my right leg.

Should I get it checked out?

DGardner
05-07-09, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately today I got the same pain during my second set of bench. The pain carried on the rest of the day every time I stepped on my right leg.

Should I get it checked out?

Yep.

BR34
05-07-09, 05:34 AM
Try doing crunches instead of sit ups.

nrml1
05-07-09, 06:48 AM
This is interesting I just started getting this pain also, but it wasn't during crunches, it was actually long after I finished running, took a shower, relaxed, went out, came back, had lunch and then it started. Weird stuff, its actually pretty sharp and painful when I walk on that leg.

---
Oddly enough I just got up and tried to walk and it was gone, I swear it was there not 10 minutes ago. Let's see if it comes back. :?

NoRemorse
05-07-09, 07:15 AM
Pain? Shooting pain? Inside or outside of the leg? Joint or muscle based?

Blah blah blah. If it's that bad go get checked out as you may have tweaked something or have another issue like impingement or joint derangement.

If you want to try and isolate the issue then have a parter sit on your feet and wrap his or her arms around the backs of your calves while he pulls up and towards himself.

Your job is to push against him and perform crunches or sit ups. Pushing against him should inhibit your hip flexors and make it an ab exercise.

Also, watch your knees; your feet should be apart and your knees should not be bowing in or out. Anything wrong with one part of the chain will affect the rest. A bum left ankle can affect your right hand and so on and so forth.