PDA

View Full Version : Just got my "Welcome Aboard" stuff at MEPS and...

Zaiik
05-01-09, 10:37 PM
Inside there is one of those circular "United States Marine Corps" stickers you often see on cars with the EGA in the middle, and another with the same EGA and such on it, but says "Proud Parent of a U.S. Marine".

That got me wondering, this package is, of course, intended specifically for Poolees, but these stickers seem to be intended for actual Marines. Is it ok to go ahead and throw these on my car/my dad's truck/whatever, or should I hold on to them until I'm out of Recruit Training?

JMReynolds111
05-01-09, 10:49 PM
Is it ok to go ahead and throw these on my car/my dad's truck/whatever, or should I hold on to them until I'm out of Recruit Training?

I asked the exact same question to my recruiter, he said sure it's fine. It means your motivated, but he did mention don't overload it with stickers, like some poolees will seriously drown their vehicle in stickers, i just have that one sticker and my recruiter said that's perfectly fine.

MarinesFTW
05-01-09, 10:59 PM
Do the USMC one but do the do the parent one for you are not a Marine yet.

JMReynolds111
05-01-09, 11:03 PM
Do the USMC one but do the do the parent one for you are not a Marine yet.

I believe its ok, but just ask your recruiter, he'd know the best answer.

MLMonk
05-01-09, 11:43 PM
It doesn't matter really. 1 or 100 stickers, they will all say the same thing. And yes, I did put those Marine stickers on the back of my mom's car 5 months before bootcamp, and they are still there.

BGW
05-01-09, 11:58 PM
I choose to have no marine stickers of any kind posted on the vehicles. Just because I am not a Marine yet. In fact, not even a recruit. So I would feel a little odd to have those stickers on the vehicles. But of course that is my own personal feeling on it. Every one is different.

When i graduate the stickers are going on. That is fore sure

DGardner
05-01-09, 11:58 PM
You can always take them off if you don't make it.

I threw a nice US Marines bumper sticker on my car while I was in the DEP, and it's till there... barely.

futurepoole08
05-02-09, 12:53 AM
My recruiter told me to not put the ones from the "welcome aboard" package on our vehicles. Said you don't want to be jinxed by it. So Gunny handed my mom and dad a few magnets and other stickers and told them they could put those on because my brothers being Marines. So both the stickers that came in the tin box are on my moms mirror, still with the backing on them turned backwards. So the day I graduate I can put them on her vehicle and my step-dads.

Achped
05-02-09, 06:10 AM
Wow, taking it a bit far huh? Its just a ****ing sticker.

Ironically when you get into the Corps you will want to go places and actually NOT want to be noticed as a Marine...

sparkie
05-02-09, 07:40 AM
If you put that sticker on, { I'm not saying not to], be ready for some old salt to walk up and start talking to ya. I do it all the time. Better have a good answer.Most likely you will not get chewed for it.

And Achped, I understand your answer, but believe me,,,,, It's temperary.

SGT7477
05-02-09, 08:18 AM
If you put that sticker on, { I'm not saying not to], be ready for some old salt to walk up and start talking to ya. I do it all the time. Better have a good answer.Most likely you will not get chewed for it.

And Achped, I understand your answer, but believe me,,,,, It's temperary.
It depends on the Marine.:D

Sgt Jim
05-02-09, 09:42 AM
Have the Marine Lic. plate on the front of my truck,Semper Fi on the back window.My motorcycle has United States Marine Corps on the windshield and a Marine patch on the sissy bar bag.you will aways know that there is a Marine on board,Coming or going

Marine84
05-02-09, 02:42 PM
Hold on to the "Proud Parent" stickers til you make it, then give it to them.

And, everybody knows there's a Marine here too. Tag on the car says "WM4LIFE", Veteran flag decal in front window and 2 Marine Corps stickers on back bumper.

benw2200
05-02-09, 02:50 PM
Do the USMC one but do[n't] [do] the parent one for you are not a Marine yet.

This makes absolutely no sense....?

If you're parents don't rate to say they're parents of a future Marine, what makes you rate to have a Marine sticker on your vehicle?

Personally, I think there's no problem in putting USMC stickers on your car, wearing USMC shirts, etc.. as long as you are preparing for boot camp and seriously intend to enlist and become a Marine. Maybe it's just this site, but I think people get way too uptight about stuff like this.. "You said oorah and you're not a Marine, how dare you???!!!"

I might catch some flak for saying this, but it's how I feel. Don't get it twisted.. I'm damn proud to be a Marine, but I think a lot of people take it too far and get butthurt over stupid stuff. Put the stickers on your vehicles if you feel like it. I did before I went to boot, and it didn't jinx anything.

SS109
05-03-09, 05:36 PM
it's a sticker

Zaiik
05-03-09, 06:18 PM
Wow, taking it a bit far huh? Its just a ****ing sticker.

Ironically when you get into the Corps you will want to go places and actually NOT want to be noticed as a Marine...

Sorry Corporal, I've just seen some Marines get a bit protective of things of that nature, and wanted to see if it was a minority or a majority before I just stuck them on my car or whatever.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Coincidentally, my car broke down today so it's not going anywhere anytime soon anyway.

Rains
05-03-09, 07:06 PM
When I got that package I gave the sticker to my dad (the one that says Proud Parent Of A U.S Marine) and told him to keep it until I made it through boot camp... But then one day I come home and the damn sticker is on my moms van... she had gotten a little ahead of the game and put it on...haha
Im like ****.. im goin to get a trouble if my recruiter see's this ****, because im not a Marine yet... but when he came to drop me off from a Poole function he was all cool with it, said he liked it.

so judging from that, and what people have said to your thread already.. just let your parents put it on, haha.

johnb08
05-05-09, 02:01 PM
+1 benw2200..

Honestly I think it's people on this forum, I've never had anyone say anything to me in public other than "Are you a Marine?" and I tell them I'm in the DEP and that I'm waiting to go to Recruit Training/