PDA

View Full Version : 'I was proud,' grandmother says of Marine

thedrifter
05-04-09, 06:12 AM
'I was proud,' grandmother says of Marine

By Brent Jones | brent.jones@baltsun.com

May 4, 2009

The grandmother of Olney native Sgt. James R. McIlvaine, killed Thursday in Iraq, characterized him as a man who longed to please his father, which is exactly what he did when became a Marine in 2001.

Sergeant McIlvaine joined the Marines after attending Sherwood High School and graduating from a military school in Virginia.

"His father was very patriotic, loved the flag and country," said Patty DeSimone, Sergeant McIlvaine's paternal grandmother, who said her grandson died in combat in Al Anbar province. "James felt the same way. His father missed out on serving, so when James joined, he was proud to have a son in the military. He was proud to see him in uniform. I was proud of him, too."

Family members say he loved Washington sports, and when he was in the area, he frequently would take in a Capitals game. Sergeant McIlvaine's uncle said his nephew played hockey, and he was teaching his 7-year-old son the game.

Sergeant McIlvaine lived in Twentynine Palms, Calif.

"He was full of life," DeSimone said. "And when he was around, he made everybody laugh. He will be greatly missed. He's one of those people that you knew when he was in the room."

Sergeant McIlvaine is survived by his wife, Cheryl, son Michael and daughter Alexa, all of Twentynine Palms.

Ellie