PDA

View Full Version : Medical qualifying question and PLC/OCS

Cashis
05-03-09, 02:16 PM
I thank the creator of this forum and all of you for participating in this. It's a valuable tool. In any event, I have a question about medically qualifying.

I am currently enrolled in a pretty high ranked university, earning a degree in science and engineering (dual degrees). My intention is to enroll into the PLC program but after doing some research I learned that I may have two slight things holding me back.

1) Color vision. From the tests I have done and from what I understand, I am about 10% color deficient when it comes to reds. I can easily see vivid red and vivid green, I can even see the different shades of red and greens, but when there's only a 10% difference in the shade of red, I can't pick it up. Will this prevent me from becoming an officer or being accepted into PLC/OCS?

2) Is Sebborhoic Dermatitis a disqualifying condition? I researched it, found atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis and even psoraris on the "no go" list but I don't see Sebborhoic. I used google and found a Navy Dermatoligist manual from early 2000 and it doesn't ban enlistees with Sebborhoic. Basically, it's dandruff. You get dandruff on your scalp and dandruff on your eyebrows, unless you have a severe case which I don't. I have NEVER been diagnosed with it either. It's not on my medical records and I manage it with over the counter products (dandruff shampoo). In fact, being outdoors, sweating, being active, getting sunlight is good for the condition.

Anyone have any answers?

Thank you.

Rocky C
05-03-09, 04:29 PM
Profile up first !!!

Cashis
05-03-09, 05:51 PM
Profile up first !!!

I apologize. It is a habit I have of keeping information to a minimum, probably why I want to get into intelligence. I am under the belief that if information is power, I should possess more than the people around me. Won't happen again.

jamos14
05-05-09, 01:21 PM
Even if either of those conditions is disqualifying, you can always try to obtain a waiver.

I had surgery on a detached retina and was DQ'd. It took me around 2 years to finally get a waiver from MEPS.

I would talk to your local OSO about getting more information about it. An OSO will have more information than anyone else about the OCC program.

Good luck!

meallen07
05-05-09, 02:09 PM
Even if either of those conditions is disqualifying, you can always try to obtain a waiver.

I had surgery on a detached retina and was DQ'd. It took me around 2 years to finally get a waiver from MEPS.

I would talk to your local OSO about getting more information about it. An OSO will have more information than anyone else about the OCC program.

Good luck!

I Second this. I do not believe that they are disqualifying, but the OSO will be able to tell you for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if you cannot fly because of the little color blindness, but it doesn't sound like that's the route you want to take anyway. MEPS only cares about what you have been diagnosed with, only what is in your medical records so if it's not there do not worry about it.

Since you have already graduated you would go through the OCC I believe. Check out the website, www.ocs.usmc.mil (http://www.ocs.usmc.mil) it has more information then anyone could ever tell you.

Good luck with everything!

goodtimes
05-05-09, 03:19 PM
MEPS can accept one person and DQ another even though they suffer from the same conditions! However, I can tell you that I sent in my forms and received a waiver for my Atopic Eczema without them even batting an eye. I thought for sure that I was PDQ for three days straight until I was called by my recruiter and told that they barely cared to know that bit of information. What they care about is severity! Tell them what they ask you to tell them. If you have a condition, they will determine what is good to go and what is no go... however, DON'T SWEAT IT! You are lucky, my waiver packet looks like two phone books in coitus (the brown file weighs a good 6-7 lbs)! You barely have a condition.