PDA

View Full Version : ribbons on civilian attire

sgtjimh
05-02-09, 10:14 PM
I heard that it is now authorized to wear ribbons on civilian clothing on Veterans Day. Is there any truth to this? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

SSgt Ramsey
05-03-09, 07:38 AM
I know the VA is promoting the wear of medal's on civilian clothing for Veteran's Day, but I have not heard or seen anything authorizing ribbon's on civilian wear.

I do know that mini-medal's are authorized on the lapel in certain "black-tie" affairs and also I believe the MC League is also authorized.

SSgt Ramsey
05-03-09, 08:11 AM
As an addendum, I do know that there are several companies that are now making 1/2 size miniature ribbons that I would think logically since they are not sanctioned for official wear could be worn with civilian attire at the wearer's discretion. The difference being the size and not approved for wear with uniform's is the key I would think.

DocGreek
05-03-09, 11:09 AM
SAM....I've seen lot's of Vet's wearing small ribbons on their cover's. Baseball style hats, with the little ribbons, have been around for a while. What do you think??...DOC

wsky9er
05-03-09, 01:48 PM
Also look up Marine Corps Order MCO P1020.34G W/CH 1-4
Look for Chapter 5, Paragraph 5203, Page 5-15
Title: Wear on Civilian Evening Clothes

a. Males. Miniature medals may be worn on the left lapel of the civilian
evening coat on ceremonial occasions, but only when strictly appropriate to
the occasion. On the full dress and tuxedo coats, miniatures will be worn
centered on the wearer's left lapel, placed horizontally and one inch below
the end of the collar gorge. The top edge of the holding bar will completely
cover the buttonhole. If current styles preclude wearing on the lapel,
miniatures will be placed in the same relative position as if there was a
lapel. Breast Insignia will be centered 1/8 inch above the medals.

SSgt Ramsey
05-03-09, 07:11 PM
Doc...I don't know how long they've been around to be honest, I've only recently found out about them myself....I never knew they made them.

I really like the ultra-thin ribbons they have now...the last few sets I had made at Camp Lejeune were the thin ones and really liked them.

Zebra29er
05-05-09, 09:07 PM
For the past 10 years , I think its been that long, at the Vietnam and All Veterans Reunion in Melbourne Fl. the vender's have been selling the mini ribbons and pins that look like a ribbon .

Sgt Leprechaun
05-16-09, 06:59 AM
That is correct, the VA, and other veterans organizations, have been pushing this idea for a number of years. Personally, I LIKE the mini medals instead of the ribbons, and I wear mine on both Memorial, and Veterans, day. I place them on the left side of a polo or collar shirt. The mini medals really stand out and look sharp. Well worth doing.

usmcthetop
05-31-09, 11:06 PM

This covers "medals" at formal ceremonies/events which isn't exactly the same as just wearing ribbons on civilian clothing. Like was mentioned before many vets wear them on their caps ect..

Petz
05-31-09, 11:45 PM
yeah, grunt.com has pins for all your medals and ribbons ... you can wear those however you want... but "military issue" items are not authorized and you are governed by the MCOs that are out there when wearing them.

is there going to be an inspector? no... but you'll know you are nasty and in the wrong... just go with the pins (remember they make the medals too)

wsky9er
05-31-09, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by wsky9er http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=485276#post485276)

In reading the whole order, I interpeted it as meaning you can only wear regulation full size or mini medals on suit coats, blazers or tuxedos. You can't wear regulation ribbons on civilian attire unless you wear them in combination with medals on the right side of the jacket. I personally wear
the mini pin medals and ribbons on my hats and caps. But I guess as Veterans, we can pretty much do what we want. :thumbup: :beer:

ggyoung
06-01-09, 05:37 PM
If I remember right you can call Sgt. Grit, have a had made up with you ribbons on the left side as I remember. If the the guy is a combat vet and has his ribbons on his t-shirt I for one will not say a thing. He has earned that right.

rossjdiver
01-05-10, 08:46 PM
The current MCO P1020.34F states the following concerning civilian clothes.:marine: <br />
<br />
5105. DECORATIONS, MEDALS, RIBBON BARS, AND LAPEL BUTTONS WORN ON CIVILIAN CLOTHING <br />
1. Decorations, medals,...

sscjoe
01-05-10, 09:45 PM
At this point in time, I wear what I rate when I want to. I'm not to concerned about MCO's

MLMonk
01-05-10, 09:48 PM
At this point in time, I wear what I rate when I want to. I'm not to concerned about MCO's

I don't think us new guys are really going to start **** with you about it anyway, lol.

echo3oscar1833
01-05-10, 09:50 PM

Im going to report you to the "Ribbon Police" haha :D

sscjoe
01-05-10, 10:22 PM
Matt, feel free to bust'em on me anytime. Ben, you look pretty squard away in the new profile photo.

Komenko
01-05-10, 11:56 PM
my wife bought me a really cool Marine Corps ball cap for christmas, it has "USMC" threaded in and bulging out. Last summer i took my son to see the USS Midway in San Diego harbor. in the gift shop it had the mini metals pins and i got the Good Conduct, Iraq Campaign, and National Defence. all i'm missing is th GWOT. My wife saw my eyes light up like a little kid cause the pins had stayed on a piece of cardboard backing from the Midway since then and i put the two together and i think it looks really good!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-06-10, 01:59 AM

LOL!!!!! I sure wouldn't. And I wear my mini medals when I think the occasion warrants it, usually with a suit/tie at some formal thing.

I'm just happy to see people wearing their stuff, quite honestly :)

Captain Kirk
01-06-10, 06:47 PM
I wear Ribbons for apropriate holidays on Suit coat or Jacket.