PDA

View Full Version : "Pinning"

bhaderkhan
05-01-09, 01:02 PM
Does anybody know where the 'tradition' of pinning came from when a marine gets promoted? We're having a promotion ceremony this afternoon, and I was thinking about it, wondering what the story was on it.

TJR1070
05-01-09, 01:27 PM
Do they still pin your chevrons on directly to your chest? I would have thought that was hazing.

bhaderkhan
05-01-09, 01:32 PM
No, they only pin through the collar of the blouse, like normal. But I'm talking about 'pinning' - after the ceremony when some other marines by whatever means they can come up with, force the chevrons into your chest. Yeah, it is hazing, but still happens.

TJR1070
05-01-09, 02:09 PM
When I got promoted to Corporal my Squadron CO pinned my chevrons directly into my chest then the First Sgt. and then my OIC. Once that was done at formation that evening everyone that was my rank or above was encouraged to stay so that they each could punch you once in each arm and knee you once in each leg. That must have been why they promoted me on a Friday. That wasn't called hazing it was called getting your bloodstripes and you were expected to buy everyone beer that night with your extra pay. Ahhhhh the good ol' days.

390 Mach I
05-01-09, 04:14 PM
When I got promoted to Corporal my Squadron CO pinned my chevrons directly into my chest then the First Sgt. and then my OIC. Once that was done at formation that evening everyone that was my rank or above was encouraged to stay so that they each could punch you once in each arm and knee you once in each leg. That must have been why they promoted me on a Friday. That wasn't called hazing it was called getting your bloodstripes and you were expected to buy everyone beer that night with your extra pay. Ahhhhh the good ol' days.

Yep, same thing for me too.

Sgt Jim
05-01-09, 04:18 PM
Had a rough time getting my arms above head after picking up Sgt

Range Coach
05-01-09, 04:19 PM
Same thing here with the added "requirement" when I was promoted to sergeant...that evening, my promotion warrant was posted behind the bar and I had to "wet it down" by buying a full round of drinks for the house. I still have my tab ticket...it cost me $47.

SGT7477
05-01-09, 05:33 PM
No, they only pin through the collar of the blouse, like normal. But I'm talking about 'pinning' - after the ceremony when some other marines by whatever means they can come up with, force the chevrons into your chest. Yeah, it is hazing, but still happens.
Never forget them painful days, Btw capitalize Marines.:flag:

SSgt Ramsey
05-02-09, 09:29 AM
This is about the most stupid and wrong "tradition" we have as Marine's...

Marine's don't hurt Marine's....what is so difficult to understand.....

A guy I knew at Cherry Point got "pinned" one day by a GySgt who kneed him in the leg to "pin" his blood stripe on. Unfortunately, he hit the poor kid in the knee and broke it, ruining him forever.

Yeah, that's really great leadership there.

When is it going to stop??

What happened to a handshake and something like "hey, congrats Marine"..

It's stupid, it's technically assault, and should NOT be condoned in any form....why would we hurt that which we cherish??

Sgt Jim
05-02-09, 11:02 AM
SSgt Ramsey sometimes old tradition are hard to break,earned those stripes,got them pinned and got the hand shake also,It,s been a Marine thing and most likely will still be around after we are long gone to our next tour of duty.Semper FI Brother

SSgt Ramsey
05-02-09, 11:07 AM
Completely understand, but that doesn't make it right.... <br />
<br />
I got &quot;pinned&quot; as a Cpl, and I beat the holy hell out of my Platoon Sgt also requiring him to have stitches and a broken nose when Mr...

CplHawk
05-02-09, 11:22 AM
A guy I knew at Cherry Point got "pinned" one day by a GySgt who kneed him in the leg to "pin" his blood stripe on. Unfortunately, he hit the poor kid in the knee and broke it, ruining him forever.

SSgt Ramsey, I know exactly what you mean. When I picked up Corporal, one of my Sergeants was on leave. When he got back and noticed that he'd missed my promotion, he pulled me aside so he could have his turn pinning me. When I was younger I broke my collar bone (twice) and it is somewhat deformed (no physical hinderance though) where it is a little lower than the other one. When he pinned my collar, he did it so hard that the chevron stuck into the bone; that hurt like hell! Even worse, when he got me for the blood stripe he slipped a little just like the guy you knew, hit me in the knee. I dunno if it would have been better for him to hit my thigh full force or that he hit my knee with less because of the slip because my knee didn't have any permanent damage; couldn't walk for a couple of days but other than that I was fine. As far as the whole "tradition" of it goes, though, it is now definitely considered hazing. In my A school, anyone who would "pin" another Marine for promotion would get NJP'd; add insult to injury, the Marine who received the "pin" would also be NJP'd for allowing the hazing. That's stupid, I know; sometimes Marines were held down so they couldn't get away (they wouldn't have tried to run except that they didn't want to get in trouble), yet if the senior Marines found out about it, the new promotee still got NJP'd. I saw a couple of Marines pick up rank one day only to be put on restriction with extra duties the next.

