PDA

View Full Version : Military Academy bound

thedrifter
05-01-09, 05:58 AM
Military Academy bound

Student pilot dreams of one day flying as a pilot in the Marines

DAVID DONALD

Staff Writer

LEESBURG -- Thomas Broady dreams of flying planes for the military.

The fledgling pilot hopes to one day join the Marines and fly for his country.

The First Academy Leesburg student trains in a light two-seat Varga Kachina plane. Broady has a student certificate but is not yet a licensed pilot.

"It's nice to get a different perspective on things," said Broady. "I like flying a lot."

This summer, Broady will be one step closer to his dream. He was accepted into the summer programs at the United States Military Academy at West Point, The United States Naval Academy and The United States Air Force Academy. He will be attending both the Naval and Air Force academy programs but not the program at West Point.

The five-day orientation programs, Broady said, give potential students a perspective on what military academy life is like.

"I'm excited and relieved I got accepted," said Broady. "It looks really good when you actually send in your applications" to the academies.

After high school, Broady's first choice is to attend the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis and study to become an aeronautical engineer.

To even be considered for either of the military academies, Broady must be nominated by a U.S. senator, U.S. congressman, president or vice president.

Broady, 17, grew up around flying. His family owned an Alaska hunting lodge and the only way in or out was to fly. He didn't start learning to fly until he was 14 years old. He's an A and B student with a penchant for learning about history, especially military history.

"It's fascinating to look back, to see how people did things in the past and learn," he said.

Ellie