PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted or Officer Advice

Hendrix
04-30-09, 06:22 PM
Well after being called a f***tard, idiotic SOB, etc. by my father for saying I would like to enlist right after high school, I am re-evaluating my choice. In all honesty, I do not feel as though college is for me, and I know that as a boot 2nd Lieutenant I would not be ready to lead. Plus, I have heard Marines say that even if you do eventually become an officer, spending time as an enlisted man is extremely beneficial.

After saying all this, my father is still incredibly unconvinced. He suggested either ROTC or being in the Marine Reserves during college, but I can't get past the fact I would not be active duty. In addition, I know of Marines, even on this site, that decided to go enlisted, and have done 20+ years in the Corps. Plus, I want the whole experience. I want everything the Marine Corps can give me.

I guess I am just venting, but am also wondering if there really are significant advantages of being an officer? Also, can you make a career out of being in the 03xx field? And is it easier making a career out of the Corps as an officer?

ammermda
05-02-09, 08:15 AM
Your dad's suggestion to do ROTC or Reserves during college is a good one. Education is very important, and it will give you a small taste of the life. You can make a better decision after that.

sparkie
05-02-09, 08:35 AM
Why eat mac n cheese, when you can have the steak?

Just my old 2 cents.

Hendrix
05-02-09, 11:01 AM
Why eat mac n cheese, when you can have the steak?

Just my old 2 cents.

Sergeant, are you saying enlisted is the way to go instead of ROTC?

And yes Lieutenant, but couldn't I always go to college after a 4-year contract?

CplHawk
05-02-09, 01:30 PM

And yes Lieutenant, but couldn't I always go to college after a 4-year contract?

My personal opinion is that it is your life and your decision. Your dad has every right to throw in his 2-cents on what he thinks would be most beneficial to you, but you need to make the decision overall. My advice is to take some time to sit and really think about what YOU want. Every Marine (enlisted or officer) can tell you his/her opinion on the matter, but ultimately it all comes down to what you want. You're out of high school now, no more depending on others to tell you how to live your life (granted, you'll always be told what to do by senior Marines once you join, but the decision for your life is yours).

Also just FYI, I've never heard an officer called by his rank unless a senior officer was talking to a junior; all other times it's just simply "Sir".

sparkie
05-03-09, 07:26 AM

Go to school. A lot of things can happen in 4 years.

Hendrix
05-03-09, 03:29 PM
My personal opinion is that it is your life and your decision. Your dad has every right to throw in his 2-cents on what he thinks would be most beneficial to you, but you need to make the decision overall. My advice is to take some time to sit and really think about what YOU want. Every Marine (enlisted or officer) can tell you his/her opinion on the matter, but ultimately it all comes down to what you want. You're out of high school now, no more depending on others to tell you how to live your life (granted, you'll always be told what to do by senior Marines once you join, but the decision for your life is yours).

Also just FYI, I've never heard an officer called by his rank unless a senior officer was talking to a junior; all other times it's just simply "Sir".

Damn, always forget to say "Sir". Thank you for the advice, Corporal.

And Sergeant, I am now strongly considering it. I still have time to decide, though.

Rocky C
05-03-09, 03:36 PM
Follow Your Heart. It has never let me down yet.
You can analize and over-analize but ultimetly it all comes down to the Heart...