PDA

View Full Version : What became of 40xx?

Zaiik
05-03-09, 08:02 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm suggests that the MOS has been discontinued for a while now, however my recruiter said that he's seen openings for it this year. He also printed off a paper with a quick summary and some information about the job for me to sign, which ended up not doing much since there are no openings until Octoberish. At MEPS the Marine Corps Liaison pretty much said "WTF is this?" and trashed it, and I ended up going in open contract.

Anyway, something of particular note was on the paper there was a section that listed "0500 MAGTF Planner" and "0600 Communications" on it. So, with some reading on About.com, I found 0651/0656 MOSs, which pretty much resembles what my idea of the 4000 Data Systems MOS was. Assuming I get a shot at 40xx, am I going to be a 0651/0656, or something else, or was About.com completely wrong and the MOS still exists today?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

JWDevilDog
05-04-09, 03:03 AM
Well honestly I don't know if they are still accepting people into Data Systems or not, but I do know that I know some junior Marines (who have been in for less than a year) who have the Data Systems MOS.

What might have happened is that they are phasing it out, to be replaced by hired civilians. This is happening to a lot of MOS's. I'm trying to find the list online right now.

giveen
05-04-09, 05:01 PM
40xx field was merged into the 06xx field.
They became 065x Marines.

You will still be needed, civilians dont deploy.

Zaiik
05-04-09, 09:50 PM
40xx field was merged into the 06xx field.
They became 065x Marines.

You will still be needed, civilians dont deploy.

That was what I was expecting, I'd just wanted to make sure.

Thanks to both of you.