gc5953
05-02-09, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately,some people take things to extremes. When I got pinned, it was just enough to break the skin - some slaps on the collar. I have, however, seen some guys wind up and punch as hard as they can, and once, like Cpl Hawk, I saw a kid get pinned so hard that the pin stuck in the bone. That's just plain stupid.

CplHawk
05-02-09, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately,some people take things to extremes. When I got pinned, it was just enough to break the skin - some slaps on the collar. I have, however, seen some guys wind up and punch as hard as they can, and once, like Cpl Hawk, I saw a kid get pinned so hard that the pin stuck in the bone. That's just plain stupid.
hurts like hell gettin it out, too! :evilgrin:

HurricaneRJ
05-03-09, 12:21 AM
Today's problem with pinning or hazing is that Marines take it too far.

I got my leg "dead checked" once and I couldn't walk for three days. Leg swelled up and had to take meds for it.

If an act done to a Marine doesnt't make him faster, stronger, or smarter than why do it to him? This "Macho" attitude is going to bite someone one day. I hate being called a ***** just because I rather not get my arms punched until they turn black.

Petz
05-03-09, 04:10 AM
I was tapped on the rank without backings and it actually hit a vein... had a giant blood spot on my cammies, and I didn't even know it until the corpsman started freaking out... hahah, he went to the 1st Sgt to say I was hazed... but honestly, you can squeeze someones shoulder harder than that tap was... he even said oops not realizing I didn't have the frogs on.

it was pretty funny.

as a Lance I got it stuck in my bone... didn't hurt, just pulled it out.

Cpl got the blood stripes... but after the first 5 I told them to stop unless they want some blood running down their nose... 'course we were deploying so no one really cared.

Sgt was just plan old promotion... boring really.

I'd say that back in the day when chevrons weren't pins like what we have now and were sewn on the old uniforms they hit it in order to "keep" it there... that's my guess.

PaidinBlood
05-03-09, 12:19 PM
saved my bloody skivvie shirt for a few years. after i got "pinned" there was a platoon brawl on the basketball court. all in all it is good fun and a decent tradition, ruined only by a few crybabies and a few more retards

Marine1955
05-03-09, 02:53 PM
Boy somethings don't change do they, when I a made corporal, they lined up on both sides of you and you had everyone same rank and above you pin your strips on and give you your blood strip then if you could walk you went to your job and worked. we had one kid got promoted and as soon as he got his promotion and was dismissed from formation he took out running like a bat from hell. No one caught him until that evening and he begged to buy all the beer so that he wouldn't get pinned.
Those were some very good days.

Petz
05-03-09, 05:14 PM
yeah '55 they started frowning on that stuff when a kid couldn't walk anymore after he went through the "gaunlet" ... making them go through one way is fine so long as you aren't hitting hard enough to break his legs... a tap is fine 'cause after 20 Marines it'll be sore.

but this kid sued 'cause he couldn't walk afterwards... something about nerve damage.

echo3oscar1833
05-03-09, 07:57 PM
I got pinned when I picked up Lance, by my fellow Lance's. That was pretty simple, nothing violent. When I had my b-day in 29-Palms during CAX that was a different story. I got my arm fuc$ed up that night, the whole damn platoon took turns molly whooping the ****$ outa my right arm. Next damn morning from my shoulder down to my elbow was black and blue. It almost looked as if it had been painted. Tell you what though, I don't regret any part of it, to me it was all good fun.:D

Marine1955
05-03-09, 08:10 PM
yeah '55 they started frowning on that stuff when a kid couldn't walk anymore after he went through the "gaunlet" ... making them go through one way is fine so long as you aren't hitting hard enough to break his legs... a tap is fine 'cause after 20 Marines it'll be sore.

but this kid sued 'cause he couldn't walk afterwards... something about nerve damage.
Yea I know it was a bit*h getting the crap beat out of you. Hell I was ugly enough without there help. Just was putting my two cents in and man some guys could come from right field and lay you out.

cleerje
05-03-09, 10:04 PM
Yeah, getting pinned hurts. I didn't enjoy that tradition one bit.

