PDA

View Full Version : Torn amongst Branches

Draco771
05-02-09, 03:14 PM
Either way, I have to wait until March of next year before I'm eligible for Enlistment. (Long story, long story short, MEPS can't do Optometry Examinations properly, because their numbers are disturbingly way off)

I've been wanting to join the Infantry, (Army, or Marine, no offense to anybody, but it doesn't make any real difference to me, especially considering my personal lack of military experience) and also wanting to join the Army's Ranger Regiment, but by looks of things, either way, I may be forever stuck in "Leg Land" as they call it.

Another aspiration of mine, is becoming a Medic. I've been hearing so much regarding Corpsman on Corpsman.com and have been hearing so much of Army Medics, and Corpsman via facebook groups, and other things like that.

And also been hearing all the feedback from Marines via yahoo messanger etc. who've taken the time to speak to me in deeper conversations.

I'm torn between wanting the Infantry, and Wanting to be a Medic.

And than on that same note, I'm torn between Army, Navy, and Marine Corps.

Army/Marines because of the Infantry
Army/Navy because of Medic/Corpsman

I know very few Corpsman who, after going into the FMF haven't gone to get their NREMT-B/Is, and very few 68Ws who haven't gone to get their NREMT-I as well.

Any advice?

I know this is a Marine site, and you guys "Run the show" here. No arguments at all, nor any ****ing matches.

Just looking for a "wider variety" in opinions if you don't mind.

Either way, whether if I want to or not, I'm not eligible for Enlistment until 2010 because of a MEPS Screw up on my vision recordings. (seriously huge screw up)

Any advice?

Gunner614
05-02-09, 04:04 PM
Repost this in the Ask A Marine forum, Poolees arn't really supposed to post here.

Draco771
05-02-09, 04:08 PM
Repost this in the Ask A Marine forum, Poolees arn't really supposed to post here.

The what?

I don't have an "Ask A Marine forum" on my list of forums???

My forum list from last time I came on here, is missing a lot of forums.

I apologize regarding this Marines.

Would a Mod mind moving this to the "Ask A Marine" forum?

It may pop up on my list.

I remember that forum, but assumed it was removed because it didn't/doesn't appear on my list of forums.

My apologies.

FistFu68
05-02-09, 04:50 PM
:evilgrin: Join the Air Force Para Rescues,become a Combat Medic w/them;A U.S.Army Ranger couldn't wipe tha' Fudge outta those Men's Skivvies!!!:evilgrin: :iwo:

semperfi170
05-02-09, 07:30 PM

READ THE RULES YOURSELF AND OBEY THEM! You could have sent him a private message.

Draco771
05-02-09, 07:38 PM
READ THE RULES YOURSELF AND OBEY THEM! You could have sent him a private message.

Gunnery Sergeant, I apologize, it's my fault.

For some reason I'm having technical errors on my end. Only forums I can see are the main Marine Forums, of which last time I was here, there were many more forums.

Of which I'm unable to locate, due to a technical difficulty it seems my computer is having.

Would it be possible to, by chance get this topic moved to the appropriate forum?

I sincerely apologize Gunnery Sergeant, I didn't intend to put this in the wrong forum, but couldn't find any other forum that would be appropriate to put this thread in.

Also trying to get in contact with a Mod or Admin in regards to if I've had priviledges revoked for whatever reason, preventing me from viewing the other forums with exception to the Marine Corps forum.

I sincerely apologize Gunnery Sergeant. It is my fault, and I bare full responsibility.

Integrity57
05-02-09, 09:01 PM
Honestly man, Corpsmen aren't any more special than Army Medics, the only difference is they serve with Marines in Marine Units, not just Grunt Units, but logistics units and everything else. I've met several FMF Corpsmen since I joined the Navy, I had an HM1 as an RDC (DI in Corps terms) in Boot Camp and have had 4 Corpsmen for roommates since graduationg Boot. They have the broadest spectrum when it comes to choices of billets, they serve on ships, in hospitals and clinics, in Grunt units, Logistics units, Recon, Force Recon, SEAL, SWCC, EOD, and many other units. Of course the Air Force PJs are badass too, they work with Army Special Forces alot from what I understand, as do Army Medics so long as the make it through Special Forces Indoc or whatever they call it. The choice is yours man, weigh your options and make the choice you want to make.

