PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Marines Return From Iraq

thedrifter
05-03-09, 07:36 AM
Alabama Marines Return From Iraq

By Jen Hale
Reporter and weekend anchor
Published: May 2, 2009

Seven months ago, these ten marines walked away from their loved ones to not only serve this country, but also the people of Iraq: rebuilding and protecting.

Every member of Delta Company is returning home safely, many with a little different perspective on life.

“Seeing how they are and what they’ve got makes you realize how good things are back here. It makes you really thankful for everything you’ve got,“ says Chris Watkins.

Right now, Watkins is thankful for a lot of things: including the chance to finally hold his son Cameron.

“It’s amazing. He was born in January, and I was in Iraq still. It’s a great feeling,“ Watkins says, smiling through his tears.

It’s a feeling every parent can relate to, no matter how small or big their children may be.

Ann Bishop’s son Chase may be a 23-year-old marine, but today, she’s treasuring the chance to hold him again too.

“It’s wonderful. I couldn’t be happier. I probably haven’t been this happy since I had him twenty-three years ago,“ smiles Bishop.

And now, its back to the assignments of regular life for folks like Chris Watkins.

“Apparently the diaper duty and night time feedings just became my responsibility,“ he says.

A duty he’s welcoming.

These marines were attached to the 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment based out of Hawaii during their deployment.

Ellie