PaidinBlood
05-03-09, 10:52 PM
Yeah, getting pinned hurts. I didn't enjoy that tradition one bit.

got a lil sand in there, pal? :D

kempo63
05-04-09, 03:08 AM
Last "pinning" I remember from around '82 involved three guys getting promoted to Lance in front of the whole battalion. Top came out and said that the Corps didn't condone pinning anymore so none of us were allowed to touch those three. He then walked up to each one of them and swung from Texas and knocked all three in turn on their asses. Worked for us!

http://kempo63.com/sig.png
http://kempo63.com (http://kempo63.com/)

TJR1070
05-04-09, 07:41 AM
I don't believe in hurting another Marine, but what's wrong with a few love taps. I remember the gauntlet being almost a reflection of your relationships with your peers. If you were a ****bird you probably wouldn't be able to move the next day, if you were respected alot of your peers didn't try to kill you. Although that theory won't work for all jarheads.

KawiGunny
05-04-09, 08:07 AM
Pinning is ok if it is kept to certain restraints. Swinging like you are trying to tear someones arm off is just to much. Or trying to stick the chevron to the bone. I was even pinned when I picked up GySgt. My Bn CO pinned me in front of the other SNCO's and officers. It was all good. Me and him went back to when I was a LCpl and he was a fresh butter bar straight out of school. He slapped them pretty good but not hard enough to try to draw blood. As long as it is done as a tradition and not as a means of trying to hurt someone, I don't really mind. Everyone just needs to keep in mind that the person they are "pinning" will be standing next to them in combat one day.

Old Marine
05-04-09, 09:07 AM
Barbaric Act, thats funny. Its a tradition that has been performed for many years. This new breed is going to hell. Ribon Creek ruined the Corps. I wonder what Chesty would say.

Petz
05-04-09, 11:46 PM
he'd probably go along with what the Corps mandated... then turned around and do it anyway...

if you keep it in certain circles you'll be fine... it shows that those pinning you trust you... especially with the NJP possibilities...

PaidinBlood
05-04-09, 11:49 PM
if you keep it in certain circles you'll be fine... it shows that those pinning you trust you... especially with the NJP possibilities...

That's the truth; not only is it a measure of trust, but also a display of approval. When a turd pins on 2 stripes, the pinning line is damned short. When everyone's favorite saw gunner (that hard working little guy who does everything you ask and then some) pins on Lance, he gets a healthy dose of brotherly love. It is what it is.

I can't remember a single strike that meant more than the accompanying handshakes and congratulations...

Petz
05-05-09, 12:01 AM
there are always those few who ruin it though... you'll have a Senior Marine who doesn't like you come up and do it just so he can get a swing in on you... I've seen that one before... the Sgt was a turd.

HurricaneRJ
05-05-09, 02:50 AM
That's the truth; not only is it a measure of trust, but also a display of approval. When a turd pins on 2 stripes, the pinning line is damned short. When everyone's favorite saw gunner (that hard working little guy who does everything you ask and then some) pins on Lance, he gets a healthy dose of brotherly love. It is what it is.

I can't remember a single strike that meant more than the accompanying handshakes and congratulations...
I was pinned Pfc. by senior Marines who didn't like me and I probably did deserve it in their eyes, but I was the last one to pick up so I had my whole squad pin me. Had the pins hit the veins and the bone, not to mention rubbing it into the bone. Hurt like ****, had quarter sized blood stains on my blouse. Of course none of them gave me a handshake and congratulations, just got a helluva gut punch afterwards.

Didn't get pinned Lance because I was promoted in 1stSgt's Office.

Old Marine
05-07-09, 03:22 PM
Liking leads to Loving.

Eric Hood
05-07-09, 03:23 PM
Hey! Isn't this torture?

PaidinBlood
05-07-09, 06:35 PM
Hey! Isn't this torture?

only when it happens to third world radical Islamic terrorists-I mean underprivileged, misunderstood individuals...:D

HurricaneRJ
05-07-09, 06:39 PM
Hey! Isn't this torture?
Torture.

I've been handcuffed to a chair and put in the shower and had a skivy shirt over my face with the shower raining down.:marine:
That was fun I must say, still can't believe people call that torture.

PaidinBlood
05-07-09, 06:50 PM
Careful, brother, you'll get someone in T-R-O-U-B-L-E....

Old Marine
05-08-09, 10:28 AM
Hey! Isn't this torture?

The liking or the loving??????