PDA

View Full Version : FAFSA, Veteran Status

ehyun55
05-01-09, 08:19 PM
as a reservist, my NCOIC told me i was allowed to claim myself as a veteran on fafsa. i did so, and my school is asking for a member 4 copy of my dd214.
still being a current, drilling reservist would i even have a member 4 copy? i have a member 1 copy, and i submitted that, but my financial aid office is asking for a member four copy.

on of my buddies at my unit who is a 92 day reservist apparently did the same thing, but his office didnt ask for the member four copy.

is what i did illegal?

oldtop
05-04-09, 12:36 PM
Not illegal, but you should have Member 4 copy, expecially if you have member 1 copy. Member 4 is the long form, that has RE code, Character of Service, and Reason for Seperation.

thewookie
05-04-09, 12:48 PM
as a reservist, my NCOIC told me i was allowed to claim myself as a veteran on fafsa. i did so, and my school is asking for a member 4 copy of my dd214.
still being a current, drilling reservist would i even have a member 4 copy? i have a member 1 copy, and i submitted that, but my financial aid office is asking for a member four copy.

on of my buddies at my unit who is a 92 day reservist apparently did the same thing, but his office didnt ask for the member four copy.

is what i did illegal?

I've claimed Veteran status on a FAFSA and they never asked for proof, that sounds odd? Although, now that I think about my school has my 214 from when I was using the GI bill. So maybe that is why, but it still seems odd that they would ask.

thewookie
05-04-09, 12:50 PM
Not illegal, but you should have Member 4 copy, expecially if you have member 1 copy. Member 4 is the long form, that has RE code, Character of Service, and Reason for Seperation.

I assume that they are asking for the long form because they are trying to confirm character of service and/ or RE code since you're applying for government financial aid???

ehyun55
05-04-09, 06:20 PM
yeah, its weird. my VA office should just be able to tell them that i am receiving veteran benefits.

i have the member 1 copy, and thats the form i got after i go out from active duty training before i headed into the reserves. but i never got a member 4 copy

ehyun55
05-04-09, 06:26 PM
btw i just submitted my Sf180 form. Does anyone know how long that usually takes to get back?

yanacek
05-04-09, 08:21 PM
Have you looked for a copy in your SRB? It should be there. If it is, have admin make a copy, then have a commissioned officer certify it true. That should placate the financial aid people.