SGT7477
05-02-09, 10:05 PM
Either way, I have to wait until March of next year before I'm eligible for Enlistment. (Long story, long story short, MEPS can't do Optometry Examinations properly, because their numbers are disturbingly way off)

I've been wanting to join the Infantry, (Army, or Marine, no offense to anybody, but it doesn't make any real difference to me, especially considering my personal lack of military experience) and also wanting to join the Army's Ranger Regiment, but by looks of things, either way, I may be forever stuck in "Leg Land" as they call it.

Another aspiration of mine, is becoming a Medic. I've been hearing so much regarding Corpsman on Corpsman.com and have been hearing so much of Army Medics, and Corpsman via facebook groups, and other things like that.

And also been hearing all the feedback from Marines via yahoo messanger etc. who've taken the time to speak to me in deeper conversations.

I'm torn between wanting the Infantry, and Wanting to be a Medic.

And than on that same note, I'm torn between Army, Navy, and Marine Corps.

Army/Marines because of the Infantry
Army/Navy because of Medic/Corpsman

I know very few Corpsman who, after going into the FMF haven't gone to get their NREMT-B/Is, and very few 68Ws who haven't gone to get their NREMT-I as well.

Any advice?

I know this is a Marine site, and you guys "Run the show" here. No arguments at all, nor any ****ing matches.

Just looking for a "wider variety" in opinions if you don't mind.

Either way, whether if I want to or not, I'm not eligible for Enlistment until 2010 because of a MEPS Screw up on my vision recordings. (seriously huge screw up)

Any advice?
This is A MARINE site and nothing else.:evilgrin:

Draco771
05-02-09, 10:08 PM
This is A MARINE site and nothing else.:evilgrin:

Yes Sergeant.

mbrazil
05-04-09, 12:14 AM
The Marine Corps is all about dedication and brotherhood. The term "Semper Fidelis" signifies the dedication and loyalty that every Marine has for Corps, country and each other.

If you arent 110% dedicated to becoming one of the Few and the Proud then you should not join the Marines. If you want to be a part of the most fierce fighting force in the world, and will do anything to get there, the Marines want you.

You don't sound too motivated though...

That's my opinion.

JWDevilDog
05-04-09, 02:58 AM
You don't sound too motivated though...

I got this same impression. If you truly wanted to be a Marine, you would feel it in your gut.

In terms of infantry vs. corpsmen. There is a very simple answer to that question. Would you rather kill bodies or save bodies? Answer that, then you'll know.

Of course, it gets more complicated from there. Navy Corpsmen who are stationed with infantry units do both jobs, of course. And Marine infantrymen are trained to basically administer first aid (well, all Marines are).

Personally I say go the Corpsmen route, but I don't place much hope in the hands of the Army....

thewookie
05-04-09, 09:39 AM
I got this same impression. If you truly wanted to be a Marine, you would feel it in your gut.

I disagree with you slightly, not totally, but here's my spin on it.

If you want to be the best, then you will feel it in your stomach and join the Marines.

The reason why I tweaked your statement is because he might be like many of us who joined, but didn't do it because we had tons of Corps knowledge, but we knew we wanted to be tested amongst the fiercest and join the best branch.

Once many of us earned the title that's when the esprit de corps kicked in.

There are specialized units that may or may not be "technically" the best. But pound for pound, by and large, ask anyone - the best branch is the United States Marine Corps.

So you either want to be the best from the get go or you want to work towards achieving it in some specialized unit where you may or may not ultimately make it.

Maybe the SEALs are the baddest of the BAD, but if you don't make it you're going to be chipping paint, you get my drift.

Every Marine is treated the same way, and once you earn the title - you are part of the club and there is no need to earn anything greater.

Unless you choose to.

End of discussion.:)

Rocky C
05-04-09, 03:40 PM
I disagree with you slightly, not totally, but here's my spin on it.

