PDA

View Full Version : Military spouses at Camp Hansen get a taste of the Marine life

thedrifter
05-03-09, 08:41 AM
Military spouses at Camp Hansen get a taste of the Marine life
By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Monday, May 4, 2009

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa — About 80 3rd Marine Division spouses got a taste of the Marine life Friday at the division’s Jane Wayne Day at Camp Hansen and nearby Kin Blue Beach.

The daylong event was designed to showcase some of the training in which division Marines routinely participate, so that spouses could better understand their Marines’ jobs, said Master Sgt. Darin Robertson, division training chief and one of the event coordinators.

“Hopefully, this understanding will ease tensions … when husbands deploy,” Robertson said, adding that coordinators also “hoped to develop a sense camaraderie amongst the spouses.”

Separated into four groups, the Jane Waynes rode in an amphibious assault vehicle, learned about land-mine detection, found their way on a land-navigation course and got in some marksmanship training at Camp Hansen’s indoor shooting simulator.

At Kin Blue, the groups learned about sniper marksmanship and hit the waves in Zodiac inflatable boats.

Jessica Baker has been married to her Marine, Cpl. Greg Baker, for about 2½ years, so the day in the field was a welcomed opportunity, she said.

“He talks about work all the time. This was the first time to do this, and I wasn’t going to pass it up,” Baker said.

“I think it’s a blast,” said Tonya Field, who is married to Maj. Walker Field. “A better understanding of what they do, gives us a better understanding of them,” she said.

It seemed to be a good day also for the Marine demonstrators and instructors.

“It’s fun to hang out with nonmilitary people for once, and anything that will help them appreciate their husbands’ jobs more is a good thing,” said Sgt. Jesse Villanueva, of the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion.

Ellie