PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining 03xx another way?

thaners
05-02-09, 01:22 PM
I leave for basic 20090511, which is pretty soon. I joined Marine DEP 6 weeks ago hoping to obtain 03xx. I thought it wouldn't be a problem as well as my recruiter. 03xx slots are filled to the brim for the parameters of my ship date. I'm not changing my ship date, I want to be a MARINE first and far most. I've shuffled threw posts and from what I've read it's almost impossible to just request this from a DI at basic or by other means. My next option would be a body job, field radio operator.

First, is there any way to secure 03xx through basic? Second, would it be better to go open contract or secure another field like 06xx and hopefully be station with an Infantry Unit.

I wonder how many rules i've broken?

thaners
05-02-09, 03:06 PM
Some insight about my 06xx choice. In a few years, hopefully able to serve 1-2 tours I would like to give recon a shot. Please don't confuse this with a 18 year old HS wish. There is much discipline, training, and knowledge I still need to acquire. Including TIS and rank. I do know that things change all the time, as well as my decision might. Further insight, I was on the swim team 2 years throughout HS and also ran cross country for 3 years. I stay in top physical shape, as well as peruse higher educational achievments. I scored a 92 on my ASVAB, a 141 GT. From what I've read Field Radio Operator would be my second best choice to pursue my higher goal. I understand that I have a chance of being stationed with Infantry or even possibly Recon. However I do not know the extent of truth to this. Also there is a gamble of becoming something else in the 06xx field. I would still like to secure 03xx if possible.

gc5953
05-02-09, 04:31 PM
When I went through MCT, at the end they asked if anyone wanted to stick around and be a grunt, and there were a few who did. That was a long time ago, though (Dec 2001) and I have no idea if they still do that.

thaners
05-02-09, 04:38 PM
Do you know if they had open contracts only or a mix of people with secured also?

I appreciate it.

degenerate138
05-02-09, 04:41 PM
By the time you leave MCT you know what your MOS is going to be.

thaners
05-02-09, 04:44 PM
So I should speak up at MCT, haggling at boot camp would be a waste?

gc5953
05-02-09, 05:26 PM
Once again, remember that this was 7 years ago. OK, at the beginning of MCT they called out maybe ten names - those guys were open contracts who were being sent to the infantry. Very unhappy crew they were. The rest of open contracts went through MCT. We didn't know our MOS for sure until the last night at MCT when they read them off on a list. Some people got unpleasant surprises at that point. I thought I was one for a moment - my contract was supposed to be for avionics, and they read off my name with 5800. The MPs. The sgt had just read the list wrong, though. It was then, after the MOS roll call, that they asked if anyone wanted to move to the infantry.

This was right after 9/11, so maybe they only did it then because they figured they were going to need more grunts. Who knows. All I can speak to is my own experience.

semperfi170
05-02-09, 07:32 PM
in order to become a Marine you go to Boot Camp, not Basic!

thaners
05-02-09, 07:39 PM
Once again, remember that this was 7 years ago. OK, at the beginning of MCT they called out maybe ten names - those guys were open contracts who were being sent to the infantry. Very unhappy crew they were. The rest of open contracts went through MCT. We didn't know our MOS for sure until the last night at MCT when they read them off on a list. Some people got unpleasant surprises at that point. I thought I was one for a moment - my contract was supposed to be for avionics, and they read off my name with 5800. The MPs. The sgt had just read the list wrong, though. It was then, after the MOS roll call, that they asked if anyone wanted to move to the infantry.

This was right after 9/11, so maybe they only did it then because they figured they were going to need more grunts. Who knows. All I can speak to is my own experience.

Thanks for the insight and time. Much appreciated.

thaners
05-02-09, 07:40 PM
in order to become a Marine you go to Boot Camp, not Basic!

Sorry sir. I don't know why I wrote "basic" then boot camp later in a reply. Will not happen again. Thank you.

JoeInVille
05-02-09, 09:14 PM
YUT, they may give you the option, dunno.

thewookie
05-02-09, 09:21 PM
Boot camp isn't the place to haggle, but it's the first place and you're "raw" in the system so it might be the best shot you have to haggle.

thaners
05-02-09, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Taking all suggestions.

thaners
05-03-09, 12:33 AM
Late night bump.

JWDevilDog
05-03-09, 12:50 AM
In all honesty you are not very likely to get into the 03xx field if it closed out right now. In most cases, recruiters do everything in their power to get poolees into the field they desire. They can't do anything about it, neither can the rest of the Marine Corps, if the field is closed out.

Yes, field radio operators have a shot of getting stationed with 03s.

When I went through MCT about a year and a half ago, no one changed their contracts. There was not the option of going infantry if you didn't already have that contract (which, since we were at MCT and not ITB, none of us did).

thaners
05-03-09, 12:52 AM
Thanks Devildog.

Joy a radio.

thewookie
05-03-09, 05:58 AM
Thanks Devildog.

Joy a radio.

BTW, that's a slippery slope you are walking on calling a Marine a devildog. I know what the intent was, but I don't think you should do that until you earn it yourself. Strangely enough, some Marines take offense to being called devildog, be careful. Just my early morning thoughts....

JWDevilDog
05-03-09, 06:58 AM
I never take offense to being called "devil dog." I think it is a privilege and an honor. However, I sort of agree with the Sergeant that it is dangerous for a civilian to call a Marine by a nickname (such as leatherneck, jar-head, gyrene, devil dog, etc.) until they have earned the Title.

thaners
05-03-09, 09:35 AM
Sorry about that. I was referring to your user name but I can see the context. Won't happen again.

gc5953
05-03-09, 10:35 AM
There was not the option of going infantry if you didn't already have that contract (which, since we were at MCT and not ITB, none of us did).

And there you have it. Things have changed since Dec 01 - what a surprise! heh....

thaners
05-03-09, 03:40 PM
And there you have it. Things have changed since Dec 01 - what a surprise! heh....

Well I hope there's some type of window. I doubt the DI's have any control over it unless the Marine Corps needs to fill slots.

In which case, I hope they do. A week to go.

jbf101
05-04-09, 11:58 PM
There aren't many boat spaces for 03's right now, i know quite a few people who intended on re-enlisting but were unable to because of it. Unless you have a contract i would've count on getting it.

thaners
05-05-09, 12:28 AM
Thanks jbf. Appreciate the time.