If you want to be the best, then you will feel it in your stomach and join the Marines.

The reason why I tweaked your statement is because he might be like many of us who joined, but didn't do it because we had tons of Corps knowledge, but we knew we wanted to be tested amongst the fiercest and join the best branch.

Once many of us earned the title that's when the esprit de corps kicked in.

There are specialized units that may or may not be "technically" the best. But pound for pound, by and large, ask anyone - the best branch is the United States Marine Corps.

So you either want to be the best from the get go or you want to work towards achieving it in some specialized unit where you may or may not ultimately make it.

Maybe the SEALs are the baddest of the BAD, but if you don't make it you're going to be chipping paint, you get my drift.

Every Marine is treated the same way, and once you earn the title - you are part of the club and there is no need to earn anything greater.

Unless you choose to.

End of discussion.:)

Well Said Wookie!!!:thumbup: All of a sudden I'm all tingley inside.
Semper Fi My Brother,
Rocky

DGardner
05-04-09, 08:31 PM

Then go get your NREMT-B/I85/I99/P now. Then you won't have to worry about getting it when/if you come out.

JWDevilDog
05-04-09, 09:49 PM
Well said, Sgt. I agree with your modification of my post entirely.

Semper Fi.

Integrity57
05-04-09, 09:59 PM
I'd like to add to my previous statement; Serve in the military because you want to serve, because you want to do what many say they would do if circumstances were different (if they had a pair of balls in other words.) Don't do it for the money because the money sucks, you'll make far more in the civilian world. We all do what we do because this is only way to do it, sure some MOS's have civilian counterparts, but those civilians don't wear the uniforms we wear and don't know the pride that comes from it. Just find out what YOU want most and set your sights on accomplishing that goal.

phantasm
05-05-09, 07:29 AM
I served on AD in the US Navy 1999-2002. What I learned then is that the military is way of life, it's not just something you do for a few years and then it's over. The Navy is a good branch for high tech jobs, you'll do a lot of traveling and get to go places most people only dream of. Be advised though, if you fail your 'A' school you'll be sent to deck dept. in the fleet. What awaits you there is long hours of senseless work to include cleaning and chipping paint. You'll pull into foreign country's only to watch only people go on liberty while you're entire division's liberty is suspended until the ship is repainted. lol. This is not an over exaggeration, it happened to me on several occasion although I volunteered for deck dept. I left the Navy as a BM3.

From 2004-2006 I served in the FLARNG as an 11B assigned to a heavy weapons company. My time here taught me that every branch has it ****bag's for members. I had the misfortune of serving with a guy here who went AWOL whenever he could from drill or AT because to him it was pure BS. At the same time some of my closest friends I met in this unit. I couldn't tell you what AD Army is like, but I hear the Navy has better Corpsman (medics in the army). Having known quite a few Corpsman, they're some good guys. I don't suggest you call them pecker-checkers unless you're on good terms with them. The term human pin cushion comes to mind.

In the end it's you're decision. After serving as I have previously I'm working with a recruiter to try for the USMC Reserves. I don't feel I've done enough or accomplished enough, at 27 (almost 28) yrs old I'm not getting any younger. Best of luck in your decision.

mbrazil
05-05-09, 11:39 AM
Did we scare him off?

05-05-09, 12:09 PM
Hey, brazil, your sig sez ship date 20090504. You posting from MCRD? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

mbrazil
05-05-09, 12:32 PM
Hey, brazil, your sig sez ship date 20090504. You posting from MCRD? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Yea they let you go on myspace and everything :marine:

mbrazil
05-05-09, 12:33 PM
No, actually my ship date got postponed till the 26th and I haven't changed it in my sig yet. Thanks for pointing that out.

05-05-09, 09:59 PM
Here's something you'll hear about a million times while you're at MCRD, "Attention to detail!!!"

JWDevilDog
05-06-09, 02:00 AM
Here's something you'll hear about a million times while you're at MCRD, "Attention to detail!!!"

Hahahahahahah, oh the memories...